Service Pack PS3

A place for all old random modding threads.
Also, feel free to ask any questions here!
Gridiron
MVP

Service Pack PS3

Postby Gridiron » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:16 pm

Integration of PlayStation3 into MADDEN '08 PC
Expand your potential opponent pool by millions of PlayStation3 users.

As you may already know, MADDEN NFL '08 officially supports gamepads compatible with the legacy Logitech Dual Action and XBOX controllers.
If a supported controller is detected and used by a player, then special controller button icons are displayed within the simulation for that player.

Logitech compatible controller buttons are shown as white numbers on black circles.
PIX1.png
PIX1.png (4.67 KiB) Viewed 9044 times

XBOX compatible controller buttons are shown as white letters on colored circles.
PIX2.png
PIX2.png (13.41 KiB) Viewed 9044 times

To develop the correct "muscle memory" I generally discourage the use of unsupported gamepads with MADDEN PC.
The button icons for any unsupported gamepad that Windows recognizes are shown as white numbers on light gray circles.

PIX3.png
PIX3.png (11.08 KiB) Viewed 9044 times

Unfortunately there was no PlayStation3 support built into MADDEN PC,
although the PS3 controllers are much more like Logitechs than the XBOX gamepads are.

Using PS3 Controllers with MADDEN '08 PC

With a simple registry tweak many generic PS3 controllers will work perfectly!

This is a generic PS3 controller model that I've procured from GameStop,
http://www.gamestop.com/ps3/accessories/ps3-controller/77446

When plugged into a computer USB port, both Windows XP & Vista recognize it as a 'Afterglow controller for PS3'.
All of the buttons function identically to the 'Logitech Dual Action USB'.
The only real problem is that the right analog stick was turned 90 degrees counterclockwise.
As expected, using the generic PS3 controller triggers the gray button icon display within MADDEN PC.

This common right analog stick problem, and one solution is described on the page:
http://howtobyte.blogspot.com/2009/05/fifa-08-generic-gamepad-right-analog.html
The fix is to spoof Windows into believing the connected stick is other than what it is, so that another driver will be used.
It turns out that the Logitech gamepad drivers in Windows work well to transform the GameStop Afterglow PS3 controller
into a 100% functional Logitech Dual Action controller.
Which means other than the manufacturer codes, the generic Afterglow PS3 controller must actually be an exact Logitech clone!

The quick, permanent, easily reversible 'hack' is described below.
It works in both Windows XP and Vista to transform the Afterglow into a Logitech for your computer.
You'll need to use regedit, and if you don't know how to use that, then get some help making the changes.
Steps 1, 2, & 3 are needed for both XP & Vista.

Code: Select all

1)  Obtain the system name for your controller from the Control Panel > Game Controllers app.
2)  Using regedit, find the specific subkey in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM
which contains the matching OEMName.  'Afterglow controller for PS3' in this case.
3) Change that OEMName value to 'Logitech Dual Action USB'.  Use the exact name without quotes. 

After completing the first three steps XP users can then exit regedit, the 'hack' is complete.
Steps 4 & 5 are only needed for Windows Vista computers.

4)  Find the subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_****&PID_****
which contains the matching OEMName.   'Afterglow controller for PS3' in this case.
5)  Change that OEMName value to 'Logitech Dual Action USB'. 

Vista users exit regedit, the 'hack' is complete.
Your GameStop generic PS3 controller will thereafter be seen by MADDEN (and Windows)
as a Logitech Dual Action, and it will function perfectly in that role!
If you already use a 'Logitech Dual Action USB' on your system, then substitute 'Logitech Rumblepad 2 USB' instead.
If you already use both controllers on your system, then you probably don't need to use this 'hack'.

I've purchased two different types of PS3 controllers to learn what I'm sharing with you here,
and I don't even own a PS3. Therefore I will give you no guarantee about the following claim,
and I do not plan to test other PS3 gamepads, but I believe the 'hack' shown above should work for any
generic PS3 controller with a OEMName identified by Windows not to be the
'PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller' OEMName used by the official SONY gamepads and clones.
Any feedback which verifies or disproves my conjecture is appreciated.

