This draft has been weird.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:07 am

So, the Steelers got a multi purpose safety/dime LB in Terrell Edmunds (Sadly, they failed to trade up to get Rashaan Evans, but that eventually helped later on. Edmunds was more of a late 2nd, early 3rd pick. Gotta wonder what Colbert and Tomlin saw on him to take him over Justin Reid or Jessie Bates), a do-everything nigh unstoppable receiver in James Washington (A need after Martavis went to the Raiders, which ... well ... it is what it is. We are facing him next season as well. But this dude, Washington, is bananas. And after the JuJu pick last year and the Steelers' track record with draftin receivers, I won't doubt this pick), Big Ben's understudy (And hopefully successor) in Mason Rudolph (So Rudolph to Washington will be a thing in the pros too, and that was OP) and a swing O-Lineman after Chris Hubbard left Chukwuma Okorafor (Is Mike Munchak coaching the big uglies so, I'm happy with it) ... no Linebackers so far.

I wonder what is Kevin Colbert's plan at this point. Drafting a linebacker next or waiting for Free Agency to get a 30+ year old veteran. The sad thing is that, other than the top 4 which left the board in a hurry, there are not many great LBs. Right now it looks like they are drafting for the future, yet they are in a win now mode. It's kind of weird.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Re: This draft has been weird.

Postby Danchat » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:59 am

So what's the plan for Josh Dobbs? They spent a 4th rounder on him and now Rudolph was taken, so it doesn't seem like he's the future. I'm guessing Landry Jones' job is in trouble now?
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

achernar
Hall of Fame

Postby achernar » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:22 am

Danchat wrote:So what's the plan for Josh Dobbs? They spent a 4th rounder on him and now Rudolph was taken, so it doesn't seem like he's the future. I'm guessing Landry Jones' job is in trouble now?

I think Mason Rudolph could develop in a great player... never likes what Dobbs brings to the table... so I think they will move on

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:05 am

Danchat wrote:So what's the plan for Josh Dobbs? They spent a 4th rounder on him and now Rudolph was taken, so it doesn't seem like he's the future. I'm guessing Landry Jones' job is in trouble now?

Could very well mean that. Jones is a solid backup QB, but I think the Steelers were expecting more out of him. Dobbs is ... decent, not good or great, just decent. But it's been about 5 years of Jones, and he has not been the best. I'm pretty sure he threw him phone when he saw them pick Rudolph. I hope Rudolph to Washington is the same cheat code it was in Oklahoma State when both (If Rudolph becomes the starter) are the starters.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:44 pm

So, I think it is becoming clear that either Terrell Edmunds, Marcus Allen, or Morgan Burnett will have to move to linebacker. I still can't complain a lot about the picks. Marcus Allen should have been drafted higher, but he lacks speed to cover slot receivers, and Jaylen Samuels is a HB/FB/TE hybrid, so he can create mismatches. But still no linebacker.
Semper fi

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:12 pm

And I'll just eat up my last post, as they signed Matthew Thomas as a UDFA. Sure, he might not make the team. But Pittsburgh was interested in him, and if he does make the team, he could help with the hole at LB.
Semper fi

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:44 pm

well, well, well...with the draft over, everyone is saying why didn't we replace Shazier. After hearing the press conference with Tomlin and Colbert, I understand why. Matakevich was and sounds like the LB that is front runner to take over#1 backup spot. Bostic will replace Shazier( Mac) and Williams will go back to his MIke position.
Here Matthew Thomas Combine on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_4JiD5-yXU...Looks good, agile, good hands, average hips and most thing I liked was his FSU Highlights on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpk7Q5-YsPc
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:30 pm

BUS36 wrote:well, well, well...with the draft over, everyone is saying why didn't we replace Shazier. After hearing the press conference with Tomlin and Colbert, I understand why. Matakevich was and sounds like the LB that is front runner to take over#1 backup spot. Bostic will replace Shazier( Mac) and Williams will go back to his MIke position.
Here Matthew Thomas Combine on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_4JiD5-yXU...Looks good, agile, good hands, average hips and most thing I liked was his FSU Highlights on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpk7Q5-YsPc

There's been talk (Or at least, what I read on Behind the Steel Curtain) that they might decide to use a Nickel package as their base defense. I've seen suggested the Nickel 3-3 Stack, which is 3 down lineman, 3 linebackers and 3 safeties, with Sean Davis and Morgan Burnett serving "traditional" safety roles, and Terrell Edmunds playing Safety/ILB hybrid. I have never seen it in action though. They could also do that thing New England has been doing, a 3-3-5 Big Nickel, which is basically a 3-4, with a Strong Safety playing linebacker (Could be Edmunds, or could be Allen). Also, J.J. Wilcox was released, so the Safety position is occupied by Burnett, Davis, Edmunds, Allen, Berhe and Dangerfield. And I think it looks good.
Semper fi

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:41 pm

I know a guy who is in the offices....(marketing)...Edmunds or M.Allen could be that hybrid LB...but I also heard that they know that Matakevich would have been inserted into the starting lineup when Shazier got hurt. Then he got hurt in the same game with a shoulder. They like his ability to tackle in open field and his motor is always running.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

Return to “Pittsburgh Steelers”