How to continue my franchise

Champagne, beer and pretty women. Now what?

[1] No draft. Free Agency: only sign undrafted rookies and 68 OVR or less players (street free agents).
25%
[2] No draft. Free Agency: no restrictions in FA.
No votes
[3] Normal draft. Free Agency: only sign undrafted rookies and 68 OVR or less players (street free agents).
75%
[4] Normal draft. Free Agency: no restrictions in FA.
No votes
[5] something else...
No votes

Total votes: 8

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:44 am

Hello everyone,

at the Journals forum I am writing a story about my awful awful Bills.
What I did was, I fantasy-drafted only the worst of the worst players to fill my roster creating a 62 OVR team.

I didn't make any trades or signed anyone this whole season, and I just finished my first (2007) season.
You can read about it here:
https://www.footballidiot.com/forum/vie ... =2&t=21781

But this is not about asking you to read it, my question is about how to continue.

I thought about it for a long time and I can continue in the following ways:

Ordered from hard to easy
    [1] No draft. Free Agency: only sign undrafted rookies and 68 OVR or less players (street free agents).
    [2] No draft. Free Agency: no restrictions in FA.
    [3] Normal draft. Free Agency: only sign undrafted rookies and 68 OVR or less players (street free agents).
    [4] Normal draft. Free Agency: no restrictions in FA.
    [5] something else...

I would love to hear ideas or suggestions.
Thanks.

Theov
No signature needed.

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: How to continue my franchise

Postby RevanFan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:34 am

My vote would be 3 or 4. 3 if you want to see just how much of an impact a draft can have on an otherwise terrible team, and 4 if you want to see how long it takes for you to build the team to greatness.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

KO'BBF
MVP

Postby KO'BBF » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:15 am

I vote for option 4. I say go ahead and participate in the draft, and pick from the bottom. Sign FAs that are rated only in the 60s.
"There are Coaches who spend eighteen hours a day coaching the perfect game, and they lose because the ball is oval and they can't control the bounce." - Bud Grant

rambolz
All-Pro

Postby rambolz » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:44 pm

I vote for option 3. Draft as well as you can and see how much you can improve that way. But don't cheat the AI and trade for all their draft picks.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:55 pm

rambolz wrote:I vote for option 3. Draft as well as you can and see how much you can improve that way. But don't cheat the AI and trade for all their draft picks.

You mean like I do? Haha. I've actually been trying to stop myself from doing that as much. I limit myself to two trades, and I'm beginning to restrict it so the AI only gives me one or two draft picks instead of three. The default trade system is... not great. Offer them one player rated 90 and they'll give you half their draft. The top half, too.
My Cowboys Journal

rambolz
All-Pro

Postby rambolz » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:39 am

RevanFan wrote:
rambolz wrote:I vote for option 3. Draft as well as you can and see how much you can improve that way. But don't cheat the AI and trade for all their draft picks.

You mean like I do? Haha. I've actually been trying to stop myself from doing that as much. I limit myself to two trades, and I'm beginning to restrict it so the AI only gives me one or two draft picks instead of three. The default trade system is... not great. Offer them one player rated 90 and they'll give you half their draft. The top half, too.

I didn't have any specific users in mind when saying that, but basically yes ;) The AI really undervalue their draft picks

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:12 am

lol my players are worth nothing!

Given that there's a max of 10 picks , I guess my only option is to trade down.

In other franchises I trade down a few spots and get a 3rd round pick extra.
No signature needed.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:35 pm

Theov wrote:lol my players are worth nothing!

Given that there's a max of 10 picks , I guess my only option is to trade down.

In other franchises I trade down a few spots and get a 3rd round pick extra.

If you use Madden Amp for the draft, there is no limit to picks.
My Cowboys Journal

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:17 am

I think number 3 is a cool option. It's far more satisfying to develop players that are 68 and below and progress them through the franchise season into average starter quality or more. I have drafted a 66 overall qb in the 5th round and developed him using simple route concepts/high percentage pass plays and turned him into an 80 overall qb with 90 THP and 88 Accuracy, a far cry from where he started with 87 THP and 72 Accuracy just in 13 weeks of my first franchise season. Developing a low rating player especially a qb makes your play calling and pass aiming more intentional/focused in getting completions and limiting interceptions.

I think your franchise experiment is really cool. You should start a poll on this thread so that you can accurately tally the votes.
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:17 am

ultimatum77 wrote:I think number 3 is a cool option. It's far more satisfying to develop players that are 68 and below and progress them through the franchise season into average starter quality or more. I have drafted a 66 overall qb in the 5th round and developed him using simple route concepts/high percentage pass plays and turned him into an 80 overall qb with 90 THP and 88 Accuracy, a far cry from where he started with 87 THP and 72 Accuracy just in 13 weeks of my first franchise season. Developing a low rating player especially a qb makes your play calling and pass aiming more intentional/focused in getting completions and limiting interceptions.

I think your franchise experiment is really cool. You should start a poll on this thread so that you can accurately tally the votes.

How do I start a poll?

If the commissioner allows us to do a draft, I'll do a draft.
No signature needed.

Return to “General Discussion”