Snakebyte PS3 Wired Controller

As a part of this research, I procured the dual shock Snakebyte model pictured above for $12 at my local WalMart.
Like a genuine SONY PS3 gamepad, it was recognized by Windows as a 'PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller'.
Used in MADDEN, it triggers the gray button icons, but much worse than the generic GameStop PS3 gamepad,
the receiver buttons are in reverse order, along with the right analog stick turned 90 degrees
The quick and easy registry 'hack' shown above does not work with the official Sony PS3 controllers and clones,
The only solution that I know of to properly configure Windows for this type of
controller to be used by MADDEN PC, is to use the free MotioninJoy driver utility. http://www.motioninjoy.com/download
Microsoft's .net 3.5 framework must be already installed on your computer to run MotioninJoy.
At the following link are instructions for using MotioninJoy to connect a genuine Sony PS3 controller for MADDEN PC.
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3755
MotioninJoy is designed to operate with official Sony PS3 controllers and clones,
it does not recognize the Afterglow generic PS3 gamepad.
The computer must be connected to the internet to activate the MotioninJoy PS3 gamepad driver.
Considering the price, MotioninJoy works well at what it does, setting up the computer to
allow a PS3 controller to function perfectly as a XBOX controller for Windows.
However, the first time a PlayStationer uses their PS3 controller to play MADDEN NFL PC,
they may be a bit put off by the XBOX controller button icons showing up in the simulation. .
GRIDIRON! The 1st physics based computer football simulation.

Service Pack PS3

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gridiron
MVP

Re: Service Pack PS3

Postby Gridiron » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:24 pm

Play MADDEN '08 PC with PS3 Controller Icons

The idea behind the MADDEN NFL '08 PC TexMod package files contained in the attached file PS3onPC.zip
is to provide support for players who are accustomed to playing MADDEN on PlayStation3 consoles.
(Also the files support players accustomed to legacy Logitech icons when using a connected XBOX or PS3 gamepad,
and there's support for new MADDEN PC players who may be using a Logitech F-series controller.)

TexMod package files

PlayStation3_Icons.tpf      Replaces Logitech with PlayStation3 icons.
PS3&PC_Hybrid_Icons.tpf     Replaces Logitech with hybrid PS3/PC icons.
Logitech_to_PS3-XBOX.tpf    Replaces Logitech with hybrid PS3/XBOX icons.
Logitech_F-series_Icons.tpf Replaces Logitech with Logitech F-*10 icons.
XBOX_to_Hybrid_Icons.tpf    Replaces XBOX with PS3/PC hybrid icons.
XBOX_to_Logitech_Legacy_Icons.tpf  Replaces XBOX with Logitech(PC) icons.
XBOX_to_PS3_Icons.tpf       Replaces XBOX icons with PS3 icons.
XBOX_to_Xhybrid.tpf         Replaces XBOX icons with XBOX/PC icons.

PIX4.png
PIX4.png (243.23 KiB) Viewed 9044 times
Defense: XBOX controller displaying XBOX icons. Offense: Logitech controller displaying PS3 icons.

A couple of small items in the playbook diagram icon modifications did not work out exactly as I wanted them to.
In the offensive playbook diagrams shown during play selection when using a XBOX controller while displaying
PS3 icons, the L1 and R1 receivers icons are shown as LO and RO.

PIX5.png
PIX5.png (230.91 KiB) Viewed 9044 times
Defense: Logitech controller displaying Logitech F-series icons. Offense: XBOX controller displaying PS3 icons.

When using a XBOX controller while displaying Logitech icons,
the 5 and 6 receiver icons are shown on the play diagrams as L3 and R3.

PIX6.png
PIX6.png (134.72 KiB) Viewed 9044 times
Offense: XBOX controller displaying legacy Logitech icons.

Also, if you load two button icon packages, one to display icons using a Logitech compatible controller,
and another package to display icons using a XBOX controller, certain combinations cause a conflict.
Depending on the .tpf load order, for one of the players offensive play diagrams might show the wrong receiver icons.

The hybrid icon packages are intended for situations when there is one player who prefers the PS3 icons,
while the other player prefers the Logitech icons, and both controllers being used are of the same type.

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:27 pm

All of the controller button icon packages modify the referee's caps to include the NFL shield logo.

PIX7.png
PIX7.png (124.32 KiB) Viewed 9044 times

Rounding out this PS3onPC service pack...
MADDEN NFL PC commands translated into PS3 symbols

MADDEN 13 PC controls Playstation3 - offense.png
MADDEN 13 PC controls Playstation3 - defense.png

PIX8.png
PIX8.png (23.89 KiB) Viewed 9044 times

After you make these changes to your MADDEN PC installation,
and make a printout of the PS3 controller command reference sheets,
then those who are accustomed to playing MADDEN on a PlayStation3,
can feel right at home playing MADDEN '08 on your PC.
Attachments
PS3onPC.zip
contains various icon replacement .tpfs, plus controller command sheets using PS3 icons
(879.26 KiB) Downloaded 1038 times

PML17
Hall of Fame

Postby PML17 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:36 pm

Nice, thanks for posting!
Retired from the Fourm. I check back in once a month, sorry in advance for late replies.

truetothegame13
MVP

Postby truetothegame13 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:18 am

good stuff. will give it a try asap. thanks
My Corner (my threads): Includes tips for graphics, settings, screen resolution, sliders. Great roster resources from multi-platforms (converting/porting). 4GB patch for 64-bit processors.

