Why Madden 08? Why did that become the thing?

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Re: Why Madden 08? Why did that become the thing?

Postby AaronS » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:13 pm

ram29jackson wrote:
2004 is a really solid game. Unpredictability is its strength. But with the gameplay advancements in the newer versions, its extremely dated

Mmm? Unpredictability? Like what? Interesting

It was the last version I have played where the outcomes were unpredictable.

I can't even count how many times I thought I would wipe a team out, and they gave me a tough game.

Unless you play on All-Madden, which is the biggest insult to gaming in the history of gaming, Madden 05-08 is entirely predictable. IF by chance you lose, it is beacuse you made too many bad plays. Even then, you usually overcome the mistakes. Many people just go CPU vs CPU beacuse of that.

Sponsor

Sponsor

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:19 pm

ThePurplePeopleEater wrote:It's common opinion that 05-08 were the best all around and most complete games, and 08 being the most recent version for many years helped make this game the one game that everyone played.
I do think this game is the best all around Madden game... but in terms of gameplay alone? I think no Madden game comes close to what Madden 12 achieved. I really wish that game was released on PC. And even then, 12 still doesn't hold a candle to the NCAA games on PS2 in the mechanics department.

12 is great for franchise (PS3)

You can really dive deep with the 75-man pre-season rosters, and a realistic functional IR.

Gameplay is all over the place though. As much bad as good.

If they somehow combinded 12 with 09 Head Coach, that would probably be the only game I would ever play.

ram29jackson
Pro Bowl

Postby ram29jackson » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:30 pm

AaronS wrote:
ram29jackson wrote:
2004 is a really solid game. Unpredictability is its strength. But with the gameplay advancements in the newer versions, its extremely dated

Mmm? Unpredictability? Like what? Interesting

It was the last version I have played where the outcomes were unpredictable.

I can't even count how many times I thought I would wipe a team out, and they gave me a tough game.

Unless you play on All-Madden, which is the biggest insult to gaming in the history of gaming, Madden 05-08 is entirely predictable. IF by chance you lose, it is beacuse you made too many bad plays. Even then, you usually overcome the mistakes. Many people just go CPU vs CPU beacuse of that.

Just making sure ,you mean All-madden setting is bad?

ram29jackson
Pro Bowl

Postby ram29jackson » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:35 pm

MikeWest502 wrote:
ram29jackson wrote:08 became the thing beacuse it was the last PC version for over a decade
##########################

Well, that would be a good start reason lol

It became the thing not because it was the last one, it was the only one!

It became the game to play because NFL 2K never ported to PC. 08 became the thing because none of the NCAA titles were brought back to PC. Had any of the NCAA titles or NFL 2K made it to PC, they would be the well above Madden 08! Madden 08 PS2 is hands down far better than the PC version. Of the newer Madden Titles 19-21, 20 is the most stable. 19's gameplay mechanics totally failed and 21 is extremely glitchy.

Madden 08, ps2 is better than pc version, you say.
Interesting.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:10 pm

ram29jackson wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:
ram29jackson wrote:08 became the thing beacuse it was the last PC version for over a decade
##########################

Well, that would be a good start reason lol

It became the thing not because it was the last one, it was the only one!

It became the game to play because NFL 2K never ported to PC. 08 became the thing because none of the NCAA titles were brought back to PC. Had any of the NCAA titles or NFL 2K made it to PC, they would be the well above Madden 08! Madden 08 PS2 is hands down far better than the PC version. Of the newer Madden Titles 19-21, 20 is the most stable. 19's gameplay mechanics totally failed and 21 is extremely glitchy.

Madden 08, ps2 is better than pc version, you say.
Interesting.

1. Import real draft classes directly from NCAA 08 into a franchise.
2. Import Custom teams from NFL Head Coach or other versions of Madden PS2
3. New Gen Player Ratings Attributes.
4. More Gameplay animations.
5. Tournament mode.
6. Custom Teams can play in franchise vs NFL teams
7. Madden Cards

Yeah, I'd say PS2 is better overall

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:25 pm

ram29jackson wrote:Just making sure ,you mean All-madden setting is bad?

There aren't words for how bad it is.

Just obvious, blatant CPU cheating.

All-Pro with good sliders is the only way to go.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:28 pm

MikeWest502 wrote:1. Import real draft classes directly from NCAA 08 into a franchise.

5. Tournament mode.
7. Madden Cards

Which versions were those added in?

I've been thinking about giving PCSX2 a try..

.. suppose its too much to ask that they fixed sim stats also? (broken RB slider)

ThePurplePeopleEater
MVP

Postby ThePurplePeopleEater » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:19 pm

ram29jackson wrote:
ThePurplePeopleEater wrote:It's common opinion that 05-08 were the best all around and most complete games, and 08 being the most recent version for many years helped make this game the one game that everyone played.
I do think this game is the best all around Madden game... but in terms of gameplay alone? I think no Madden game comes close to what Madden 12 achieved. I really wish that game was released on PC. And even then, 12 still doesn't hold a candle to the NCAA games on PS2 in the mechanics department.

Madden 12 , ps2?

Xbox 360/PS3.

ram29jackson
Pro Bowl

Postby ram29jackson » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:03 pm

ThePurplePeopleEater wrote:
ram29jackson wrote:

Madden 12 , ps2?

Xbox 360/PS3.

No, I at that moment wasn't sure of a Madden 12 for ps2 lol

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:02 am

AaronS wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:1. Import real draft classes directly from NCAA 08 into a franchise.

5. Tournament mode.
7. Madden Cards

Which versions were those added in?

I've been thinking about giving PCSX2 a try..

.. suppose its too much to ask that they fixed sim stats also? (broken RB slider)

My mom always said "say what you mean and mean what you say".

What I meant to write was NOT the "New Gen Ratings Attributes". They came into effect in Madden 09 all versions. What I meant to say was "New Gen Weapons/Roles". And those are on Madden 08 XBox360 and PS3. I have PC, PS2 and 360 versions of Madden 08! My mistake! I got excited, too much coffee!

As far as the animations, there are many more in the PS2 version over the PC version. I was playing a game, there was a cut scene where the camera went up to the booth had the CPU OC on the radio talking with the HC recommending a play for the crucial moment late in a game!

Return to “General Discussion”