What determines a player becoming a coach?

Brock
All-Pro

Postby Brock » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:55 am

I haven't looked deeply into this, but it seems as if Madden just turns higher rated retired players into coaches. Is that just by the games design or is there a column that could determine this? Because if there is it was be cool to set it for lower skilled players that eventually retire.

Sponsor

Sponsor

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Re: What determines a player becoming a coach?

Postby MikeWest502 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 7:11 pm

Brock wrote:I haven't looked deeply into this, but it seems as if Madden just turns higher rated retired players into coaches. Is that just by the games design or is there a column that could determine this? Because if there is it was be cool to set it for lower skilled players that eventually retire.

That's a normal process in the NFL. Player do become coaches. Some of the even lower rated players have become good coaches.

Brock
All-Pro

Postby Brock » Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:42 am

I know. I was just wondering if it was something that could be edited in a csv file or something. Since it only seems like the elite players become coaches.

d36williams
Veteran

Postby d36williams » Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:53 pm

In real life, I usually thought the not-great players became better coaches. Mike Ditka is quite controversial, he may be the best player who turned into a credible coach. Tony Dungy too. Most very good coaches who were players barely clung to the NFL.

There's several things about the coaching cycle I find weird. I won 3 superbowls with Wade Phillips and he retired "i fulfilled all my career goals" he said. 5 or 6 seasons later he was the defensive coordinator of the Browns, the worst team in the NFL. I'm not sure how he came out of retirement and ended up back in the coaches pool, and was available to d-coord.

Brock
All-Pro

Postby Brock » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:22 pm

d36williams wrote:In real life, I usually thought the not-great players became better coaches. Mike Ditka is quite controversial, he may be the best player who turned into a credible coach. Tony Dungy too. Most very good coaches who were players barely clung to the NFL.

There's several things about the coaching cycle I find weird. I won 3 superbowls with Wade Phillips and he retired "i fulfilled all my career goals" he said. 5 or 6 seasons later he was the defensive coordinator of the Browns, the worst team in the NFL. I'm not sure how he came out of retirement and ended up back in the coaches pool, and was available to d-coord.

lol yeah its a known "bug" or weird thing. Belichick retired from the patriots only to become a head coach of the Vikings a few years later.

vid00d
Rookie

Postby vid00d » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:24 pm

In case anyone's interested in fixing the "I've fulfilled my career goals" bug, there's a post on the front page.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:49 pm

I think it's a random selection. I currently have multi-year franchise play in 07, 08, 09 and 11. Bret Farve only showed up as a coach for hire in 08. He's the OC for my team. The team has won a SB, so it will be interesting to see if the game makes my HC retire if/when the team wins a second SB. If so, Farve will get promoted to HC.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:34 pm

Brock wrote:I haven't looked deeply into this, but it seems as if Madden just turns higher rated retired players into coaches. Is that just by the games design or is there a column that could determine this? Because if there is it was be cool to set it for lower skilled players that eventually retire.

I don't know where any of it is determined, but from what I can tell, it seems like the players that come back as coaches always had a high OVR / they played a long time in the league. It would be cool if less prominent players could come back too.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

Brock
All-Pro

Postby Brock » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:49 pm

Danchat wrote:

I don't know where any of it is determined, but from what I can tell, it seems like the players that come back as coaches always had a high OVR / they played a long time in the league. It would be cool if less prominent players could come back too.

Yeah, I figured. Also I was hoping that there was something specific that could control it. I guess, I'll just delete the players/coaches I couldn't see being coaches.

Return to “General Discussion”