Why Madden 08? Why did that become the thing?

Theov
MVP

Re: Why Madden 08? Why did that become the thing?

Postby Theov » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:28 pm

ram29jackson wrote:
Theov wrote:
AaronS wrote:
There aren't words for how bad it is.

Just obvious, blatant CPU cheating.

All-Pro with good sliders is the only way to go.

I play All Madden (cpu 99sliders). I play the games myself.
What do you mean the cpu cheats? All QBs are superman in the 2min warning, but most of it is quite playable.

What do sliders really do? What changes? Or whsts harder?

It lets you make your or the cpu's players play better or worse.
If you set cpu kick power higher, the kickers will kick further.
Basically, the higher you set the sliders for the cpu the more difficult it is for the human player. If lowered, its easier. And vice versa.
No signature needed.

Sponsor

Sponsor

ram29jackson
Pro Bowl

Postby ram29jackson » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:35 pm

Theov wrote:
ram29jackson wrote:
Theov wrote:I play All Madden (cpu 99sliders). I play the games myself.
What do you mean the cpu cheats? All QBs are superman in the 2min warning, but most of it is quite playable.

Basically, the higher you set the sliders for the cpu the more difficult it is for the human player. If lowered, its easier. And vice versa.

Forgive me, dude, that doesn't really answer my question.

What does it do? In game scenarios? Also I don't know if I read it here or elsewhere but they said something to the effect that sliders only affect human play but not the AI team.. I'd have to see it again to understand the meaning.

But.. ok, so a team in game is 2-14, raise sliders they are then like a 14_2 team? Or are they still a weak team that's just more professional playing?
Do weak teams play like weak teams? We know madden has always had come from behind cheese logic in the code.

Are sliders in some cases just a placebo? What do they really do in the course of a game?

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:48 pm

ram29jackson wrote:
Theov wrote:
ram29jackson wrote:

What does it do? In game scenarios? Like he stated, it makes players perform better or worse. If you increase QB accuracy, all QB's are more accurate. Sliders also go hand-in-hand with the players ratings attributes. If you shut off the sliders, the player's perform solely based on their attribute ratings! Sliders also work with the games difficulty levels too. Also I don't know if I read it here or elsewhere but they said something to the effect that sliders only affect human play but not the AI team.. That's not true, Sliders affect every player's performance Human and CPU AI. I'd have to see it again to understand the meaning.

But.. ok, so a team in game is 2-14, raise sliders they are then like a 14_2 team? Or are they still a weak team that's just more professional playing? Nope, the team will compete a little better & make more plays, but as I mentioned above they sliders affect every player!
Do weak teams play like weak teams? That's the same question reworded! We know madden has always had come from behind cheese logic in the code. Come from behind logic has everything to do with roles. QB's with the role "Comeback Kid" perform better in the last portions of the games! Same for Franchise QB role!

Are sliders in some cases just a placebo? No! What do they really do in the course of a game? All of what we've already stated

Game difficulty, sliders, roles and Player & coach attribute ratings compliment each other and all play a key role in the games not having the same results every time. Why don't you just load the game and test them out for yourself?

ram29jackson
Pro Bowl

Postby ram29jackson » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:48 pm

MikeWest502 wrote:
ram29jackson wrote:
Theov wrote:It lets you make your or the cpu's players play better or worse.

What does it do? In game scenarios? Like he stated, it makes players perform better or worse. If you increase QB accuracy, all QB's are more accurate. Sliders also go hand-in-hand with the players ratings attributes. If you shut off the sliders, the player's perform solely based on their attribute ratings! Sliders also work with the games difficulty levels too. Also I don't know if I read it here or elsewhere but they said something to the effect that sliders only affect human play but not the AI team.. That's not true, Sliders affect every player's performance Human and CPU AI. I'd have to see it again to understand the meaning.

But.. ok, so a team in game is 2-14, raise sliders they are then like a 14_2 team? Or are they still a weak team that's just more professional playing? Nope, the team will compete a little better & make more plays, but as I mentioned above they sliders affect every player!
Do weak teams play like weak teams? That's the same question reworded! We know madden has always had come from behind cheese logic in the code. Come from behind logic has everything to do with roles. QB's with the role "Comeback Kid" perform better in the last portions of the games! Same for Franchise QB role!

Are sliders in some cases just a placebo? No! What do they really do in the course of a game? All of what we've already stated

Game difficulty, sliders, roles and Player & coach attribute ratings compliment each other and all play a key role in the games not having the same results every time. Why don't you just load the game and test them out for yourself?

My questions aren't quick questions obviously. I'm asking guys who have played for hours and hours and may see things I casually wouldn't initially.

And roles don't apply to the earlier ps2 maddens. This is about conversation. I'll obviously find out some things as I play..but again, I'm not looking for a chest sheet. Just conversation about who's observed what from the AI.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:27 pm

ram29jackson wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:
ram29jackson wrote:

My questions aren't quick questions obviously. I'm asking guys who have played for hours and hours and may see things I casually wouldn't initially.

And roles don't apply to the earlier ps2 maddens. This is about conversation. I'll obviously find out some things as I play..but again, I'm not looking for a chest sheet. Just conversation about who's observed what from the AI.

