How's Madden now compared to 2008?

Jax85
Rookie

Postby Jax85 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:22 am

Thanks God Madden is returning to PC! I've never been a fan of Xbox or PS. Have been playing M08 PC ever since it came out. My old PC with the M08 installation broke down last year. Couldn't get the game working on my new PC. I thought my Madden days were over for good. Turns out it was just a short break to juice up for M19! :D

Being used to M08 and knowing the game inside out, I would like to know what are the biggest changes in terms of gameplay? I've already seen there are so many new player attributes. Do they really impact the game or is it still about speed, size and throw power like M08?

In M08 you could shatter all records with a QB like Cutler throwing to the likes of Troy Williamson and Malcom Floyd. Any TE would catch everything thrown his way. OL didn't matter at all. You could field 5 converted nose tackles with good strength rating and there would be no difference. Your 95 speed CB with 68 overall rating could shut down elite WR. Switching your fast 230lbs. LB to DE was a guaranty for 30 sacks. I could go on and on, but you get my point.

Sponsor

Sponsor

AaronS
MVP

Re: How's Madden now compared to 2008?

Postby AaronS » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:01 pm

Not much improvement.

Still a cheese fest, with the typical amount of unstoppable $$$ plays, and stuff that will make you want to chuck your controller at your TV.

Players are kind of cartoony.. animations still need work.. but visually is hands down the greatest improvement over 2005-08.

Can't speak to the new attributes or franchise stats. I'm sure we'll be dissecting that all year.

.. I'm just glad its back. Trying to bury my vitriol for the time being.

Chargerbolt
Pro Bowl

Postby Chargerbolt » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:14 pm

If this is to be believed, the aspects mentioned are included.

https://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/features

Another thing purportedly new as an attribute is the WR and DB battles for going after the ball.

MKDAWUSS
Veteran

Postby MKDAWUSS » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:33 pm

From what I've seen from the YouTubes, I'm not that impressed. I'd probably pass on this if it wasn't for the fact that Madden 08 is unplayable for me (penalty crash, and Cal's scripts also end in C2Ds). Might wait for the price drop IDK.

armyofone
Veteran

Postby armyofone » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:16 pm

It's really not that bad of game. I just watched a game (not played but watched) and it's a huge improvement over the 17 and 18 versions. I have a PC from about 6 or 7 years ago and it runs the game fine.

paulogcneto
Rookie

Postby paulogcneto » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:29 am

armyofone wrote:It's really not that bad of game. I just watched a game (not played but watched) and it's a huge improvement over the 17 and 18 versions. I have a PC from about 6 or 7 years ago and it runs the game fine.

Whats your videocard?

armyofone
Veteran

Postby armyofone » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:57 pm

Nvidia GeForce GTX 660

Ghost901
Rookie

Postby Ghost901 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 2:18 am

armyofone wrote:Nvidia GeForce GTX 660

What settings are you running it at? I'm getting some issues on my 1060 6GB.

Newjack
Veteran

Postby Newjack » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:50 am

Ok, I'll try to provide some insight or compare the two. I got the game on 8/2 late at night after figuring out I needed to purchase OA premiere. It was too late to play bc of work the next morning. After leaving work early on Friday, I started out with the Skills trainer. (remember this is a trial version until 8/6 11pm CST)

IMPORTANT Note: Anyone who doesn't own a console and has only played Madden on the PC since 08, will need to go through the skills trainer because some of the buttons have different functions. For example, the sprint button is R2 or RT depending on your controller as opposed to X or A. All of the changes take some getting accustom too. Passing is different as there are 5? different types of passes you can make: bullet, touch, lob, low, and high (forgive if I'm wrong, I'm going from memory and don't have the game near me). Each one has a different sequence of buttons plus you should also take control of the WR and make the catch. The WRs don't make the catches themselves that well. I think you can just push 1 of the 3 catch options and that switches you to the WR. I achieved some silver, but mostly bronze medals on passing drills. Running the ball seemed difficult to excel. I did everything on All-Madden. I failed alot of the drills and mostly achieved a bronze on the ones I passed. The difference is the speed of pushing the buttons, which is a problem when you are learning which buttons to push. If you want to enjoy/excel the game, I would suggest starting out on Rookie. And then work your way up to All-Madden.

Another setting is Speed: Slow/Normal/Fast. I chose "fast."

Next, I jumped into head to head online play using quick match. Played a total of 6 online games using the quick match. The games were really fun and it maybe because no one in the PC community knows how to abuse the game as of yet. Either way, the gameplay was very realistic, minus a few needed tweaks.

The simulation of the visual presentation is amazing. Stadiums are great, crowds are nice. On the field during any play, you can scroll through 5 screen views by pressing the d-pad. You can sub packages or individual players from the playcall screen. During your playcall, there is a 2nd box that shows the last playcall you made and your opponent's playcall. The playbooks seem to be extensive, I was impressed. The defensive playbooks have so many options: Cover 1 through 6, exotic blitzes, etc.

I started building a MUT team and its way too much information to post about; however you can totally build a team without spending money. You just have to crank out a ton of solo challenges to build up your team. I don't even understand what all of the stuff means, but I'm doing it just to see.

The last thing I'm going to explore is franchise mode. It looks really impressive. I've been in PC online franchise leagues since Madden '01 w/Eddie George on the cover. I just retired '08 because I have windows 10 and it keeps crashing despite everything I tried. There are a ton of features in franchise mode that you can read up on in other links, but you create a league, decide public or private and others can join. The league commish can send updates and messages within the game to all league members. You can use a custom roster. Need to test out if you can adjust the sliders and if they will work in online games (didn't work in '08). The team building is extensive and thorough. Active team owners would see improvement, which is fun when 32 guys are involved. I'm thinking of starting a slower pace league without using a third party messenger. I have some friends that I will test out the franchise mode with once they get the game this week.

Overall, the game is much improved in my opinion. In addition to all of the features that you have read in all of the articles, I think the gameplay is very realistic. Ballcarriers will bounce off of tacklers by stumbling, some will regain their balance and others will fall. Defenders will miss on hitstick attempts often. WR/DB battle is very real. I think there are entirely too many tip drill catches/interceptions :| (I would like to try to tone this down with sliders). The defensive LBs and DBs seemed slow in their pursuit of HBs that got outside and in sprint mode (this could've been a team issue). Passing is difficult but I made some really nice passes in online play. You can throw WRs open but it takes some practice. You throw alot of interceptions if you don't use the buttons properly. It's challenging but fun. DL have a challenge getting off blocks to pass rush, they are better at beating blocks vs the run...sometimes.

kicks are not a gimme from outside a decent distance. Kick returning is real. I haven't seen one broken for a TD, but I've seen some nice returns. Punt returns will take some practice.

I'll answer any questions you have in particular to gameplay but at this point I'm rambling. I like the game as a major upgrade to '08. 08 had a very great run, it's one of the greatest football games of all time.

armyofone
Veteran

Postby armyofone » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:39 pm

Ghost901 wrote:
armyofone wrote:Nvidia GeForce GTX 660

What settings are you running it at? I'm getting some issues on my 1060 6GB.

Whatever is defaulted too. Looks like more\\st settings are in the normal to low ranges, but I was able to run it in windowed mode and use my other screen for internet....haven't had a single lockup of freeze or errors for that matter. The graphics with my card is not very good but it runs fine. I do have a new PC on order that comes with a 1070 or 1080 8GB CARD.

Return to “General Discussion”