Ryan Tannehill Named Starter for Dolphins

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Re: Ryan Tannehill Named Starter for Dolphins

Postby NickyJ » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:08 am

BelieverInTeal wrote:Also of note is that while Tannehill is the 8th pick overall, he’s still the third QB picked in the draft which means two other guys are ahead of him. Other than Todd McShay, there’s no one else I can find that thinks he will be an elite QB like Griffin or Luck or eventually like Brady or Brees. But, I took a quick look at some of the third QB’s picked in the last 10 years or so and have ended up having some success: Roethlisberger, Cutler, Campbell. None of them are among that first tier of QB’s but they get the job done more times than not.

Oh and one more similarity: all three were first round picks.

Campbell hardly had success. Sure, he was decent, but I would have expected his play from a second rounder. It took a 36 year old perpetually bench warming fossil of a quarterback to win four straight games to get into the playoffs in a wild card slot while Campbell was a starter. Campbell's lack of success lead to the rise of the Cult of Colt. /rant

Anyway, those are some good points, but as has been pointed out, Tannehill had only one and a half seasons as a quarterback as a starting QB in college. That's not much time to prove yourself. He should have been a second or third rounder. Getting taken 8th overall naturally leads to extremely high expectations. You wouldn't take a player that high if you didn't expect good things from him. If he fails to meet those expectations, he will inevitably be labeled a bust.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:20 pm

Anyway, those are some good points, but as has been pointed out, Tannehill had only one and a half seasons as a quarterback as a starting QB in college. That's not much time to prove yourself. He should have been a second or third rounder. Getting taken 8th overall naturally leads to extremely high expectations. You wouldn't take a player that high if you didn't expect good things from him. If he fails to meet those expectations, he will inevitably be labeled a bust.

Tannehill isn't a first round bust because of the high expectations. It's only that the Dolphins busted their pick.
Really, they should have drafted someone else at the #9 pick. Then in the 2nd round, they could draft Weeden. (Browns would take Tannehill where they took Weeden)
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:57 pm

Well, he was part of the bust because he was supposed to do well. If that were the case, it could be said that JaWalrus Russell wasn't a bust because he was picked #1, and that the Raiders busted their pick.

I don't know if I'd take Weeden in the 2nd, though. The Dolphins aren't really all that great and could probably scrape together a high draft pick to get Matt Barkley or Landry Jones in '13. If they were closer to being a winning team, I guess I'd take him, but I think they need more work before they get there.

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Quarterback Duel

Postby Austinmario13 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:56 pm

I see that ya'll are fighting about Quarterbacks, so I'm changing the subject.
What about Peyton Manning? He's already thrown 3 interceptions (1 against Bears, 2 against the Seahawks) and it's not even the Regular Season yet. I think he's a Free Agent Bust. Russell Wilson is going to be a VERY good backup quarterback for Seattle. I think he's better than Matt Flynn, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a Quarterback Controversy. I think Kirk Cousins is a Draft Bust. His first professianal pass was an interception. What about the quarterback problem in Arizona? I say let history take it's course. Look at all the historical quaterback Controversys:
    Joe Montana, Steve Young
    Doug Flutie, Rob Johnson
    Roger Staubach, Craig Morton
    Norm Van Brocklin, Bob Waterfield
Whats your thoughts at Quarterback?

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Re: Quarterback Duel

Postby NickyJ » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:05 pm

Austinmario wrote:I think Kirk Cousins is a Draft Bust. His first professianal pass was an interception.

I didn't realize a fourth round pick could bust. :lol: And man was Brett Favre a bad bust. Image

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:13 pm

Danchat wrote:

Tannehill isn't a first round bust because of the high expectations. It's only that the Dolphins busted their pick.
Really, they should have drafted someone else at the #9 pick. Then in the 2nd round, they could draft Weeden. (Browns would take Tannehill where they took Weeden)

#8.

You can say all you want about that, but I think this is the first time since 1999 that three QB's have been taken in the Top 10. There's good reason for it. Should he have been taken lower? Possibly but as you said, the Browns might have taken him at 22 or another team might have traded up to taken him. I would think that the Dolphins front office tried to explore a trade down but ultimately decided that either it wasn't worth it or they didn't think they could still get Tannehill lower.

I think that Tannehill had to the be the top player on their draft board because IMO, if you don't have a franchise QB, you need to draft one ASAP. For the last 12 years since Marino left, the Dolphins have gone through 16 different starting QB's. Last season, the Dolphins had to buy their own tickets for at least five out of their eight home games in order to make sure the games would not be blacked out. The season ticket base, according to the link, is still below 50,000.

