Andy Dalton will be released.

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Re: Andy Dalton will be released.

Postby elguapo » Sun May 03, 2020 5:48 pm

Danchat wrote:
elguapo wrote:
I agree and would not be surprised if Dalton becomes the starter. Dak has not proven himself and just like Romo, great numbers but not where it counts in the win column.

Edit:. ...and Jones missed his cinnamon that he hired a cinnamon to soften the pain. Lol

Yeah, swap out Dak for a guy who has proven he can't win in the playoffs... not to mention a guy who could only make $3M on the open market. Dalton's just a good backup at this point.

I must be missing something because I don't think Dak is winning playoff games either and he wants Tony Romo contract numbers without proving he can win. At least Jones got his money back with the Romo merchandise. I doubt Dak is selling merchandise like Romo. And like you mentioned, Dalton can't win in the playoffs but at least he got the Bengals to the playoffs unlike Romo and Dak so far. I guess time will tell.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Sun May 03, 2020 7:15 pm

elguapo wrote:
Danchat wrote:
elguapo wrote:
I agree and would not be surprised if Dalton becomes the starter. Dak has not proven himself and just like Romo, great numbers but not where it counts in the win column.

Edit:. ...and Jones missed his cinnamon that he hired a cinnamon to soften the pain. Lol

Yeah, swap out Dak for a guy who has proven he can't win in the playoffs... not to mention a guy who could only make $3M on the open market. Dalton's just a good backup at this point.

I must be missing something because I don't think Dak is winning playoff games either and he wants Tony Romo contract numbers without proving he can win. At least Jones got his money back with the Romo merchandise. I doubt Dak is selling merchandise like Romo. And like you mentioned, Dalton can't win in the playoffs but at least he got the Bengals to the playoffs unlike Romo and Dak so far. I guess time will tell.

I think Prescott can still improve his game - he's only played 4 seasons and at age 27 he could continue to improve his game. I certainly don't think he's worth paying $35M+ on a ridiculous deal, but unfortunately that's the QB market these days.

If they are going to replace Prescott, they should look to draft a QB in the 1st round. Subbing Dak for Dalton to try and slap a band-aid on the problem isn't going to fix their problems.

I have no idea what you mean by selling merchandise...
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Sun May 03, 2020 8:53 pm

Danchat wrote:
I have no idea what you mean by selling merchandise...

Well if you lived in Texas it seemed everyone was wearing a Romo jersey during the Romo years. At $80 dollars a jersey you can see how much Jones was getting back in merchandise sales.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon May 04, 2020 6:07 pm

elguapo wrote:
ultimatum77 wrote:Dak and his agent are looking pretty stupid right now for not taking that $33 mill per year deal. Cowboys have solid insurance in Andy Dalton who may perform a bit better with the same cast than even Dak has at this point.

Dalton is not going to be the starter. Ever. He's being payed a max of 7 million for one year. He's a backup. Dak is the starter without question if he signs a contract, and that is how it should be. Dak has been fantastic overall so far in his career. So much so that Gil Brandt, who drafted Roger Staubach, mind you, called him the third best quarterback in Cowboys history ALREADY.

But now the Cowboys do have some leverage. Dalton is definitely more capable of running a team than Cooper Rush, so Dak doesn't have the Cowboys' lack of a backup as a fallback anymore.
My Historic Cowboys Teams - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=240
My Cowboys Journal - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3610
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a New Yorker born and raised.

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Tue May 05, 2020 12:17 am

RevanFan wrote:Gil Brandt, who drafted Roger Staubach, mind you, called him the third best quarterback in Cowboys history ALREADY.

Who is second? So Aikman is below Dak? I doubt it very much and I'm not interested what place they fit in "Cowboys" history. I'm more interested how they faired against the NFL in wins.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Tue May 05, 2020 1:44 am

RevanFan wrote:
elguapo wrote:
ultimatum77 wrote:Dak and his agent are looking pretty stupid right now for not taking that $33 mill per year deal. Cowboys have solid insurance in Andy Dalton who may perform a bit better with the same cast than even Dak has at this point.

Dalton is not going to be the starter. Ever. He's being payed a max of 7 million for one year. He's a backup. Dak is the starter without question if he signs a contract, and that is how it should be. Dak has been fantastic overall so far in his career. So much so that Gil Brandt, who drafted Roger Staubach, mind you, called him the third best quarterback in Cowboys history ALREADY.

