Corona Virus vs MikeWest5

Anything and everything.
MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:01 pm

I spent the last two days in the hospital after being diagnosed with the virus. I'm doing so much better than a few days ago. The sad thing for me was I am fully vaccinated and i did not come into direct contact with anyone the day it all started. But the bug had my name on the list. I went out to get the mail. Two day's later the virus fired the first of many devastating shots.

I am at home resting well. My doctors say I shold be fine and expected to recover with no complications. I do hsve bouts of shortneess of breath as I try to do certain things. I have been prescribed a steroid and oxygen just in case it gets any worse. I can manage, I just need to patient with the healing process. I lost 17 pounds in 6 days. From a solid 196 now 179.

Everyone please be safe, follow the normal protocals, wears your masks and gloves when out in public places. Wash your hands and sanitize your home as best you can.

Now there's another strain stronger than the delta variant headed to the USA. Take no unnecessary risks for yourself, your family and friends.

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Corona Virus vs MikeWest5

Postby RevanFan » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:48 pm

Had you gotten your booster yet? I haven't had mine yet but I want to schedule it soon. I had J&J so I really need it.

Rest up and don't exert yourself too much.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

JPMoneyman
All-Pro

Postby JPMoneyman » Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:55 pm

MikeWest

Sorry to hear you have to go through that man,

That virus is a nasty little customer for sure,

Wishing a good recovery for you and sooner rather than later and for good health for all your family during that period.

Rest well and get well soon

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:18 pm

Thanks guys for the well wishes. I am surely taking it slow. I appreciate your concern. Revanfan, I didn't get the booster yet. I'm not so sure it would have made much difference at this point. I was scheduled, but now I have to wait until after my lockdown is over.

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:22 pm

MikeWest502 wrote:
Now there's another strain stronger than the delta variant headed to the USA. Take no unnecessary risks for yourself, your family and friends.

Where are you getting the information that the new strain is stronger?

I’m glad to hear you’re recovering even tho the vaccine is not effective against catching and spreading the virus.

This news clip says no one knows if this strain is stronger or the current vaccines are effective (which they are not) against it.
https://youtu.be/qCRZHnX7PwY
https://youtu.be/

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:14 pm

elguapo wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:

Where are you getting the information that the new strain is stronger?

I’m glad to hear you’re recovering even tho the vaccine is not effective against catching and spreading the virus.

This news clip says no one knows if this strain is stronger or the current vaccines are effective (which they are not) against it.

In no way are you able to say the vaccines are NOT effective against the new variant. It hasn't been around long enough for anyone to know that, not even epidemiologists. And while we don't yet know if the new variant truly is worse than Delta, currently we know that there are at least 30 changes to the spike protein (I've seen some reports as high as 43), where Delta had far fewer. 18 I think, though I can't quite recall exactly. The changes Delta had match some of the South Africa variant, though, so it's likely it's at least as infective and severe as Delta.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-03552-w/

Unfortunately, until more is known the best we can do is get booster shots if we've already been vaccinated, get vaccinated if we haven't been yet, and wear proper masks indoors around people you don't know and trust. And I say proper masks because, well, frankly cloth masks were good at the start when there was a PPE shortage, but there is no longer a shortage of effective masks. Chinese KN95 masks and other similar masks from other countries can be acquired now relatively affordably and in large quantities, and surgical masks are available abundantly if you can't get the really strong ones for some reason. But fitted masks are preferred.

Don't be afraid of this new variant. Just be cautious and keep up current best practices until we know more. While this is alarming certainly, it's not time to panic yet, and frankly never will be if we take care of ourselves and each other.
My Cowboys Journal

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:27 am

RevanFan wrote:In no way are you able to say the vaccines are NOT effective against the new variant.

The changes Delta had match some of the South Africa variant, though, so it's likely it's at least as infective and severe as Delta.

If omicron is at least as infective and severe as Delta and current vaccines are not effective against the Delta variant then the current ( or future ) vaccines will be ineffective as well.

