2018 Offensive and Defensive Playbooks and Schemes

RevanFan
Legend

Re: 2018 Offensive and Defensive Playbooks and Schemes

Postby RevanFan » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:19 pm

I log in and what do I see? "6 unread notifications." SIX!!!

Seriously, though, it would be up to Roger to make these changes in his roster.
My Historic Cowboys Teams - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=240
My Cowboys Journal - http://footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3610
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a New Yorker born and raised.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Wicksell47
Rookie

Postby Wicksell47 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:48 pm

Annoying nitpick/question here for an outstanding thread, but why do the 49ers have the Redskins' offensive playbook? The Houston book seems better, or potentially the Bronco book. Mainly I'm concerned with the lack of outside zone plays in the WAS book, HOU only has a few but they're there at least (also the Houston book, while lacking a close I play with deep crosses from the WRs, seems like a better fit for the 49ers in terms of 21 sets and plays).

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:14 pm

Wicksell47 wrote:Annoying nitpick/question here for an outstanding thread, but why do the 49ers have the Redskins' offensive playbook? The Houston book seems better, or potentially the Bronco book. Mainly I'm concerned with the lack of outside zone plays in the WAS book, HOU only has a few but they're there at least (also the Houston book, while lacking a close I play with deep crosses from the WRs, seems like a better fit for the 49ers in terms of 21 sets and plays).

Part of the reason is the way I go assigning playbooks depending on the coach's background, specifically where they were from 2007 to 2011. So, for Kyle Shanahan he was the OC for the Texans in '07 to '09, then became the OC of Washington from '10 to '11. In this case, I had to make a judgement call regarding whenever I should assign the HOU book or the WAS book. Since the playbooks the FF/FI mod has are from Madden 11 (Or I think it'0s Madden 11), I decided to use the WAS book, since it SHOULD represent the WAS offense in '10. Of course, I could be wrong (the WAS book also seems to represent the McVay offense, so ...), and the HOU playbook would be better.
Who Dares Wins

Wicksell47
Rookie

Postby Wicksell47 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:38 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
Wicksell47 wrote:Annoying nitpick/question here for an outstanding thread, but why do the 49ers have the Redskins' offensive playbook? The Houston book seems better, or potentially the Bronco book. Mainly I'm concerned with the lack of outside zone plays in the WAS book, HOU only has a few but they're there at least (also the Houston book, while lacking a close I play with deep crosses from the WRs, seems like a better fit for the 49ers in terms of 21 sets and plays).

Part of the reason is the way I go assigning playbooks depending on the coach's background, specifically where they were from 2007 to 2011. So, for Kyle Shanahan he was the OC for the Texans in '07 to '09, then became the OC of Washington from '10 to '11. In this case, I had to make a judgement call regarding whenever I should assign the HOU book or the WAS book. Since the playbooks the FF/FI mod has are from Madden 11 (Or I think it'0s Madden 11), I decided to use the WAS book, since it SHOULD represent the WAS offense in '10. Of course, I could be wrong (the WAS book also seems to represent the McVay offense, so ...), and the HOU playbook would be better.

I assumed as much, but I think there's a problem with the '11 playbooks or the FF/FI mod for whatever reason has the wrong playbook. The WAS book is filled with power runs and traps, has very few bootlegs, and has no outside zone runs whatsoever. Also very few I-Formation sets. The HOU and DEN playbooks have some outside zone runs (DEN much more than HOU), and seem a lot more like what's currently run in SF. I'd say the HOU playbook is more true to form, but the DEN has a neat 21 spread set with the FB lining up as a flanker and the TE in the slot that I've been playing around with. IIRC the FF/FI mod has SF using HOU defence and offence stock for whatever that's worth.

Return to “Plays and playbooks”