I would point out to this thread for some information about what sliders do.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

ram29jackson
Pro Bowl

Postby ram29jackson » Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:45 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
ram29jackson wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:

Ok,thanks ,I appreciate your bothering to do that.
But those are just the instruction manual type answers.
I'm asking for experiential long term wisdom on what someone has seen them do or not do. I hope that didn't sound nasty. Not my intention. Just having conversation here :)

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:30 pm

ram29jackson wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:
ram29jackson wrote:

I'm asking for experiential long term wisdom on what someone has seen them do or not do. I hope that didn't sound nasty. Not my intention. Just having conversation here :)

My answers are from years and years (not hours & hours) of experience playing Madden 08 PC & PS2. Not loosely based. My information is based on the use of different sliders setting through many, many franchise games that I played. And simply because the answers are not lengthy, doesn't mean the don't have value! In this conversation, are you going to share your experiences also?

ram29jackson
Pro Bowl

Postby ram29jackson » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:43 pm

MikeWest502 wrote:
ram29jackson wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:

My answers are from years and years (not hours & hours) of experience playing Madden 08 PC & PS2. Not loosely based. My information is based on the use of different sliders setting through many, many franchise games that I played. And simply because the answers are not lengthy, doesn't mean the don't have value! In this conversation, are you going to share your experiences also?

I didn't say you didn't have value. That's why I thanked. Just looking for ... I'm asking anecdotes. First hand visualization of incidents, not just this slider does this etc.. repeated things that show patterns with this slider or that.
Not trying to make anyone defensive here.

Sure, such and such slider is supposed to affect line play...but...how does it really? Does it really? What do you see at each level?

I'm having conversation here. Not just a data/definitions look up exchange.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:48 am

ram29jackson wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:
ram29jackson wrote:

I didn't say you didn't have value. That's why I thanked. Just looking for ... I'm asking anecdotes. First hand visualization of incidents, not just this slider does this etc.. repeated things that show patterns with this slider or that.
Not trying to make anyone defensive here.

Sure, such and such slider is supposed to affect line play...but...how does it really? Does it really? What do you see at each level?

I'm having conversation here. Not just a data/definitions look up exchange.

I'm not feeling defensive at all here, this is simple general conversation about why members still enjoy and play Madden 08 even after 13 years and in the advent of Madden 19-21 being available! Basic conversation right?

The topic asks " Why Madden 08? Why did that become the thing?". That goes well beyond sliders. It speaks to the depth of game play experience that each of us enjoy. Whether it be in franchise or building a Super Star or Owners Mode & the draft, 08 has delivered a product that even the general player can immerse themselves into. It's a solid product.

You ask about sliders, "what do they really do?" When adjusted they will give the human player a tougher time winning. They will challenge your strategy and play calling. They minimize cheesing your way to easy victories. One of my favorites is the Defensive Awareness Slider. They react to the offensive plays so much better in defending passes, stopping you on 3rd downs, making smarter decisions and they allow the defense to make big plays during the key moments in the game to turn the tide! If it's late in the game and you only need a FG to win it, with the right slider setting the defense will rise to the occasion and you won't be able to get into FG range. And if you unable to stomach a loss, you'll quit!

But it's two-fold. defenders with low awareness attributes will continue to make mistakes, jump off sides, get beat, and miss tackles when you need to make a stand.

An offensive slider I love is the RB Ability. With that adjustment, the RB's turn into the true monsters they're meant to be. If you have a RB that has high break tackle, don't expect him to be taken down by the first guy, or even one guy. And if it's late in the game and you need a stop with the cpu needing to control the clock. You're probably not going to get the ball back! The Hit Stick will be used against you! When you use the hit stick trying to make a tackle, the RB will perform an offensive hit stick motion depending on his strength, truck you or juke you leaving you in his dust!

Another thing I do is use all of the playbooks. I don't have a money book or cheese plays! I play each team using their book focusing on their strengths! I don't always win! But it's fun, I don't have a problem with losing and I don't get bored calling the same plays & using the same formations every game over and over!

And 08 is the thing because modders were able to crack the code! The overall experience with the up to date players, ratings, uniforms, stadiums. player portraits and playbooks keep it as fresh as it was in 08! If you haven't downloaded RevanFan's historic Dallas Cowboys Mod, do so! It's a 60 year franchise dating back to the 1960 team up to the current 2021 cowboys!

Just conversation!

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:38 am

ram29jackson wrote:
jose21crisis wrote:
ram29jackson wrote:

"WR Catching: Affects the catch-to-drop ratio and alters some of the animations."
I dont know what other answer you are looking for.

Anecdotes are the flimsiest of evidence.

Since I put the difficulty cpu sliders up to 99 instead of the default 50, I have a harder time putting up points against the cpu and the cou players play better, as in: they miss less tackles, catch easier, block better, pass more accurately, etc.
This is from human v cpu games in my franchises.

But its kinda straight forward really.

If you want more specifics about the sliders, maybe you can ask a more specific question.
How do you play (human v cpu, cpu v cpu, sim??)
Franchise, online, exibition?
No signature needed.

Return to “General Discussion”