NY or NJ

TheGlitch
Pro Bowl

Re: NY or NJ

Postby TheGlitch » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:35 am

I always considered the Giants to be the NYC team, and the Jets to be the NY/NJ Jets, even though the Giants moved out of NYC first. I'm not a native New Yorker, so my opinion doesn't hold much water, but there it is. (shakes old man fist at youngsters :) )

Besides; this doesn't look so bad, does it?
new-jersey-jets.jpg
new-jersey-jets.jpg (13.32 KiB) Viewed 2555 times

The Cowboys have made an obscene amount of money off of that "America's Team"-thing over the years, so I can't knock them. The NFL fan in me would argue that they could lay claim to the title of "Most Bandwagoned Team", along with the Patriots and Seahawks, but that is another discussion entirely.

Sponsor

Sponsor

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:41 am

"America's Team" does not exist. There is no one team the the majority of American's support more than any other. The two closest ones I could be convinced of would be Washington (People from all over the country, politicians, etc. come to see games that involve the Redskins playing in Washington) or Green Bay (It's actually owned by over 300,000 people, so it could be argued that more of America owns that team than any other, making it America's team). Both excuses are sort of lame, but Green Bay is the closest to being legit. Either way, I've always found the idea to be quite pointless and stupid. It's an empty title. Give me a choice between America's Team and Defending Super Bowl Champion, and I'd take the latter in a heartbeat.

TheGlitch
Pro Bowl

Postby TheGlitch » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:44 pm

NickyJ wrote:People from all over the country, politicians, etc. come to see games that involve the Redskins playing in Washington

True. To add to that, a lot of people in the Carolinas still root for the 'Skins or the Falcons simply because of geographics (meaning, the Panthers weren't formed yet, so they went with the closest team on the map).

NickyJ wrote:Green Bay (It's actually owned by over 300,000 people, so it could be argued that more of America owns that team than any other, making it America's team)

A great point. I've always admired how that organization was run.

NickyJ wrote:It's an empty title.

True. But at the end of the day, the NFL is a business, and that title, empty as it is, has filled up a lot of wallets. Bandwagons help pay the bills (see any dominant team from any pro sports league).

NickyJ wrote:Give me a choice between America's Team and Defending Super Bowl Champion, and I'd take the latter in a heartbeat.

I don't know how it feels to own either of those titles in our pro sports history. :oops:

Randall12
MVP

Postby Randall12 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:49 pm

TheGlitch wrote:
NickyJ wrote:People from all over the country, politicians, etc. come to see games that involve the Redskins playing in Washington

True. To add to that, a lot of people in the Carolinas still root for the 'Skins or the Falcons simply because of geographics (meaning, the Panthers weren't formed yet, so they went with the closest team on the map).

NickyJ wrote:Green Bay (It's actually owned by over 300,000 people, so it could be argued that more of America owns that team than any other, making it America's team)

A great point. I've always admired how that organization was run.

NickyJ wrote:It's an empty title.

True. But at the end of the day, the NFL is a business, and that title, empty as it is, has filled up a lot of wallets. Bandwagons help pay the bills (see any dominant team from any pro sports league).

NickyJ wrote:Give me a choice between America's Team and Defending Super Bowl Champion, and I'd take the latter in a heartbeat.

I don't know how it feels to own either of those titles in our pro sports history. :oops:

Yup which is why it was such a waste for a NEW JERSEY DEVILS Hockey Team, Everyone was already NEW YORK OR PHILADELPHIA, Their arena is basically empty until PLAYOFFS :mrgreen: I know different sport but this is just proving your CAROLINA THEORY .

Monda
Rookie

Postby Monda » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:10 pm

Coming from a NJ native, I'd like to see some sort of New Jersey recognition. I believe at one point they were the New York/New Jersey Giants, so somtething similar to that would be nice.

Return to “New York Giants”