The front office needed to do something in order to generate some optimism amongst the fan base to galvanise sales and one of the only ways to do that in Miami is draft a QB in the first round. Remember, this is the the first time since 1983 that they've done that and after failing with free agents, trades, and second round picks, the fans are restless. They wanted a first round QB and they want the front office to fully commit to building the team around him.

As for Blowing for Barkley or Laughingstock for Landry (hey remember that from the chat?), this team for the most part has sucked at sucking. They'll come out of the gate crap and then just when you think they've mailed it in, they start winning. In other years, they might start off alright and then fade down the stretch. In iether case, they don't suck enough to get a Top 5 pick but aren't good enough to make the playoffs.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:21 pm

If they were closer to being a winning team, I guess I'd take him [Weeden], but I think they need more work before they get there.

:o ?! The Browns are no closer to a winning team than the Dolphins are.
Weeden would fit in a team that is good overall but lacks a QB. Example: 09 Vikings (Pre-Favre) 12 Chiefs (Cassel is mediocre) 06 Bears
As for Blowing for Barkley or Laughingstock for Landry (hey remember that from the chat?), this team for the most part has sucked at sucking. They'll come out of the gate crap and then just when you think they've mailed it in, they start winning. In other years, they might start off alright and then fade down the stretch. In iether case, they don't suck enough to get a Top 5 pick but aren't good enough to make the playoffs.

Unfortunately for the Dolphins, they're likely to be stuck in the 5-10 draft spot for a while. Tannehill is too new to be replaced, so they won't even draft Barkley or Landry if they were available....(at least I don't think so)
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:30 pm

Danchat wrote:Unfortunately for the Dolphins, they're likely to be stuck in the 5-10 draft spot for a while. Tannehill is too new to be replaced, so they won't even draft Barkley or Landry if they were available....(at least I don't think so)

I was referring to Nicky's suggestion that they should've waited one more year to suck really bad so they could take Barkley or Landry (or Tyler Wilson). The fans would not have stood for another year of a stop gap QB.

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:37 pm

Danchat wrote: :o ?! The Browns are no closer to a winning team than the Dolphins are.

That's why I think NFL teams shouldn't smoke Weeden before a draft.

Danchat wrote:Weeden would fit in a team that is good overall but lacks a QB. Example: 09 Vikings (Pre-Favre) 12 Chiefs (Cassel is mediocre) 06 Bears

Exactly. I think aging rookie quarterbacks should only be drafted in high rounds if the rest of the team is capable of winning. Otherwise, you've just doomed yourself to the worst NFL class level: Mediocrity. At least the pathetic teams get good, young picks.

BelieverInTeal wrote:
Danchat wrote:Unfortunately for the Dolphins, they're likely to be stuck in the 5-10 draft spot for a while. Tannehill is too new to be replaced, so they won't even draft Barkley or Landry if they were available....(at least I don't think so)

I was referring to Nicky's suggestion that they should've waited one more year to suck really bad so they could take Barkley or Landry (or Tyler Wilson). The fans would not have stood for another year of a stop gap QB.

True, though I think Garrard/Moore could have held down the fort fairly well, and considering you'd get a much more respected player, I think it would be worth it.

Sidelion
MVP

Re: Quarterback Duel

Postby Sidelion » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:58 pm

Austinmario wrote:What about Peyton Manning? He's already thrown 3 interceptions (1 against Bears, 2 against the Seahawks) and it's not even the Regular Season yet. I think he's a Free Agent Bust.

Yeah, no. A Manning boy versus Tebow, don't make me lol.

1985 Bears: 1-3 preseason, 15-1 regular season.
2008 Lions: 4-0 preseason, 0-16 regular season. PERFECT SEASON, BABY!!!

As far as Kolb versus Skelton, Kolb is considered an overpriced mistake at this point by Cards' fans, even though he statistically outperformed Skelton in everything but the W-L column, where it matters most. I'd personally give Skelton a shot and see how he does after getting more experience as the designated signal-caller. Kolb came from Bust U (Houston), just another poor sap in the long line of useless system quarterbacks.

On Tebow versus Sanchez... SANCHEZ. That's absolutely no competition.

On Tannehill, the 'Fins really didn't have any other options. I'm skeptical that he alone will be Miami's lifesaver, though.
"Why do you go away? So that you can come back.
So that you can see the place you came from with new eyes and extra colors.
And the people there see you differently, too."

Return to “Miami Dolphins”