BR_DreadlocK
Veteran

Postby BR_DreadlocK » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:08 pm

Hey man, great job.
I need a big favor...
There is a big community here in Brazil and many people use a generic PS2/PS3 controller, but there is a problem cuz the buttons are different from the usa logitech controller.
The configuration here must be 10 9 4 3 2 1 5 6 7 8, instead of the standard 10 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8.
So when we load the file PlayStation3_Icons.tpf, off course, the buttons appear inversed (square=triangle and X=circle).
Then if u could made a new .tpf file with this customized control (10 9 4 3 2 1 5 6 7 8) we would be very pleased.
Is that possible? I think the only work u'll have will be to get the new codes of the button 2 (i think i already got one: 0xA970F839) and change the .bpm files names.
Could you do that? Pleaaase!

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:30 am

BR_DreadlocK wrote:Hey man, great job.
I need a big favor...
There is a big community here in Brazil and many people use a generic PS2/PS3 controller, but there is a problem cuz the buttons are different from the usa logitech controller.
The configuration here must be 10 9 4 3 2 1 5 6 7 8, instead of the standard 10 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8.
So when we load the file PlayStation3_Icons.tpf, off course, the buttons appear inversed (square=triangle and X=circle).
Then if u could made a new .tpf file with this customized control (10 9 4 3 2 1 5 6 7 8) we would be very pleased.
Is that possible? I think the only work u'll have will be to get the new codes of the button 2 (i think i already got one: 0xA970F839) and change the .bpm files names.
Could you do that? Pleaaase!

I believe that this button reversal issue (4321 → 1234) is explained in the post: http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4521#p20232
I do not comprehend the changes that you are asking for, therefore I have attached the .tpf package build folder so that you can make the customizations yourself if you know how to use TexMod.
Once you finished your modification kindly post it so I can understand the changes, and the package may be useful for others in the situation as well.

That having been posted, I'm thinking that your attempt to use the PS3 controllers with MADDEN will be solved by what is in this thread:
how to use a PS3 controller w/Madden: http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3755
Using MiJ and the "XBOX_to_PS3_Icons.tpf" contained in the zip attached to post #3 will probably solve the problem which you have described.

BR_DreadlocK, it is good to know that American football is appreciated in South America. :D
Attachments
PlayStation3_Icons.zip
TPF build folder for PS3 button icons
(102.96 KiB) Downloaded 491 times

BR_DreadlocK
Veteran

Postby BR_DreadlocK » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:08 am

Thanks for your attention.
But there are another problems... in thruth I dont know how to use the Texmod well, I tryied, but I use a notebook without num pad or num lock functions, so I cant get the textures, I asked for a friend to get that one for me.
But the bigger problem is I dont know where to get all the textures, i mean in game. With the files u sent me, I will need the codes and I think I'll be still confused...
For you this will be very easy, its quite simple, let me explain better, then u can see exactly what I'm talking about...

1. Run the game with the Texmod with the "PlayStation3_Icons.tpf" file.
2. Go to Menu / Profile / Control Config
3. On Configuration set CUSTOM
4. Remap buttons order like this:
Passing: 10 9 4 3 2 1 5 6 7 8
Rushing: 10 9 4 3 2 1 5 6 7 8
Receiving: 10 9 4 3 2 1 5
Defense: 10 9 4 3 2 1 5 6 7 8
Blocking: 10 9 4 3 2 1 5 6 7 8
5. Now run the game, and you'll see that the buttons are inverted, Triangle <=> Square / Circle <=> X.
And instead of the X in game appears the number 2, because there isn't an image associated with that texture, then the game loads the original logitech one.
6. Now what you need to do is simply get the missing textures codes with this new controller configuration and associate the button images you already have in a new .log file.

I think if you could do a .tpf file with these changings would be better than using the MiJ cuz really simplify the things... would be less instructions to follow and without the ds3 tool, would be one less thing to run before madden. And without MiJ there wouldn't be the playbook L1-R1 to Lo-Ro problem too...

So, again, could you do that? Pleeaaaase! =)

For motivation, see how big is our community: https://www.facebook.com/MaddenNFLBrasil

BR_DreadlocK
Veteran

Postby BR_DreadlocK » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:38 am

Also, this is the solution for what you wrote here:

http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4521#p20232

I can see the logic behind the Asian rim manufacturing companies deciding to number the buttons clockwise starting at the north position, it certainly seems better than the button numbering layout used on the Logitechs, which is definitely weird. So the new gamepads are not inferior, just incompatible with this legacy application.

For some reason, most of these dual stick gamepad controllers provide a MODE switch to swap the D-pad and left analog stick. I will not recommend that anyone buy one of these cheap sticks for MADDEN, until the manufacturers start providing another switch to remap the buttons to the emerging standard, or they include a software driver to do the same thing.

