The "facemask problem"

TheRareButter
MVP

Re: The "facemask problem"

Postby TheRareButter » Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:42 am

I think NFL Head Coach (Madden 06) has better "at distance" face masks than M08, they almost become invisible but they aren't the low resolution graphic.
Attachments
NFL Head Coach 2_27_2023 11_39_02 PM.png
NFL Head Coach 2_27_2023 11_39_02 PM.png (3 MiB) Viewed 1125 times
NFL Head Coach 2_27_2023 11_39_28 PM.png
See the sideline facemask vs the players
NFL Head Coach 2_27_2023 11_39_28 PM.png (3.01 MiB) Viewed 1125 times

Sponsor

Sponsor

Harry97
All-Pro

Postby Harry97 » Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:35 pm

TheRareButter wrote:I think NFL Head Coach (Madden 06) has better "at distance" face masks than M08, they almost become invisible but they aren't the low resolution graphic.

It would be helpful to know if there is a file in one of the DATs that controls at what distance the "high quality" face masks become visible. Because in Madden and NCAA on PS2, when playing on the demo camera, when it zooms out enough, the facemasks (and the player models in general) will pop back to a different quality. There's a zoom distance where the player models, helmets and face masks will change quality, and if this doesn't happen in NFL Head Coach 06, then perhaps we can use whatever file that determines that from NFL HC 06 to resolve that popping between different quality textures problem when playing on the demo camera in Madden or NCAA.

I know that in most PC games, you can usually find a certain "visual settings" file that allows you to change the graphics settings so you can see higher quality textures from further away, that wouldn't have been enabled by default, and sometimes isn't adjustable as an in-game option, so that it wouldn't switch so dramatically to different versions of the same texture depending on how far out you are zoomed. I don't know if anyone knows where such a "visual settings" file may be located in Madden or NFL Head Coach 06, but it could potentially be a breakthrough if in fact NFL Head Coach allows you to see higher quality player models, helmets, facemasks, etc farther zoomed out. If that could be applied to Madden or NCAA it would be a huge breakthrough to resolve that popping of different quality textures at a certain zoomed out distance.

TheRareButter
MVP

Postby TheRareButter » Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:03 pm

CLMCC wrote:This new FMASL template is included in the updated "Single File Uniform 9.29.20" , which also includes the new sized "nameplate" at 2984x32

get it here http://www.mediafire.com/file/l3bwx704k ... 0.zip/file

Could you re-upload this?

EDIT: And how did you make the clear graphic? If I knew how to do that I could make a clear helmet and facemask for the combine uniforms.

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:01 pm

Try using texmod with textures that have different size mipmaps to see if changing the size of the original texture is worth it and before you mess your uniform.

That should go for every texture in madden.

datmanmadden59x
Pro Bowl

Postby datmanmadden59x » Fri Oct 20, 2023 7:23 am

Hi guys,
This is for an individual or any single team - at the distance of greater than 5 yards, there is a different facemask texture than the one you see from 1-5 yards. You can log it with Texmod as a dds file so you can see the translucency. Then you can change that color of that facemask color and save that file as a png and place it back into a Texmod package for your team. I only saw a a single facemask file (2 bar mask) so all the players on your one team will wear the same mask color and shape from greater than 5 yard distance.

Also, in the pladata.dat, with the DFR replace file 5 (size 154944) with file 3 (size 940544). This will change the player model at 20 yards to pretty much high quality. You will see long hair like dreads or mullets at 20 yards or greater but not between 5 and 20 yards. Player equipment should also look correct. The only exception after 20 yards is the players lose there stomach fatness. I have not figured out where the hi res textures from 5-15 yards are.

Good luck.

Edit: I meant between "5-20 yards" and not "5-15 yards." Also, at 20 yards or greater, the face of the player becomes translucent.

Harry97
All-Pro

Postby Harry97 » Fri Oct 20, 2023 10:12 am

datmanmadden59x wrote:Hi guys,
This is for an individual or any single team - at the distance of greater than 5 yards, there is a different facemask texture than the one you see from 1-5 yards. You can log it with Texmod as a dds file so you can see the translucency. Then you can change that color of that facemask color and save that file as a png and place it back into a Texmod package for your team. I only saw a a single facemask file (2 bar mask) so all the players on your one team will wear the same mask color and shape from greater than 5 yard distance.

Also, in the pladata.dat, with the DFR replace file 5 (size 154944) with file 3 (size 940544). This will change the player model at 20 yards to pretty much high quality. You will see long hair like dreads or mullets at 20 yards or greater but not between 5 and 20 yards. Player equipment should also look correct. The only exception after 20 yards is the players lose there stomach fatness. I have not figured out where the hi res textures from 5-15 yards are.

Good luck.

That's an important discovery. So it's in PLADATA.DAT where the high res / low res textures based on camera distance away are. That's something I'm very interested in trying to correct. Do you think there's another file within PLADATA.DAT that has the textures between 5 and 20 yards away? Perhaps we can use file 3 to make the same high quality player model texture appear at any camera distance away. That's interesting that you can get more details to appear at distance by using file 3 in file 5, but not the stomach fatness. Perhaps there's another file in PLADATA.DAT that makes stomach fatness appear at distance.

Return to “Graphics”