Clemson are your 2016 National Champions!

achernar
Hall of Fame

Re: Clemson are your 2016 National Champions!

Postby achernar » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:49 am

BelieverInTeal wrote:
achernar wrote:in the NFL case... like AaronS says.. a FLOOR is necessary... this could turn the league even better...

Why should teams have to buy players just to reach a minimum? Imagine telling Chapé that they have to go into debt right now just to stay in the top division, even after what happened to them.

Its a different scenario... In the brazilian football (or soccer) first you need a salary and a equal share of the tv money for all the teams....

The brazilian league i think is the worst example you could use...

Sponsor

Sponsor

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:32 pm

achernar wrote:Its a different scenario... In the brazilian football (or soccer) first you need a salary and a equal share of the tv money for all the teams....

The brazilian league i think is the worst example you could use...

The clubs are not obligated to spend all of that TV money though.

If you don't like the Brazilian league example, look at the EPL. What Leicester City did last year by winning the title is such a great achievement not because of how little they spend compared to Chelsea, Arsenal, the two Manchester clubs, etc. but in spite of it. Their achievement would not be as special if, for example, Chelsea win the title but then they have to get rid of their best players or else they would be over the salary cap the next year.

achernar
Hall of Fame

Postby achernar » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:48 pm

Ok... But in the epl didn't exist a draft system...
So the money rules..

Look at the spanish league... You dont want a league of barcelona + real madrid and another one... Atl. madrid recently

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:20 pm

achernar wrote:Ok... But in the epl didn't exist a draft system...
So the money rules..

The draft is there so that teams can control costs. I don't like the draft. I would rather give teams a maximum on how much they can spend on rookies, and then allow the teams to decide which rookies and how many rookies they want to sign.

Or better, have an academy system. That way, you also have cheap, controllable talent which you can teach your style of football to, without relying on the college system.

achernar wrote:Look at the spanish league... You dont want a league of barcelona + real madrid and another one... Atl. madrid recently

I would agree that the La Liga model would not be competitive enough for American tastes, however in Europe there are multiple competitions. Even though Sevilla cannot win the league or the Champions League, they can still win the Europa League.

Ever since the Seahawks won the Super Bowl, they've lost many players like Maxwell, Irwin, Okung, Tate and Unger. Of course some of them may leave for bigger contracts without the cap, but it is also true that they have lost most of those players because they needed to stay under the cap. That's like Barca winning one title but then having to trade Iniesta, Neymar and Dani Alves for draft picks or let them leave.

achernar
Hall of Fame

Postby achernar » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:18 am

BelieverInTeal wrote:The draft is there so that teams can control costs. I don't like the draft. I would rather give teams a maximum on how much they can spend on rookies, and then allow the teams to decide which rookies and how many rookies they want to sign.

Or better, have an academy system. That way, you also have cheap, controllable talent which you can teach your style of football to, without relying on the college system.

but here, you will face the same problem of the college football... the players will go wherever they want

but I see your point...

another thing i'm forget... all this leagues cited have a relegation/promotion system..
That makes it impossible to limit the salary

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:45 am

BelieverInTeal wrote:Why should teams have to buy players just to reach a minimum? Imagine telling Chapé that they have to go into debt right now just to stay in the top division, even after what happened to them.

Why should they be able to pocket shared revenue while the rest of the League wants to win Titles?... Like the Florida Marlins did with their multiple fire sales, why should they get to capitalize on money that attributed to New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, ect.

There have been many cheap owners over the years. Bill Bidwell, Hugh Culverhouse, Mike Brown... those guys have usually been synonymous with bad (or terrible) football. Rules need to be in place to keep these guys from lining their pockets.

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:55 pm

AaronS wrote:
BelieverInTeal wrote:Why should teams have to buy players just to reach a minimum? Imagine telling Chapé that they have to go into debt right now just to stay in the top division, even after what happened to them.

Why should they be able to pocket shared revenue while the rest of the League wants to win Titles?... Like the Florida Marlins did with their multiple fire sales, why should they get to capitalize on money that attributed to New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, ect.

There have been many cheap owners over the years. Bill Bidwell, Hugh Culverhouse, Mike Brown... those guys have usually been synonymous with bad (or terrible) football. Rules need to be in place to keep these guys from lining their pockets.

If the team doesn't want to win, then the fans will stop going as they have in Miami. I'm no fan of Jeffrey Loria but his lack of investment isn't because there's no floor. It's because he's a snake.

When he was owner of the Expos, they had a deal in place to build a new stadium that would've been ready in 2002. Then at the last minute he demanded that the city pay a greater percent. This is the same guy who fired Felipe Alou, a 27 year employee, despite the fact that Alou turned down a raise to manage the Dodgers.

Being cheap hasn't stopped the Rays or the A's from being competitive. At least they were smart enough to hire guys like Andrew Friedman and Billy Beane. Loria just doesn't give a damn and he'll keep getting smaller and smaller crowds, just like what he saw happen in Montreal.

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:04 pm

achernar wrote:but here, you will face the same problem of the college football... the players will go wherever they want

Well at least in that system the players are compensated unlike in college football. Also, the clubs will receive compensation if the players choose to leave.

achernar wrote:another thing i'm forget... all this leagues cited have a relegation/promotion system..
That makes it impossible to limit the salary

Yes but there is financial fair play in Europe which allows teams to go up to €30m in debt. That is, in essence, a form of spending control although it is tied to a club's revenue.

Return to “College Football”