Best Playbooks

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Best Playbooks

Postby JSamuel » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:47 am

I love the NE Patriots playbook for offence; it has so many great run and pass plays. But on defense? The NE Patriots playbook doesn't even offer the 4-3 formation!

I'm interested to hear, what are some of your favorite playbooks for Madden 08 PC?

Best Playbooks

Sponsor

Sponsor

moonbax
MVP

Re: Best Playbooks

Postby moonbax » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:16 am

NE is a 3-4 book; 3-4 and 4-3 sets as they appear in Madden 08 are not used interchangeably by any team in the current NFL. There are some 3-4 schemes which have elements of a 4-3, and there are some 4-3 schemes which have elements of a 3-4. I'm curious why you'd prefer a 4-3.

As far as the topic, I think TB is a unique offensive book; TB contains multiple unique Empty, Trips, and Bunch sets. As many as six different Empty sets, six different Bunch or Trips sets, plus unique Slant-N-Go plays ("Sluggo") scattered throughout; I believe this was probably a Jon Gruden book. I also like the Pass Balanced and Trick Plays "generic" books as well as GB and NO, they all have some unique Bunch and Empty sets. If you like Twin TE sets you'll like SD. If you like Trips you'll like BAL. And if you like 3TE/Jumbo sets you'll like the ARI and IND offensive books.

Favorite defensive books: ARI, a hybrid 4-3 Under and 3-4 playbook; a good playbook for describing systems which use hybrid DE/OLBs and hybrid SS/ILBs. Uses more "5-2" fronts, similar to a Pete Carroll or Jack Del Rio defense; the 3-4 base set can serve as a converted 3-3-5 nickel set if an SS is placed at middle linebacker, and could also be used to describe some 3-4 Under hybrid systems if an OLB is placed at RE (more of a three-point stance DE/OLB). I also like the use of the 3-4 Over set in the "3-4" defensive playbook; 3-4 Over has a specific gap assignment that most closely resembles a 4-3 in Madden. Teams which use more 3-4 Over have more in common with 4-3 schemes, I'd say; examples of this in the NFL are the Chargers, Cardinals, Jets, and Browns. I also like books with the very versatile 1-5-5 and 1-5-5 Prowl nickel sets, which can be manipulated in numerous interesting ways; books containing both 1-5-5 nickel sets are NE, NYJ, 3-4, BAL.

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:37 am

moonbax wrote:NE is a 3-4 book; 3-4 and 4-3 sets as they appear in Madden 08 are not used interchangeably by any team in the current NFL. There are some 3-4 schemes which have elements of a 4-3, and there are some 4-3 schemes which have elements of a 3-4. I'm curious why you'd prefer a 4-3.

I actually prefer a 3-4, but I like the have access to both 3-4 and 4-3 if possible.

Thank you so much responding to this topic; you gave me much more information on playbooks than I ever hoped to figure out on my own.

moonbax
MVP

Postby moonbax » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:41 am

JSamuel wrote:
moonbax wrote:NE is a 3-4 book; 3-4 and 4-3 sets as they appear in Madden 08 are not used interchangeably by any team in the current NFL. There are some 3-4 schemes which have elements of a 4-3, and there are some 4-3 schemes which have elements of a 3-4. I'm curious why you'd prefer a 4-3.

I actually prefer a 3-4, but I like the have access to both 3-4 and 4-3 if possible.

Thank you so much responding to this topic; you gave me much more information on playbooks than I ever hoped to figure out on my own.

A realistic option for some teams is a 3-4 base with 4-2-5 nickel. Books containing both include CLE/DAL/SF/NYJ.

I have numerous topics on these playbooks on the front page of this subforum.

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:46 am

moonbax wrote:
JSamuel wrote:

A realistic option for some teams is a 3-4 base with 4-2-5 nickel. Books containing both include CLE/DAL/SF/NYJ.

I have numerous topics on these playbooks on the front page of this subforum.

Thanks man, I'll check it out.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:19 am

I love balanced OFF and balanced DEF playbooks....they have a great hodgepodge of both run and pass plays along with defense for the run or pass.....

balanced OFF has some great shotgun and singleback big, 3 wr, 5wr sets that have great and high percentage passing plays,

running is okay, nothing stellar but if you use strong and hb sprint play left/right depending on your line you can chew up 7-10 yrds per rush (also using highlight stick)....

if you really want to run/grind game and have a team like the cowboys or vikings (more AP's greatness then their o-line) then select Run-balanced and churn away....you won't have many pass plays and those that are usually have 1 wr or 3TE (like Goal line Play action pass) and aren't going to cut it when your down 10 points with 3:00 min remaining in the 4th and need a quick score lol.....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

pagjame
All-Pro

Postby pagjame » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:57 pm

I haven't taken the time to try all the playbooks or figure out how to look through them. Are there any without both the split back and trips backfield sets? I scarcely see either of those anymore in the NFL.

Theov
MVP

Postby Theov » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:16 am

Balanced D has both 3-4 and 4-3, and bear defenses. I use that one.
On offense, the pass balanced doesnt have split back, nor has it fullhouse/wishbone sets. It does have a weak I formation which has a great off counter run play.
No signature needed.

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:35 am

I use the the Steelers ... Tomlin's and Bellichick's offensive playbooks and 3-4 defense.
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

Return to “Plays and playbooks”