Drops - how many is too many?

Sliders, settings and other adjustments to make the game more realistic.
joegreenlight10
Rookie

Postby joegreenlight10 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:37 pm

Behold, the dropped passes percentages for the 2018 season. The Jags had 536 passing attempts, so 5.2% of them would be 27 and change. Bottom line, no team is dropping more than 2 a game on average. The Rams had 568 attempts, so just over a dozen drops all year.

https://twitter.com/NFLMatchup/status/1 ... 5486518272

Sponsor

Sponsor

US2NZ
Rookie

Re: Drops - how many is too many?

Postby US2NZ » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:10 pm

When I put catcher sliding under 50, I'll get that in one game!

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sun May 26, 2019 12:40 am

This is a fairly old post, but I got some info that's relevant to it.

Playing around with some slider sets, I was running into the same issue. One of my receivers, despite having one of the highest Catching ratings in the league, would be leading the NFL in drops. I decided to tweak some sliders to see if I could fix it, and I managed to get some interesting findings:

• QB Accuracy affects the drop ratio. Why is this, I really can't tell. I brainstormed 2 explanations: a) QB Accuracy controls Offensive Awareness, and on receivers, Awareness could control drops (Awareness is a clutch factor of sorts). b) Lower QB Accuracy means more wobbly balls that are hard to catch. Whatever the reason, putting QB Accuracy around 30 to 45 increases receiver drops.
  • WR Catching naturally affects drops. That's obvious. What's not so obvious is the side effects increasing it brings. I tested the game at 70 WR Catching, and I found out that: a) WR Catching affects every player with a pair of hands. In other words, defenders are more likely to get an interception by increasing WR Catching, regardless of the Interception slider. b) The increase in interceptions is offset by a serious decrease in the DB's ability to contest passes. For some weird reason, increasing WR Catching makes defenders be less aggressive when going for the ball if there's a receiver around. And if the receiver can catch the ball, they'll let him catch the ball ... at times even if they could try to get the INT or at least deflect the pass. There are times where the defender will stop on the route, then proceed AFTER the receiver caught the ball, or outright look confused with the ball in the air. c) This slider also affects the ball trajectory. So, with a higher WRC, there are time when a pass could be tipped by a defender or multiple defenders, who will miss the ball. Said ball will end in the receivers hands. This results in 2 things: First, Nigh indefensible passes, and contested catches being tipped in favor of the receiver.
  • There are two sliders that I'm suspecting of aggravating the drops issue. Tackling and Facemask Penalty, mostly for catches in traffic, which is where most of the drops happen. Tackling naturally affects the tackling success rate, but I suspect it also alters how "powerful" hits are, and I'd say that "powerful" hits are more likely to force a drop. As for Facemask, I'm still figuring out exactly WHAT it does, aside from increasing the likehood of facemasks being called. I'm still not 100% sure if increasing it means more powerful hits OR more wrap-up tackles, but I THINK it could be the former. There are also a fair amount of broken tackles at 95 (The setting I'm running right now). I should test it 50 or 40 to see if it affects tackling animations, as well as the drops.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

TeeNice
All-Pro

Postby TeeNice » Tue May 28, 2019 11:17 pm

jose21crisis wrote:This is a fairly old post, but I got some info that's relevant to it.

Playing around with some slider sets, I was running into the same issue. One of my receivers, despite having one of the highest Catching ratings in the league, would be leading the NFL in drops. I decided to tweak some sliders to see if I could fix it, and I managed to get some interesting findings:

• QB Accuracy affects the drop ratio. Why is this, I really can't tell. I brainstormed 2 explanations: a) QB Accuracy controls Offensive Awareness, and on receivers, Awareness could control drops (Awareness is a clutch factor of sorts). b) Lower QB Accuracy means more wobbly balls that are hard to catch. Whatever the reason, putting QB Accuracy around 30 to 45 increases receiver drops.
  • WR Catching naturally affects drops. That's obvious. What's not so obvious is the side effects increasing it brings. I tested the game at 70 WR Catching, and I found out that: a) WR Catching affects every player with a pair of hands. In other words, defenders are more likely to get an interception by increasing WR Catching, regardless of the Interception slider. b) The increase in interceptions is offset by a serious decrease in the DB's ability to contest passes. For some weird reason, increasing WR Catching makes defenders be less aggressive when going for the ball if there's a receiver around. And if the receiver can catch the ball, they'll let him catch the ball ... at times even if they could try to get the INT or at least deflect the pass. There are times where the defender will stop on the route, then proceed AFTER the receiver caught the ball, or outright look confused with the ball in the air. c) This slider also affects the ball trajectory. So, with a higher WRC, there are time when a pass could be tipped by a defender or multiple defenders, who will miss the ball. Said ball will end in the receivers hands. This results in 2 things: First, Nigh indefensible passes, and contested catches being tipped in favor of the receiver.
  • There are two sliders that I'm suspecting of aggravating the drops issue. Tackling and Facemask Penalty, mostly for catches in traffic, which is where most of the drops happen. Tackling naturally affects the tackling success rate, but I suspect it also alters how "powerful" hits are, and I'd say that "powerful" hits are more likely to force a drop. As for Facemask, I'm still figuring out exactly WHAT it does, aside from increasing the likehood of facemasks being called. I'm still not 100% sure if increasing it means more powerful hits OR more wrap-up tackles, but I THINK it could be the former. There are also a fair amount of broken tackles at 95 (The setting I'm running right now). I should test it 50 or 40 to see if it affects tackling animations, as well as the drops.

Another affect QB throw power - Sometimes the ball comes in too fast for the player and it's a drop. Other times John says "the QB really put some heat on that throw" with it being a completed pass. And tagging on your QB accuracy, the ball "placement" in the accuracy makes a huge wave on how the passes are either tipped away from or into WR hands. I have witnessed major popups from tipped passes since my adjustments. Seroiusly 10 yrds high and anywhere between 5-15 yrds down field! I have one replay a very close "Immaculate" reception. The pass was caught, jarred loose, popped 15 yards downfield and caught by a TE, who almost scored!

What's the Defense Awareness set to in all of this? Are you playing with smart guys or have you dumb them down?

because I got tired of so may 0-0 half time scores. 3 & outs, I been tweaking sliders for some time now, looking for a happy balance between arcade and realism. I have my CPU WR catching is at 58. QB accuracy is 73. All-pro settings. Still get plenty of drops too! But I do get more 1 hand catch attempts from the go-to-guys. I did read in another post about how the roles also affect these things too. Have you been tweaking roles in your pursuits!

cdcool
MVP

Postby cdcool » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:29 pm

joegreenlight10 wrote:Behold, the dropped passes percentages for the 2018 season. The Jags had 536 passing attempts, so 5.2% of them would be 27 and change. Bottom line, no team is dropping more than 2 a game on average. The Rams had 568 attempts, so just over a dozen drops all year.

https://twitter.com/NFLMatchup/status/1 ... 5486518272

You won't get that using 15-minute Quarters CPU vs CPU with Madden, you need around 10 per game to get good Pass completion percentages and yards, some I would not consider drops but incompletions.

Return to “Sliders and adjustments”