RIP John Madden

Danchat
Hall of Fame

RIP John Madden

Postby Danchat » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:04 pm

John Madden, football legend, dies at 85

John Madden, a legendary figure known to one generation as a Hall of Fame coach, another generation as the sport’s greatest announcer, and yet another generation for the video game that bears his name, has died at the age of 85.

The NFL announced Madden’s passing today.

John Madden may have been the single most influential person in the history of the sport of football.

see more here: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/28/john-madden-football-legend-dies-at-85/

I think it would be more than appropriate to have a thread to celebrate Madden's life and legacy, where we can show our appreciation for the man who helped pave the way for some many things football related. Rest in peace, John.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

RIP John Madden

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rixster67r
Hall of Fame

Re: RIP John Madden

Postby Rixster67r » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:20 pm

My condolences to his family...... "We lost a great one today"

Rest in Peace John..... You will be remembered

KO'BBF
MVP

Postby KO'BBF » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:11 pm

my heart is broken

but I'm thankful for what he brought to football .... and Ace Hardware
"There are Coaches who spend eighteen hours a day coaching the perfect game, and they lose because the ball is oval and they can't control the bounce." - Bud Grant

BigDaddyCool
All-Pro

Postby BigDaddyCool » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:27 pm

Rest in peace Coach - and thank you.
BIGDADDYCOOL IS YA HOOKUP...HOLLA IF YA HEAR ME!!!!!!!

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:03 pm

He is one of a kind. I have played most of the Madden games, except 17 and 18. I prefer to load up the games where he's commentating. He was a trailblazer and game changer. My prayers go ouut to his family.

I really enjoyed watching the All Madden X-Mas special. It was amazing. And to see how many people, coaches and players he touched and inspired had me choked up for most of the show.

Rest well coach Madden.

I have to steal this but "THIS ONE"S FOR JOHN".

MaccaWacca
Veteran

Postby MaccaWacca » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:50 pm

Yes Indeed. Rest In Peace John. There will never ever be another person like John Madden. His Iconic voice and love for football will not be forgotten.
Aussie guy who plays Aussie rules down under. Loved NFL and madden for years. You Beauty. :)

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:03 pm

When I was a kid, one of the first football books I ever read was The First Book of Football. Although some of the strategies that he wrote in the book are now outdated, I still credit him with giving me the foundations of what I know about football.

RIP John

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:27 am

NFL commentators are such a wide variety of characters. Some are the uber-professional ones, giving the driest, clearest commentary of what you see on the field. Others are extremely emotional ones, the type that scream like the fans would, making games feel like a 5 ring circus. They all have their different degrees of expertise. They can be wrapped so deeply in the game that you know they're smart, but don't understand half of what they're saying. Or they have no idea what they're doing, but you can feel that they love doing it.

All them have their place in games, but it's only a handful in a generation that can take all those qualities and wrap them up in one commentator who lives and breathes the sport, can tell you exactly what's happening, but still have fun with the game and help a fan enjoy it too. John Madden was one of those people. I wish I could have seen more of him in his prime when he worked his magic, but I feel fortunate to have seen even some of it.

There are people in the NFL who I take great joy in listening to, but there will never be another John Madden. I don't think the NFL would be quite what it is without John Madden there to make fans feel at home while the league changed so much over the years. Not without the friendly personality who greeted us on Sundays and Mondays, and not without his video game series that drew so many people like myself into the fold and let us feel just a little of the excitement the game of football can give.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:49 pm

Hopefully with his passing, EA loses the rights to his name.

A true giant like him shouldn't be posthumously affiliated with that trash.

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:03 pm

AaronS wrote:Hopefully with his passing, EA loses the rights to his name.

A true giant like him shouldn't be posthumously affiliated with that trash.

I 2nd this. I hope John Madden's death shakes things up at EA. I want the game to be better...

Return to “NFL Football”