Dynamic Lighting Mod (DAT)

A collection of all finished mods!
1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Re: Dynamic Lighting Mod (DAT)

Postby 1312qohelet » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:43 am

trey31 wrote:The dev team basically just didn't quite understand what they were doing, or didn't know exactly how to do what they were trying to do... Which is probably why there are 4-source light cubemaps for artificially-lit stadiums (domes/night games) but they don't actually work with the single source global lighting used in every stadium in the game... smh

This statement makes a shit-ton of sense...especially, if you step back and think.
Madden NFL 2001 was issued for PS2 in the Summer of 2000.
There have been minimal, minimal graphic improvements over the 13/14 year cycle of this particular generation. I think Madden 2012 was the final release for PS2/PSP.
Sure, they made improvements to gameplay, animations, stadiums, a couple helmets, but uniform quality, equipment, and the lighting contions stayed virtually the same.
This is even more asinine, because the full hardware capabilities of the Playstation 2 hadn't been fulfilled...PS2's were still warm from the factory in the year 2000.

Sponsor

Sponsor

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:50 am

1312qohelet wrote:
trey31 wrote:The dev team basically just didn't quite understand what they were doing, or didn't know exactly how to do what they were trying to do... Which is probably why there are 4-source light cubemaps for artificially-lit stadiums (domes/night games) but they don't actually work with the single source global lighting used in every stadium in the game... smh

This statement makes a shit-ton of sense...especially, if you step back and think.
Madden NFL 2001 was issued for PS2 in the Summer of 2000.
There have been minimal, minimal graphic improvements over the 13/14 year cycle of this particular generation. I think Madden 2012 was the final release for PS2/PSP.
Sure, they made improvements to gameplay, animations, stadiums, a couple helmets, but uniform quality, equipment, and the lighting contions stayed virtually the same.
This is even more asinine, because the full hardware capabilities of the Playstation 2 hadn't been fulfilled...PS2's were still warm from the factory in the year 2000.

My first PS2 that I waited in a looong line for actually was so warm that it melted the first week I had it :lol: Good thing it happened within the 90-day warranty!

But yes I agree with you completely. From 2000-2011 (2001-12) Madden was simply a roster update every year. and the issues they hadn't worked out in 2000, never got worked out... :x

And the fact that there are multiple cubemaps with proper light sources for bloom and shading, literally in the SHADERDAT.dat, but not being used or not being used properly tells me someone tried to fix some things at some point, and his/her superiors shot the idea down in favor of more roster edits, probably. Makes me mad.

I haven't bought a new/unopened/digital EA Sports game in almost 10 years. No plans to in the future either...
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

rambolz
All-Pro

Postby rambolz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:11 am

Everything looks great!

Does this have any effect on anything else in the game? I mean stadium lighting, player shadows? I'll be sure to test it out soon and tell you what I think ;)

prevas
All-Pro

Postby prevas » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:17 am

Just played with Raiders with their home unis, black uniforms actually look black now. Amazing work trey !

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:30 am

trey31 wrote:I haven't bought a new/unopened/digital EA Sports game in almost 10 years. No plans to in the future either...

I bought '12, '13, and '16 for the 360. 12 was the best, but even it sucked pretty hard. I've played '17 and '18 on PS4...the only things I like are the helmets.

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:42 am

That shine on the uniforms were an eye sore.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:41 am

1312qohelet wrote:
trey31 wrote:I haven't bought a new/unopened/digital EA Sports game in almost 10 years. No plans to in the future either...

I bought '12, '13, and '16 for the 360. 12 was the best, but even it sucked pretty hard. I've played '17 and '18 on PS4...the only things I like are the helmets.

Oh I've got a bunch of EA Madden and NCAA titles, I just bought them second hand so as to reimburse the last guy who bought it from EA, versus giving EA the money. This way they only get the funds from one sale. Can you tell I'm bitter?? :lol:
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:44 am

rambolz wrote:Everything looks great!

Does this have any effect on anything else in the game? I mean stadium lighting, player shadows? I'll be sure to test it out soon and tell you what I think ;)

I think the stadium shaders, which I can log with TexMod, are actually somewhere else other than the shader dat. I would LOVE for someone to find them and let me know... Since they are static shadows I could REALLY do some dynamic stuff with them.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:45 am

elguapo wrote:That shine on the uniforms were an eye sore.

100% agreed. Plus when I first started work on TPF arms/hands, they caused so many issues with those textures it was unreal.

rambolz
All-Pro

Postby rambolz » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:39 pm

Where do you put the file? In Documents > Madden NFL 08?

Return to “Finished Mods”