But now the Cowboys do have some leverage. Dalton is definitely more capable of running a team than Cooper Rush, so Dak doesn't have the Cowboys' lack of a backup as a fallback anymore.

In the word of Dennis Green...."Dak Prescott is who we thought he was...."

A mediocre quarterback that does not deserve the 33 million he was insanely offered by Jerry Jones.....

The Cowboys signing Andy Dalton was a very smart move probably done by Jerry's son Stephen and not Jerry himself as he's too enamored with his own team's players and resigns them to outrageous contracts long after they have peaked.....

Stephen makes good decisions, Jerry does not....otherwise you would have been stuck with headcase Manziel as your QB had Stephen not chosen a lineman instead.

If Dak holds out, Dalton will be the starter also even if Dak works out a contract with the cowboys I give it week 3 or 4 and Dalton will be the starter for the remainder of the season due to Dak's poor play or possible injury.
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Tue May 05, 2020 8:25 pm

ultimatum77 wrote:
In the word of Dennis Green...."Dak Prescott is who we thought he was...."

If Dak holds out, Dalton will be the starter also even if Dak works out a contract with the cowboys I give it week 3 or 4 and Dalton will be the starter for the remainder of the season due to Dak's poor play or possible injury.

Dak has a long way to go, yet we're four years in you're already assuming he'll never improve his game?

More likely is Dalton starts with Dak holding out, but Dalton's poor play forces the Dak extension! :lol:
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue May 05, 2020 10:55 pm

elguapo wrote:
RevanFan wrote:Gil Brandt, who drafted Roger Staubach, mind you, called him the third best quarterback in Cowboys history ALREADY.

Who is second? So Aikman is below Dak? I doubt it very much and I'm not interested what place they fit in "Cowboys" history. I'm more interested how they faired against the NFL in wins.

Aikman is second. Who did you think was second?

Brandt had it ordered like this: 1. Staubach, 2. Aikman, 3. Prescott, 4. White, 5. Romo.

As for how they've done against the NFL in wins (team stat by the way, not just on one guy. This isn't basketball.), Dak is 40-24 in the regular season--a very good record--and 1-2 in the playoffs--not great but okay considering how young he is.

I really don't understand why quarterback win percentage is seen as such an important stat? I consider it like win percentage for a pitcher in baseball; pretty much useless. Team sport, after all. No one in their right mind looks at a pitcher and says "He won 15 games! What a great season!" They look at stuff like ERA and ERA+, FIP and FIP-, K/9, BB/9, HR/9, WHIP, BABIP, K%, BB%, velocity, and spin rate. You know... stuff that actually measures the performance of the individual and not the team. On an individual level, other than in 2017, Dak has been fantastic.
My Historic Cowboys Teams - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=240
My Cowboys Journal - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3610
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a New Yorker born and raised.

MikeWest502
All-Pro

Postby MikeWest502 » Thu May 07, 2020 1:30 am

Way to stick up for you boy Revanfan! Dak is fine! He said he's growing into his position and to lead the cowboys back to glory takes rime and a team effort! He's on the right path! It's not his fault that the OC doesn't run first behind Zek or use play-action more! It's not Dak's problem Cooper is always gimpy and unreliable weekly! He can only ask for reliable weapons! They clearly needed a better TE too!

But Andy is... Andy! He's never lead the Bengals anywhere. He won't lead the cowboys, except maybe off the bus! His number's were basic! Marvin Lewis was a defensive genius and every season when they competed for the division was due to the defense, not Andy Dalton in any since! Andy can't compare to Tony Romo either! If A.J Green played with Brees or Rodgers, he could have had a Jerry Rice-Like career! Probably top 10 of all-time! But A.J playing with Dalton all those years, underachieved!

Only way Andy see's the field is if Dak get's injured! He'll be a team mentor because he knows the NFL weekly process and may help guide younger players, not just Dak!

AaronS
MVP

Postby AaronS » Thu May 07, 2020 10:47 am

AJ Green underachieved?

75 receptions, 1100+ yards and 8 tds per year... and mind you, he missed more than a seasons worth of games in his 8 years prior 2019.

I doubt his numbers would have been dramatically better with any other QB.

The difference would have been in the W department.

.. Romo >>> Dak and White, IMO.

Return to “Cincinnati Bengals”