Adrian Peterson - Giants?

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:37 am

Recently, Adrian Peterson tweeted this:

The Giants have been making some interesting moves.

- Adrian Peterson (@AdrianPeterson) February 15, 2017

He has also said on ESPN that he has "thought about" playing for the Giants in the 2017 season.

So what do you guys think?

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: Adrian Peterson - Giants?

Postby RevanFan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:59 am

I think, if he's anywhere, it's Minnesota, New York, or Dallas. Dallas is always interested (Jerry loves Peterson), and he seems interested in both Dallas and New York. I'm very unsure Minnesota will even want him back, which is a shame.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:06 pm

RevanFan wrote:I think, if he's anywhere, it's Minnesota, New York, or Dallas. Dallas is always interested (Jerry loves Peterson), and he seems interested in both Dallas and New York. I'm very unsure Minnesota will even want him back, which is a shame.

As a Vikings fan, I'm done with Peterson. He's been great and all, but it's time they move on. We need that $18M from his cap hit. He's missed 28 games in the last 3 seasons. When he was healthy in 2016, he wasn't very good. He can't catch footballs and he can't block pass rushers. The Vikings have become a passing team that will no longer rely on running the ball on every single first down. It's time to find a younger back who can pick up the load. It's not hard to find starting HBs in the 4th, 5th, or even the 6th round. I'm also sick of AP's ego. I liked him while he was in his prime, but I'm done with him now.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:07 pm

Danchat wrote:
RevanFan wrote:I think, if he's anywhere, it's Minnesota, New York, or Dallas. Dallas is always interested (Jerry loves Peterson), and he seems interested in both Dallas and New York. I'm very unsure Minnesota will even want him back, which is a shame.

As a Vikings fan, I'm done with Peterson. He's been great and all, but it's time they move on. We need that $18M from his cap hit. He's missed 28 games in the last 3 seasons. When he was healthy in 2016, he wasn't very good. He can't catch footballs and he can't block pass rushers. The Vikings have become a passing team that will no longer rely on running the ball on every single first down. It's time to find a younger back who can pick up the load. It's not hard to find starting HBs in the 4th, 5th, or even the 6th round. I'm also sick of AP's ego. I liked him while he was in his prime, but I'm done with him now.

What was that other running back you guys were starting this year while Peterson was injured.

I don't remember his name... but I remember he looked good.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:04 pm

JSamuel wrote:
Danchat wrote:

What was that other running back you guys were starting this year while Peterson was injured.

Jerick McKinnon? Not really. The Vikings had one of the worst--the worst if I recall correctly--rushing game in the entire league.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:09 am

RevanFan wrote:
JSamuel wrote:
Danchat wrote:As a Vikings fan, I'm done with Peterson. He's been great and all, but it's time they move on. We need that $18M from his cap hit. He's missed 28 games in the last 3 seasons. When he was healthy in 2016, he wasn't very good. He can't catch footballs and he can't block pass rushers. The Vikings have become a passing team that will no longer rely on running the ball on every single first down. It's time to find a younger back who can pick up the load. It's not hard to find starting HBs in the 4th, 5th, or even the 6th round. I'm also sick of AP's ego. I liked him while he was in his prime, but I'm done with him now.

What was that other running back you guys were starting this year while Peterson was injured?

Jerick McKinnon? Not really. The Vikings had one of the worst--the worst if I recall correctly--rushing game in the entire league.

I just looked... the Vikings ranked 32nd in rushing yards. So I guess that guy isn't very good. :mrgreen:

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:43 pm

JSamuel wrote:
RevanFan wrote:
JSamuel wrote:What was that other running back you guys were starting this year while Peterson was injured?

I just looked... the Vikings ranked 32nd in rushing yards. So I guess that guy isn't very good. :mrgreen:

Yes, the Vikings' rushing attack was abysmal. However, was that the running backs' fault?

Vikings HBs Yards Per Carry
2016 wth terrible O-line:
Peterson 37 - 72 1.9 YPC Pre-2016 YPC:v5.0
McKinnon 159 - 539 3.4 YPC Pre-2016 YPC: 4.9
Asiata 121 - 402 3.3 YPC Pre-2016 YPC: 3.6

And to prove how bad the Vikings' O-line really was, here's the Pro Football Focus run blocking grade for every linemen:
(A 70 is an average score.)

Code: Select all

(Name)               (Pos)    (# of snaps)  (PFF run blocking grade)
Jeremiah Sirles      LG/RT      772                75.4
T. J. Clemmings     RT/LT      882                 40.8
Jake Long              LT           209                 51.2
Matt Kalil               LT           121                 64.3
Andre Smith           RT           182                 38.7
Joe Berger           C/RG         852                 80.7
Alex Boone            LG           873                 68.9
Nick Easton            C            414                 49.5
Brandon Fusco      RG            834                 56.6

All in all, the Vikings had one of the worst run-blocking O-lines of all time. I would keep McKinnon around as he was much better running the ball in '14 and '15 and he was a good receiver and pass protector even in 2016. But he should be the #2 HB.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:27 pm

As a Giants fan, I would welcome it. AP wont have another 2000yrd rushing season or maybe even eclipse 1200 yrds/season b/c of his injuries and age. However, if he could be like Brandon Jacobs (bruiser type RB) and churn out at least 700-800 yrds per season and effective enough to pick up first downs/balance the offense. Then I think at the right price (no inflated contract but restructured one) he would be a good addition to an already good offense that needs more weapons in the backfield. I've been a huge fan of AP on the field....not so much his off field behavior though (several kids with different women, diva attitude etc).....but he is a good player for sure. But can't expect 18 mil or what for a 30 yo RB.
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:31 am

I like the Packers theory that is floating around.

They're not bringing Lacy back, AP is not gonna be ultra expensive, and the Super Bowl is in Minnesota. What better opportunity for the Packers to get revenge on the Vikes for Favre going there, and for AP to get revenge on his former team?

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:09 am

AaronS wrote:I like the Packers theory that is floating around.

They're not bringing Lacy back, AP is not gonna be ultra expensive, and the Super Bowl is in Minnesota. What better opportunity for the Packers to get revenge on the Vikes for Favre going there, and for AP to get revenge on his former team?

I've been hearing that Lacy is likely to return to Green Bay on a 1 year deal, actually.

But seeing Peterson as a Packer would be pretty crazy... but I think Green Bay would rather sign a running back who can pass block and catch passes, similarly to Chris Thompson or Theo Riddick. AP's fumbling and poor 3rd down skills might scare away a team like GB who normally throws the ball a lot.

Return to “New York Giants”