What does Aggressive and Conservative do in Coach Options?

Sliders, settings and other adjustments to make the game more realistic.
thegoldendragonx
All-Pro

Postby thegoldendragonx » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:38 pm

What does Offense Conservative and Aggressive do?
What does Defense Conservative and Aggressive do?
TheGoldenDragonX's 2021 Draft Class --> https://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=22220

TheGoldenDragonX's 2023 Draft Class --> https://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=23634

Sponsor

Sponsor

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Re: What does Aggressive and Conservative do in Coach Options?

Postby jose21crisis » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:52 pm

When it comes to defense, coaches that lean towards "Aggressive" are more likely to use base packages (3-4, 4-3 and 46), man coverage and blitzes. "Conservative" leaning coaches are more likely to use subpackages, zone coverages and more players dropping back.

On offense it is tougher. Coaches that lean towards "Aggressive" are more willing to improvise (Ignoring their Pass/Run Ratio), use shorter passes and more willing to take risks (Like long, LONG FGs if the setting is too high)

At least, that's what I've noticed.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:02 pm

jose21crisis wrote:When it comes to defense, coaches that lean towards "Aggressive" are more likely to use base packages (3-4, 4-3 and 46), man coverage and blitzes. "Conservative" leaning coaches are more likely to use subpackages, zone coverages and more players dropping back.

On offense it is tougher. Coaches that lean towards "Aggressive" are more willing to improvise (Ignoring their Pass/Run Ratio), use shorter passes and more willing to take risks (Like long, LONG FGs if the setting is too high)

At least, that's what I've noticed.

I agree with most of what 21 mentioned.

On defense, the aggressive coaches are coming after you! But if you beat them a few times they will play more Zone-Blitz schemes and "Show Blitz but drop off in coverage" to throw you off, until they slow you down to get back into their base man coverage! Aggressive coaches will match up (3-WR they will play some form of Nickel & blitz, 4WR match up with Dime coverage + blitz, 5 WR match up with QTR coverage + blitz. And rarely drop off into zone coverage, especially 3 & long!

Also, as you mentioned, on defense conservative coaches will play more zone coverage (Tampa 2), blitz less, less man coverage and take less chances not allowing the big plays behind the defense! Conservative coaches expect their players to make the tackle but stop the offense short of the first down!

Aggressive offensive coordinators will take more shots down field, call more plays from the play book, use trick plays, outside and Counter Run plays more, audible more and for example if the defense plays more man, they will call more crossing route plays. If the defense uses more zone coverage, they call more vertical route type plays. They also will uses their best players/weapons more! That's why Roles are so important in Madden 08!

Conservative coaches run in between the tackles more, use draws & screens on 3rd down! And will take what the defense gives them, meaning less shots down field. In hopes their players will make a play to move the chains! They also play a more field positional type games. If they are pinned near their own goalline, don't expect them to pass. They will run more until field position is right! They don't want to give up that pick 6!

The on-field player chatter exposes both offensive and defensive play schemes! Which both team's use to counter punch what the other is doing! Listen carefully!

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:55 pm

Further info: For aggressive offensive coaches. Use less clock between plays and run no huddle more, more audibles call at line of scrimmage!

3rd & short (2 yrds or less), will run dives, inside zones or blast runs, no counters, traps or stretch/outside runs that take longer to develop. Occasional play-action depending on field position!

3rd & medium (4 yards or less), will run draws, delays or screens! Will run Quick passes with 3 step drops (if not already in shotgun formation) to move the chains!

3rd & long (6 yds & above), depending on defensive coverage scheme. Very few screen passes, less draws & delays. More Shotgun, spread the field 4-5 WR's + use 7 step drops.

Will go deep into the playbook to find the perfect play given the situation! Rarely runs the same play back to back!

solarkev
Pro Bowl

Postby solarkev » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:56 am

Is it fair to say that on both offense and defense higher aggression is more realistic, compared to actual NFL play calling? Is that what you guys think?

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:40 am

solarkev wrote:Is it fair to say that on both offense and defense higher aggression is more realistic, compared to actual NFL play calling? Is that what you guys think?

