Elliot Holdout

Satanhhh
Rookie

Elliot Holdout

Postby Satanhhh » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:09 am

Any thoughts on this? It almost felt like Zeke was looking for a way out of Dallas (Perhaps this has to do with Linehan and play calling). Now that Linehan is gone, I'm thinking that a deal could get done soon. I really don't see them having much of a season if they don't have a pretty decent (if not great) running back.

Elliot Holdout

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Elliot Holdout

Postby RevanFan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:24 am

Satanhhh wrote:Any thoughts on this? It almost felt like Zeke was looking for a way out of Dallas (Perhaps this has to do with Linehan and play calling). Now that Linehan is gone, I'm thinking that a deal could get done soon. I really don't see them having much of a season if they don't have a pretty decent (if not great) running back.

I don't think Zeke ever wanted out. I just think he wants to make as much money as he can while he can, knowing running backs aren't valued anymore.

As for how they'll play without him... I hope we don't have to find out, but I think they'll manage. They won't be as good, obviously, but they'll still be decent. This team is the most stacked it's been since probably 2014 or even 2007. The bigger deal is Tyron Smith and Zack Martin. If they aren't healthy, the offense falls apart. Martin says he's good, but I'm always worried about Smith. Been having a lot of back issues in recent years.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:36 am

RevanFan wrote:
Satanhhh wrote:Any thoughts on this? It almost felt like Zeke was looking for a way out of Dallas (Perhaps this has to do with Linehan and play calling). Now that Linehan is gone, I'm thinking that a deal could get done soon. I really don't see them having much of a season if they don't have a pretty decent (if not great) running back.

I don't think Zeke ever wanted out. I just think he wants to make as much money as he can while he can, knowing running backs aren't valued anymore.

As for how they'll play without him... I hope we don't have to find out, but I think they'll manage. They won't be as good, obviously, but they'll still be decent. This team is the most stacked it's been since probably 2014 or even 2007. The bigger deal is Tyron Smith and Zack Martin. If they aren't healthy, the offense falls apart. Martin says he's good, but I'm always worried about Smith. Been having a lot of back issues in recent years.

While Zek is out, the defense has to be stellar to win games. Without Zek the offense will suffer greatly. Cooper's gimpy heal will be a problem all seasson. I want to see if Dak can take the next step of maturity in leading the team. He's going to have much more pressure on his plate!

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:37 pm

RevanFan wrote:

I think that offense will be all right. That O-Line is still solid and the passing game probably will be solid enough. Honestly, the biggest issue will be "Who plays receiving back", which Zeke does well. Then he'll come back (He can't pull a Le'Veon here) and that offense will take a step up.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:41 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
RevanFan wrote:

I think that offense will be all right. That O-Line is still solid and the passing game probably will be solid enough. Honestly, the biggest issue will be "Who plays receiving back", which Zeke does well. Then he'll come back (He can't pull a Le'Veon here) and that offense will take a step up.

"Who plays receiving back" is easy. Pollard. One of the main reasons they drafted him.
My Cowboys Journal

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:31 pm

*Stares at the numbers of Elliot's extension*
Uhhh ... so with that contract, can they keep Dak, Cooper and everyone else that's important or will they have to result to a bunch of players on rookie deals?
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:11 pm

jose21crisis wrote:*Stares at the numbers of Elliot's extension*
Uhhh ... so with that contract, can they keep Dak, Cooper and everyone else that's important or will they have to result to a bunch of players on rookie deals?

They actually can. Dallas is SWIMMING in cap money this season, due to all the veteran contracts dumped over the last few years and the good drafting. They actually saved money this year on both the Zeke and Collins deals, so I fully expect them to have enough for Byron Jones, Dak Prescott, and Amari Cooper.
My Cowboys Journal

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:29 am

Seeing as Dak and the Cowboys aren't getting close to an extension yet, I wonder ... wouldn't have been preferable to pay Dak first, rather than Zeke? The prices of both would have gone up, sure, and Zeke was holding out (which would have been dumb if he didn't got extended, just ask Melvin Gordon), but Dak's price is going to be high, Goff's extension made it higher and if anyone else gets signed to a massive deal (you know, Mahomes?), this could backfire.
Semper fi

Return to “Dallas Cowboys”