How To Create The "Game Speed" Option In M08:

Sliders, settings and other adjustments to make the game more realistic.
TheRareButter
MVP

Postby TheRareButter » Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:39 pm

It's acceleration, plain and simple. Edit the ceiling of ACC with NZA's global attribute editor. I know it seems crazy to edit it to such a low level, but trust me on this one. Make a copy of a throwaway roster and test this theory in game with it.

Base Game: Supersonic-ly Fast
85 CAP: Very Fast
75 CAP: Fast
70 CAP: Normal
65 CAP: Slow
60 CAP: Very Slow

I've noticed that the offensive line plays much better with less ACC and picks up assignments better (the players have more time for the game to trigger an animation), QB's make better reads due to more time with the ball, and plays catch the ball in bounds more often when running directly toward the sideline. I swear by this and I'll never play the game without it again, you'd think setting it as low as 70 would break the game but it doesn't. Don't get me wrong you might need to adjust your sliders some (defensive awareness most likely) but ultimately it's like an added physics boost where the players aren't super human that cut at full speed then reach full speed immediately after their cut. I hover around the 80-85 range. You'll need edit your save files progression weeks and after each season for incoming rookies/player progression.

I think the ceiling that EA set for each game during the PS2 era was edited to give new titles a new feel, meaning 99 ACC in 06 is slower than 99 ACC in 08 though I could be wrong. The running game plays much closer to Madden 06 (maybe 07 too, never played it) with this adjustment.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Harry97
All-Pro

Re: How To Create The "Game Speed" Option In M08:

Postby Harry97 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:16 am

You're absolutely right about that. I've rescaled NCAA 06 rosters in Excel to have low accelerations across the board. The O-line play is much better with low accelerations as they have more time to reacting to the D-lineman and can actually hold blocks. I think it's more about the D-lineman and LBs accelerations being lower because it affects their turning speed. Another thing I lower is Awareness, which also plays into this. The combination of lower awareness and lower acceleration goes a long way into making the game play more realistically.

The Speed rating seems to only affect the top speed that a player has when a player is running at full stride. Lowering awareness across the board seems to have an effect on how defenders react when you press the sprint button while running. With higher awareness they will close down unrealistically fast when you try to sprint with the running back. If you lower awareness they will still react to the sprint button but not as much.

TheRareButter
MVP

Postby TheRareButter » Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:24 pm

I'm hesitant to edit mass edit other attributes but I agree on your basic idea, just as a slider adjustment. This is an exciting find, once there's a fully configured slider set for them it'll be just like playing Madden 23 but in Madden 08. All the good stuff none of the bad from the new titles.

Defensive awareness will need a buff that's for sure, QB accuracy too since the NFL has gunslingers launching 80 yard bombs now days. I set the QB Accuracy at 70 on All Pro, Josh Allen hit 75 yards in the air. Anymore than that they'd probably be robo QBs. Pass Blocking buff, etc.

TheRareButter
MVP

Postby TheRareButter » Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:43 pm

Here's a quick comparison video on Madden 06 vs Madden 08's RogerJinx rosters with universal 45 acceleration. Watch the speed of the HB specifically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpDvMbJSfJw

Another thing that could be done with the same premise that wouldn't require any edits at all to the roster would be to find a way to separate settings within each difficulty level. All Madden AI with an adjustment that enforces the gameplay speed of rookie/pro. That would be a much better way of doing this but idk if it's possible.

Pregadordouard
Pro Bowl

Postby Pregadordouard » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:54 am

TheRareButter wrote:Here's a quick comparison video on Madden 06 vs Madden 08's RogerJinx rosters with universal 45 acceleration. Watch the speed of the HB specifically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpDvMbJSfJw

Another thing that could be done with the same premise that wouldn't require any edits at all to the roster would be to find a way to separate settings within each difficulty level. All Madden AI with an adjustment that enforces the gameplay speed of rookie/pro. That would be a much better way of doing this but idk if it's possible.

it really looks like Madden 04 , you can return punts , a little better , DB does not jump absurdly in passes , like in madden 07 , so much so that the jukes moves become a little more effective

solarkev
Pro Bowl

Postby solarkev » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:41 pm

I modify rosters every year using the information from RedWolf's research from 2009-10. I attached the file with the modification formulas. Note the lower acceleration. He came up with these settings by comparing the players performance on the Madden playing field with NFL combine data. IMHO, this was a brilliant approach. His acceleration and speed settings are designed to be real life in Madden 08. He also adjusted injury and kicker performance among a few other things. Keep in mind that this was before Calhoupe's scripts that mitigated the shanked punts. He created a slider set for watched cpu-cpu games that closely matched NFL statistics. His method was to get a bunch of guys watching games and uploading statistics (to get good statistical sample sizes) and then he would suggest new sliders and sometimes ratings adjustments.

I used to upload adjusted rosters, but haven't done so for a few years. However, attached to this is my latest edit of RogerJinx's great roster for 2022.

The settings and sliders are only useful for coach players, because the game is too sluggish for stick players.

For my part, I've noticed several positive things with these ratings, like more animations, better lineman play, screen passes work much better, and other things (similar to the observations made by TheRareButter). RedWolf's method of also adjusting the distribution of the ratings as well as the average helps greatly in creating a realistic look and feel.

I'd be happy to discuss this topic further. It has been sometime since anyone seemed interested.
Attachments
2022JINXROSTER V1 SA2.ros
(2.04 MiB) Downloaded 82 times
Reddoby Final Settings.pdf
(152.09 KiB) Downloaded 125 times

rogerjinx
Hall of Fame

Postby rogerjinx » Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:56 am

solarkev wrote:I modify rosters every year using the information from RedWolf's research from 2009-10. I attached the file with the modification formulas. Note the lower acceleration. He came up with these settings by comparing the players performance on the Madden playing field with NFL combine data. IMHO, this was a brilliant approach. His acceleration and speed settings are designed to be real life in Madden 08. He also adjusted injury and kicker performance among a few other things. Keep in mind that this was before Calhoupe's scripts that mitigated the shanked punts. He created a slider set for watched cpu-cpu games that closely matched NFL statistics. His method was to get a bunch of guys watching games and uploading statistics (to get good statistical sample sizes) and then he would suggest new sliders and sometimes ratings adjustments.

I used to upload adjusted rosters, but haven't done so for a few years. However, attached to this is my latest edit of RogerJinx's great roster for 2022.

The settings and sliders are only useful for coach players, because the game is too sluggish for stick players.

For my part, I've noticed several positive things with these ratings, like more animations, better lineman play, screen passes work much better, and other things (similar to the observations made by TheRareButter). RedWolf's method of also adjusting the distribution of the ratings as well as the average helps greatly in creating a realistic look and feel.

I'd be happy to discuss this topic further. It has been sometime since anyone seemed interested.

This is a blast from the past! I totally forgot about this. I'll incorporate this on the next roster release. :)

Return to “Sliders and adjustments”