Not at all. After watching every NFL game from week 1, it's clear that there some coaches that are offensively aggressive, (going for it on 4th down, instead of settling for a FG), taking shots down field to expose weak DB's and schemes! While there are many coaches who's nature is simply conservative, continuing to run screen passes and draws playing a field position game, taking very few risks! And the defensively aggressive team's who brought blitz schemes confusing the hell out of offenses (Steelers vs Giants) are going to remain aggressive for the entire year imo! Even though it's early in the season, I think all of the coaches have played their hands! Every team has shown their offensive and defensive identities! They are all playing to the strengths of their personnel! You gotta tweat your sliders to what suits you!

The game plans aggressive/conservative will change weekly depending on opponents!

thegoldendragonx
All-Pro

Postby thegoldendragonx » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:02 am

MikeWest502 wrote:
solarkev wrote:Is it fair to say that on both offense and defense higher aggression is more realistic, compared to actual NFL play calling? Is that what you guys think?

Not at all. After watching every NFL game from week 1, it's clear that there some coaches that are offensively aggressive, (going for it on 4th down, instead of settling for a FG), taking shots down field to expose weak DB's and schemes! While there are many coaches who's nature is simply conservative, continuing to run screen passes and draws playing a field position game, taking very few risks! And the defensively aggressive team's who brought blitz schemes confusing the hell out of offenses (Steelers vs Giants) are going to remain aggressive for the entire year imo! Even though it's early in the season, I think all of the coaches have played their hands! Every team has shown their offensive and defensive identities! They are all playing to the strengths of their personnel! You gotta tweat your sliders to what suits you!

The game plans aggressive/conservative will change weekly depending on opponents!

So if I put the slider to conservative on Offense and simulate the game, will there be more rushing yards for the running back in the stat sheet? I mean simulate the game instead of playing it out.

And if I go 100% aggressive, will the linebackers get more sacks? My Bucs run a 3-4 and I want to make sure that our OLBs get 10+ sacks without playing out the game.
TheGoldenDragonX's 2021 Draft Class --> https://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=22220

TheGoldenDragonX's 2023 Draft Class --> https://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=23634

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:43 pm

thegoldendragonx wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:

So if I put the slider to conservative on Offense and simulate the game, will there be more rushing yards for the running back in the stat sheet? I mean simulate the game instead of playing it out.

And if I go 100% aggressive, will the linebackers get more sacks? My Bucs run a 3-4 and I want to make sure that our OLBs get 10+ sacks without playing out the game.

I can't answer either of those questions. I have never in all of Madden PC 08's existence simmed a game! My sliders are geared to cpu v. cpu or human v. cpu! I'm sure other members can answer the question or just give your inquiries a shot and test them for the results! Share your findings with the community!

thegoldendragonx
All-Pro

Postby thegoldendragonx » Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:06 pm

MikeWest502 wrote:
thegoldendragonx wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:

I can't answer either of those questions. I have never in all of Madden PC 08's existence simmed a game! My sliders are geared to cpu v. cpu or human v. cpu! I'm sure other members can answer the question or just give your inquiries a shot and test them for the results! Share your findings with the community!

Are you saying you've never simmed a game?

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:07 am

thegoldendragonx wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:
thegoldendragonx wrote:

Are you saying you've never simmed a game?

Yes, never on Madden 08 PC, I control all 32 teams, go through weekly game plan, set depth charts and watch cpu v cpu! I normally play 3-4 games weekly in my franchises! No sim! Not a game, a week, or a frinkn season! There's no fun in sim imo!

When Madden 08 PC came out, too many gamers complained about the sim stats being way over the top. I never played a full game on All-Madden, and NEVER simmed a franchise game. I've simmed on Madden PS2 recently because I wanted to get to the off-season, import NCAA 08 draft classes (which I never did in the past), draft my favorite players & relocate teams! After that first season was over I went back to my cpu v cpu and set the cpu v. cpu games to 3 minutes to minimize the exaggerated stats, but never simmed one game on PC 08 and won't sim another on PS2! Imo, sim games suck and only give you stats! I have no use for sim!

Return to “Sliders and adjustments”