Progression and Salary Cap Miscalculations

Guides on achieving realism in franchise play.
ccb99
Rookie

Postby ccb99 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:18 pm

I apologize if this post does not belong here.
I generally try to play games as "un-modified" as possible. In Madden 08, I play franchises as the "owner only," meaning that I simulate every game and the only actions I take are management decisions (drafting, signing, etc.) However, as the franchise goes on, I have noticed two particular aspects which removes all of the fun: Players progress WAY too fast, and the salary cap grows too quickly in comparison to player salaries.
Here's an example of what I am talking about: using the default roster, I simulated 25 years into the future. At the end of the 25 years, I noticed that the AI-controlled Saints had a 99-overall player starting at almost every position, and they were winning the super bowl nearly every year. However, even with all of these 99-overall players, they were still under half of the salary cap.
Conversely, AI-controlled Patriots were stuck with their best player being a 79-overall, the team was miserable ("I'm suing the Patriots for emotional damages"), and they had a losing season every year. This primarily led me to the conclusion that the salary cap expands too quickly.
Onto the second problem: I started another franchise and simulated a single year. The default roster only has four players rated 99-overall, but after simulating the first season, there were more than 20 players rated 99-overall. These two poorly designed elements combine to create an eternal lose-lose situation for any team which is not successful in the first 3-5 years, and a situation which is completely unrealistic.
As I mentioned before, I prefer to play as un-modified as possible, but all of the fun is taken out due to poorly designed mechanics. I am searching for a solution to at least one (but preferably both) of these problems which requires as little effort as possible.

TL;DR: Franchise mode in base game has two game-breaking problems: salary cap increases too much and players progress too fast. How would I go about fixing these for a realistic franchise mode?

(Side note: I am perfectly willing to use editors, but since I use Windows 10, I often encounter problems

Sponsor

Sponsor

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Re: Progression and Salary Cap Miscalculations

Postby Danchat » Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:25 pm

ccb99 wrote:I apologize if this post does not belong here.
I generally try to play games as "un-modified" as possible. In Madden 08, I play franchises as the "owner only," meaning that I simulate every game and the only actions I take are management decisions (drafting, signing, etc.) However, as the franchise goes on, I have noticed two particular aspects which removes all of the fun: Players progress WAY too fast, and the salary cap grows too quickly in comparison to player salaries.
Here's an example of what I am talking about: using the default roster, I simulated 25 years into the future. At the end of the 25 years, I noticed that the AI-controlled Saints had a 99-overall player starting at almost every position, and they were winning the super bowl nearly every year. However, even with all of these 99-overall players, they were still under half of the salary cap.
Conversely, AI-controlled Patriots were stuck with their best player being a 79-overall, the team was miserable ("I'm suing the Patriots for emotional damages"), and they had a losing season every year. This primarily led me to the conclusion that the salary cap expands too quickly.
Onto the second problem: I started another franchise and simulated a single year. The default roster only has four players rated 99-overall, but after simulating the first season, there were more than 20 players rated 99-overall. These two poorly designed elements combine to create an eternal lose-lose situation for any team which is not successful in the first 3-5 years, and a situation which is completely unrealistic.
As I mentioned before, I prefer to play as un-modified as possible, but all of the fun is taken out due to poorly designed mechanics. I am searching for a solution to at least one (but preferably both) of these problems which requires as little effort as possible.

TL;DR: Franchise mode in base game has two game-breaking problems: salary cap increases too much and players progress too fast. How would I go about fixing these for a realistic franchise mode?

(Side note: I am perfectly willing to use editors, but since I use Windows 10, I often encounter problems

The problem with progression is with the location of the progression points. The default points put one point in the Championship game and one in the Super Bowl, so the handful of teams that make that far get waaaay too much progression. Plus there are certain positions that get too many boosts (CB) and some get too few (WR).

I would use the NZA 2.0 editor to change the number/location of progression points. You can also use the editor to lower the cap number, which I find is a necessity. Also, to balance teams' caps, make sure rookie contracts are lowered. NZA 2.0 also has a feature that overhauls the rookie contract pay scale. The default will pay massive sums to high 1st round picks and actually make their contracts higher than the best veterans in the game.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

Return to “Franchise Guides”