I have concluded after reading many pages on the web, that a general software solution for button remapping is a hideously complex undertaking, and will not be accomplished by the faint of heart. Utilities such as Xpadder can only map the gamepad buttons to keyboard or mouse input. I wish I could find that one page which contained a description of the technical hurdles in creating a button remapping software utility program for a controller. I did find that RustyHearts forum where they have been struggling with a solution to their gamepadconfig.exe problem for over a year. http://rustyhearts-forum.perfectworld.c ... p?t=147891 Ironically (as far as I know), only Logitech supplies their users with gamepad software containing this functionality.

But wait you say, doesn't MADDEN on the PC support controller button remapping? Well if you select from the game's main MENU > PROFILES > CONTROL CONFIG, then you'll see a nice user interface which indicates that users can remap the various game actions to alternate controller buttons. That menu is a fraud. It does not work. No matter what button numbers you enter there, after finishing when you press the 1 button on your controller, the game process a 1, and NOT what it is supposed to be remapped to (4). And don't even think about assigning anything to either one of the analog stick buttons, unless you are looking for a quick way to leave MADDEN.

For a program this legendary, from such an established software house, selling bugs this obvious is inexcusable, almost reprehensible. Good design dictates that a game this complex is supposed to process controller button remapping. Not the controller, not some utility driver running in Windows, but the game simulator. This functionality was also broken in the MADDEN NFL games released on the other platforms at the time, and it very well still may be dysfunctional. http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/96202.page However it isn't as big of an issue there, since there are de facto controller standards for the consoles. I continue to look for a solution to the controller button remapping, with my latest efforts focusing on registry hacking. Wish me luck.

These low end controllers can work pretty well with your PS icons, only need a simple a remapping. =)

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:43 am

BR_DreadlocK wrote:Thanks for your attention.
But there are another problems... in thruth I dont know how to use the Texmod well, I tryied, but I use a notebook without num pad or num lock functions, so I cant get the textures, I asked for a friend to get that one for me.
But the bigger problem is I dont know where to get all the textures, i mean in game. With the files u sent me, I will need the codes and I think I'll be still confused...
For you this will be very easy, its quite simple, let me explain better, then u can see exactly what I'm talking about...

1. Run the game with the Texmod with the "PlayStation3_Icons.tpf" file.
2. Go to Menu / Profile / Control Config
3. On Configuration set CUSTOM
4. Remap buttons order like this:
Passing: 10 9 4 3 2 1 5 6 7 8
Rushing: 10 9 4 3 2 1 5 6 7 8
Receiving: 10 9 4 3 2 1 5
Defense: 10 9 4 3 2 1 5 6 7 8
Blocking: 10 9 4 3 2 1 5 6 7 8
5. Now run the game, and you'll see that the buttons are inverted, Triangle <=> Square / Circle <=> X.
And instead of the X in game appears the number 2, because there isn't an image associated with that texture, then the game loads the original logitech one.
6. Now what you need to do is simply get the missing textures codes with this new controller configuration and associate the button images you already have in a new .log file.

I think if you could do a .tpf file with these changings would be better than using the MiJ cuz really simplify the things... would be less instructions to follow and without the ds3 tool, would be one less thing to run before madden. And without MiJ there wouldn't be the playbook L1-R1 to Lo-Ro problem too...

So, again, could you do that? Pleeaaaase! =)

For motivation, see how big is our community: https://www.facebook.com/MaddenNFLBrasil

I can not do that because as far as I know button remapping within MADDEN 08 does not work on the PC.
Check and see if your controller buttons are actually being remapped.

The more that I think about it, based on the fact that you are using a clone PS3 controller, the MiJ solution which correctly configures your computer to read a PS3 controller as an XBOX controller is the best option that I know to use the clone PS3 controllers.

Apparently there are two types of generic PS3 controllers.
The ones that flip the 4321 buttons around I call clones because Windows recognizes them as a 'PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller',
and the ones that don't, which I'll continue to refer to as generic PS3 controllers.
The clones like you have, which flip the buttons around, need MiJ to straighten out the buttons.
Once MiJ is configured then from that point on all you have to do is click on the DS3tool icon to enable the correct driver.

You'll still need to run TexMod to load the PS3 icon package, but then you will have exactly what you need.

Good to see such a large community supporting MADDEN on the PC.
Hopefully we can interact in some online games.

BR_DreadlocK wrote:Also, this is the solution for what you wrote here:

http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4521#p20232

These low end controllers can work pretty well with your PS icons, only need a simple a remapping. =)

I wished it were that easy. EA should be ashamed that the button remapping function did not work and they did not patch it.
Apparently there was the same bug on the console versions back in '08.
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/96202.page
Of course after seeing the subsequent EA decisions perhaps this controller configuration functionality was intentionally removed?

Return to “Archive + Q&A”