Why Madden 08? Why did that become the thing?

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Re: Why Madden 08? Why did that become the thing?

Postby AaronS » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:08 pm

MikeWest502 wrote:My mom always said "say what you mean and mean what you say".

What I meant to write was NOT the "New Gen Ratings Attributes". They came into effect in Madden 09 all versions. What I meant to say was "New Gen Weapons/Roles". And those are on Madden 08 XBox360 and PS3. I have PC, PS2 and 360 versions of Madden 08! My mistake! I got excited, too much coffee!

As far as the animations, there are many more in the PS2 version over the PC version. I was playing a game, there was a cut scene where the camera went up to the booth had the CPU OC on the radio talking with the HC recommending a play for the crucial moment late in a game!

Thank you, I didn't realize all Maddens added the ratings after 08.

May have to give PS2 a whirl.

I'm enjoying 12 (PS3) at the moment, couldn't do much under the hood though. The file structure is a complete mess. Very frustrated that they still have absurd positional requirements. (4 tackles, 4 guards, 2 C.. 2 of each safety?.. C'MON!) Playbooks are a disaster too. Couldn't find a way to organize them the way I like.

At least I know I can make the PS2 version into what I want it to be. Albeit with a major graphic sacrifice.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:13 pm

AaronS wrote:
ram29jackson wrote:Just making sure ,you mean All-madden setting is bad?

There aren't words for how bad it is.

Just obvious, blatant CPU cheating.

All-Pro with good sliders is the only way to go.

I play All Madden (cpu 99sliders). I play the games myself.
What do you mean the cpu cheats? All QBs are superman in the 2min warning, but most of it is quite playable.
No signature needed.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:24 pm

Theov wrote:
AaronS wrote:I play All Madden (cpu 99sliders). I play the games myself.
What do you mean the cpu cheats? All QBs are superman in the 2min warning, but most of it is quite playable.

Isn't it documented All-Madden = all CPU players play at 127 OVR?

Obnoxious fumbles, with backs that don't fumble, like Barry. Psychic defenders, that go from clearly beat, to miraculously making a play.

Those things still exist in All-Pro, but nowhere near on the same level.

Beyond '05, the AI can't really beat me. Not bragging, don't mean to sound that way at all. I think most lifetime Maddeners would say the same. All-Madden is the toughest game, but its just flat out CPU cheese. I feel cheated everytime I play it.

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:43 pm

AaronS wrote:
Theov wrote:
AaronS wrote:I play All Madden (cpu 99sliders). I play the games myself.

Isn't it documented All-Madden = all CPU players play at 127 OVR?

Obnoxious fumbles, with backs that don't fumble, like Barry. Psychic defenders, that go from clearly beat, to miraculously making a play.

Those things still exist in All-Pro, but nowhere near on the same level.

Beyond '05, the AI can't really beat me. Not bragging, don't mean to sound that way at all. I think most lifetime Maddeners would say the same. All-Madden is the toughest game, but its just flat out CPU cheese. I feel cheated everytime I play it.

Agree.
AI plays pretty bad.
Yeah the defenders respond fast, but you still feel that slow defenders are slow.

127 OVR? Bad players play badly, also at All Madden.
Maybe except for the 2 min warning. Then you should just run the clock and never give them the ball.
No signature needed.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:37 pm

AaronS wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:My mom always said "say what you mean and mean what you say".

What I meant to write was NOT the "New Gen Ratings Attributes". They came into effect in Madden 09 all versions. What I meant to say was "New Gen Weapons/Roles". And those are on Madden 08 XBox360 and PS3. I have PC, PS2 and 360 versions of Madden 08! My mistake! I got excited, too much coffee!

As far as the animations, there are many more in the PS2 version over the PC version. I was playing a game, there was a cut scene where the camera went up to the booth had the CPU OC on the radio talking with the HC recommending a play for the crucial moment late in a game!

Thank you, I didn't realize all Maddens added the ratings after 08.

May have to give PS2 a whirl.

I'm enjoying 12 (PS3) at the moment, couldn't do much under the hood though. The file structure is a complete mess. Very frustrated that they still have absurd positional requirements. (4 tackles, 4 guards, 2 C.. 2 of each safety?.. C'MON!) Playbooks are a disaster too. Couldn't find a way to organize them the way I like.

At least I know I can make the PS2 version into what I want it to be. Albeit with a major graphic sacrifice.

PCSX2 1.6 has settings for Madden to run in 4K as long as your video & TV can handle it!

ram29jackson
Pro Bowl

Postby ram29jackson » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:57 pm

MikeWest502 wrote:
AaronS wrote:
MikeWest502 wrote:1. Import real draft classes directly from NCAA 08 into a franchise.
2. Import Custom teams from NFL Head Coach or other versions of Madden PS2
3. New Gen Player Ratings Attributes.
4. More Gameplay animations.

5. Tournament mode.
6. Custom Teams can play in franchise vs NFL teams
7. Madden Cards

Yeah, I'd say PS2 is better overall

Which versions were those added in?

I've been thinking about giving PCSX2 a try..

.. suppose its too much to ask that they fixed sim stats also? (broken RB slider)

My mom always said "say what you mean and mean what you say".

What? Are you sure it was ps2 ..08? Sounds too elaborate for that

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:39 pm

ram29jackson wrote:

What? Are you sure it was ps2 ..08? Sounds too elaborate for that[/quote] 100%

The thing is, if you're a button masher and speed through the end of the plays going into the play selection you miss a lot of cut scene videos. There's a cut scene where the HC is talking on the headset mic with his hand covering his mouth so the opponent can't read his lips. There's a cut scene where the HC is on the sideline reviewing a play with the QB using a tablet (after the QB has thrown a INT)! John and Al have a few more sound bytes than the PC version! The instant replay is split screen in Madden 08 PS2. It shows the WR on one side running his route making the catch and the QB dropping to throw the pass for the big play!

The sound mode options are better quality on PS2 (Dolby Pro Logic II) over the regular Mono/Stereo PC has to offer.
Attachments
OC in Booth.png
OC in Booth.png (288.32 KiB) Viewed 1260 times

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:33 am

4k.. pretty impressive.

ram29jackson
Pro Bowl

Postby ram29jackson » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:36 pm

Theov wrote:
AaronS wrote:
ram29jackson wrote:Just making sure ,you mean All-madden setting is bad?

There aren't words for how bad it is.

Just obvious, blatant CPU cheating.

All-Pro with good sliders is the only way to go.

I play All Madden (cpu 99sliders). I play the games myself.

What do sliders really do? What changes? Or whsts harder?

ram29jackson
Pro Bowl

Postby ram29jackson » Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:40 pm

As I asked in first post :D
And lastly...lol...can someone show me Harold Jackson, Rams ratings? He was my favorite player

Harold Jackson, Rams, 1970s, WR

Return to “General Discussion”