This report explains that states are 70% or higher vaccinated but they are getting infected and if they are getting infected they are spreading the virus.

This guy is a tax preparer but he's been giving daily updates since the beginning of the pandemic. I think he's left leaning but he reports data, true data that I sometimes don't want to agree on but data is hard to disprove.

https://youtu.be/G8Lk9ptzaCw
[youtube]https://youtu.be/G8Lk9ptzaCw[/youtube]

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:22 pm

elguapo wrote:
RevanFan wrote:In no way are you able to say the vaccines are NOT effective against the new variant.

The changes Delta had match some of the South Africa variant, though, so it's likely it's at least as infective and severe as Delta.

If omicron is at least as infective and severe as Delta and current vaccines are not effective against the Delta variant then the current ( or future ) vaccines will be ineffective as well.

This report explains that states are 70% or higher vaccinated but they are getting infected and if they are getting infected they are spreading the virus.

This guy is a tax preparer but he's been giving daily updates since the beginning of the pandemic. I think he's left leaning but he reports data, true data that I sometimes don't want to agree on but data is hard to disprove.

https://youtu.be/G8Lk9ptzaCw
[youtube]https://youtu.be/G8Lk9ptzaCw[/youtube]

It doesn't matter if someone is left or right leaning. This virus isn't political. Or at least it shouldn't be. My extremely liberal mother and my extremely conservative father are both vaccinated. My dad hates masks, but I nag him to wear them haha. Probably helps that my grandpa is a very pro-vaccine former science teacher with a doctorate. Though one of his kids isn't vaccinated and can't visit him because he's in an assisted living place.

As for crashing the markets... honestly any new variant will crash the markets until we know more about it and begin to contain it. I'm no economist though, so I don't know the details of how panic affects the markets. I just know it does. I'll have to watch that video to see what he says, but frankly, I care more about public health concerns than market concerns... unless those market concerns affect computer hardware haha. Then I care more.

As for vaccines... everything I've seen indicates that boosted individuals are much more protected versus Delta. It's not foolproof completely, no, but it's a lot better than someone who isn't boosted. And from what I've read, most of the hospitalized vaccinated people haven't been boosted yet. I will do some more research to confirm that, but that's what I initially read. One of the reason I've been nagging my dad to get his booster haha. He's an Uber driver and as such is always in contact with strangers. Unfortunately, it seems like we're on a path where we'll have to be getting COVID boosters for a long time. It's too far spread around the world to truly be contained anymore, so we'll have to adjust. Hopefully enough people will get vaccinated and boosted that variants will stop forming as rapidly... but I have my doubts that will happen. But I'll continue to do my part. And I will nag my friends and family too, though thankfully most have not hesitated to follow the recommended course of action.

Which reminds me, I need to call my GP and see if they do boosters. Have to go in for a checkup soon anyway, so I might as well get two birds with one stone.

Also, if the worst does come to be and the variant is particularly vaccine-resistant, researchers can always make a vaccine that specifically targets that variant. Might take a little while but it's more than possible.
My Cowboys Journal

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:11 am

Turns out my GP does NOT do boosters, but a supermarket 10 minutes away does, so I'm signed up. It'll be nice to leave the house with less fear. Well, until that new variant shows up anyway.
My Cowboys Journal

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:41 am

RevanFan wrote:It doesn't matter if someone is left or right leaning. This virus isn't political.

In a perfect world that would be the case.

Did you view the previous video and did you catch what he said about the omicron variant? If you didn’t catch it the guy said that the omicron is under two watch lists. One is the “variance of concern” which basically is a watch for worst case scenario an the one the mainstream media reports on. The other watch list is the “variance of interest” which they watch to see if this strain is a nothing burger like previous strains. The media doesn’t report on that watch list and it makes you wonder why.

In this example the journalist explain how the viruses get named by WHO and the omicron should have been called Xi but opted to skip that name as to not offend the Chinese. If that is not being political on health issues then I don’t know what is.

https://youtu.be/qczfMc2JS8E

https://youtu.be/

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”