Creating new players outside of the game?

pcastleberg
Rookie

Postby pcastleberg » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:13 pm

Hi all,

First a little background, I help run the Gridiron Football Simulation Association (GFSA) sim league. Basically we have people chose a character and two positions that character then plays "both ways". In reality its two different players but their build is theoretically identical.

Users earn points to assign to "develop" their player. At the beginning all players are at 70 for every Attribute category. In the google sheet we have players highlighted by their team color to make them easy to find and update.

Because I took this over from someone else (no longer avialable) I am unable to ask him how he was doing things. We have a "Roster" sheet where all player updates are entered, this roster sheet is in Google sheets and it is basically the same as a .csv extra of a .ros file.

Right now when we create new players join I have been just choosing existing non human players that are set to 70 and changing their name, height and weight, and adding them to the team they end up on after being drafted.

We update the players attributes weekly and then download a .csv file and use that to update our .ros file for actual game simulations.

So that's the background, now for the issues I am having:
While just "converting" existing players in the roster sounds good, it creates issues.
    1. I can't tell a players skin tone from the google sheet roster file (or at least I don't know how to) so I end up sometimes with a player who has a white player on one side of the ball and a black player on the other side of the ball....this obviously ruins the "one player" playing both ways vibe LOL
    2. Player body builds also sometimes vary widely even though I give them the same height/weight
    3. I tried making the new players in game to avoid this but because we highlight players uploading a new .csv file into the google sheet doesn't play nice as the highlights no longer match etc...as well as it can mess up outside formulas we have reading our roster file that allow players to know how much they have spent and what their player build is.

Bottom line is I am looking for the most efficient way to create new players without hosing up my whole spreadsheet and database. Is it possible to just create players within the spreadsheet and have them just show up when I do my next .csv export of the google sheet and upload it into our .ros file using the editor? If so does anyone know how to configure the if the player is going to be "white" or "black" or for that matter some skin shade in between.

Also is there a breakdown anywhere of what every item abbreviation in the .ros player file stands for?

If needed for reference I can provide file copies of our .ros or a .csv
Here is a link to our google sheet on which the GFSA Update Roster tab is our "roster" sheet if that helps.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1c8E6ApG07pA_SkByt8I2aPJ3-LUE3_yFWro2R_njGUY/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
pcastleberg

Sponsor

Sponsor

Return to “Rosters”