Redskins change their name?

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Re: Redskins change their name?

Postby NickyJ » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Moderator action: Post removed. Don't insult members.

There is a fine line that must be walked in this topic without getting personal. If anyone crosses that line from here on out, I will not hesitate to shut this down.

Sponsor

Sponsor

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:56 pm

So bob costas weighed in on the name, don't know why he would say anything other than just cover the game, but he did and here's my take on it.

How long has he been covering sports?, the nfl?... and specifically covering the redskins games? How many times has he utter that "slang" word when referring to the redskins? If he really believes on what he said on tv,... will he apologize for uttering that slang word time and time again? Will he resign his broadcasting job because he has offended people everytime he referred to the redskins?

Proof is in the pudding costas, actions speak louder than words... you should resign in protest for what you believe in.

Loxley
All-Pro

Postby Loxley » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:05 am

Well, let the drama continue, just checking some news around the league and found out that there is a meeting Tuesday between Snyder and Goodell, and, apparently, on Wednesday executives from the league will be meeting representatives of the Oneida Indian Nation. Until now it was "all-talk" with this matter but it looks like something is going to happen. If the 'Skins end up changing their name I'll feel sorry for the fans, apparently the 'business' tactics are stronger than history and well, if this is of some comfort to any Redskins fan, think that some of the oldest teams in the NFL changed their names a few times in their history (e.g. The Bears and Packers) Hopefuly it all ends in some sort of agreement but to be honest, I don't think it's that bad if we could finally leave this issue for good, it looks like every couple of years someone claims to be offended by the "Redskins" name.
Full article here: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/28/report-snyder-goodell-to-meet-tuesday-regarding-redskins-name/

Rixster67r
Hall of Fame

Postby Rixster67r » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:08 pm

This is plain and simple........the people who are offended.......want some money

Redskins
Whiteskins
Brownskins
Blackskins
Yellowskins
Greenskins
(Sorry if I left you out)

I am in this group and I am not offended........

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:11 pm

Rixter67er wrote:This is plain and simple........the people who are offended.......want some money

Redskins
Whiteskins
Brownskins
Blackskins
Yellowskins
Greenskins

This reminds me of a quote from the movie "Red Tails". (BTW, Awesome movie)

Leon "Neon" Edwards wrote: When you get upset, when you get mad, you turn red, right? When you get envoius, or sick, you turn green. When you become cowardly, you turn yellow; and ya'll got the nerve to call us colored?

lionsfan
MVP

Postby lionsfan » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:55 pm

Rixster67r wrote:This is plain and simple........the people who are offended.......want some money

Redskins
Whiteskins
Brownskins
Blackskins
Yellowskins
Greenskins

I agree.. Its only "offensive" because they will get something in return if it's changed.
If the Redskins names are changed then we might as well change the Chiefs along with them that can be offensive as well right?

Hey now that I think of it I might be offended by the name White Sox... If I sue and win I might get some big bucks for that one.

Lol I just read that Oklahoma translates to "Red People" in Choctaw. Bye Bye Oklahoma..

But in all seriousness....

If the term Redskin was so damn offensive why are we debating over this now? 93 years after the team was named? the team was named in the 1920s but now all of a sudden its a huge problem? I think this is just a case of Political Correctness.

Hell even the poll said 80% of Native Americans want to keep the name. Why are we fighting such a small percentage of people over this? This should be case closed already... Just because a small percentage of people think something is offensive doesn't mean it is... Hell if someone decided to call me a "White Sock" I may get offended... but just because I am offended does that mean the term "White Sock" should be nationally considered an "offensive" word? No. Any word can be considered offensive. Maybe people were called "Redskins" as a derogatory name but how many do you need to make it nationally considered an "offensive" term? I wouldn't say its considered offensive. Why? Because 99.9% of the world would have never even thought of it as offensive until this debate came up. I don't think of the White Sox as an offensive team name. But I guarantee if someone sued them for it a bunch of people would agree and say it's offensive. I mean obviously I am using the White Sox as an extremely stupid example but I am just trying to get my point across.

DrBrownsFan
MVP
Location: Akron, Ohio. Home of the 0-Time NCAA Champion University of Akron Zips! FEAR THE ROO!

Postby DrBrownsFan » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:22 pm

Rixster67r wrote:This is plain and simple........the people who are offended.......want some money

Redskins
Whiteskins
Brownskins
Blackskins
Yellowskins
Greenskins

As a purple-skinned alien I am extremely offended that I was left out of this list. :lol:
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I, and 4/5 trained apes, prescribe lichtental's extremely useful USEFUL LINKS thread.

*One grain of salt included in each prescription.

Loxley
All-Pro

Postby Loxley » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:29 pm

In case you are wondering, it looks like it all ended with more talks ..for now. The Oneida Indian Nation asked the league for sanctions to the Redskins, if the NFL gave them money, it looks like it wasn't enough.., and still there's no 'official word' about the petition from the NFL, or at least I haven't seen anything about that.
I respect the tradition of the Redskins, but man, if they finally changed the name we could all move on from this, there will be complaints about the Redskins name from time to time as long as they keep it

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:42 pm

Loxley wrote:In case you are wondering, it looks like it all ended with more talks ..for now. The Oneida Indian Nation asked the league for sanctions to the Redskins, if the NFL gave them money, it looks like it wasn't enough.., and still there's no 'official word' about the petition from the NFL, or at least I haven't seen anything about that.
I respect the tradition of the Redskins, but man, if they finally changed the name we could all move on from this, there will be complaints about the Redskins name from time to time as long as they keep it

Yeah, but the NFL shouldn't give in just because a minority thinks it's wrong. There should have to be an overwhelming push against it for them to change the name.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

Loxley
All-Pro

Postby Loxley » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:51 pm

You know, I wasn't going to share my opinion about this matter mainly because I don't think there's a "correct point of view" there are valid points from both sides of the debate, but I must say that if I was on Snyder shoes I'd change the name for good, I understand the tradition and I personally never tought of the Redskins as a bad brand but I think the Oneida Nation and anyone who agree with their cause should be listened, historically speaking the term "Redskin" wasn't coined as a reference to honor the native americans, it's a racial slang considered offensive by native americans and general population alike. Period. I know the Redskins weren't bad intended when they decided to name their team but honestly, why fight it? If someone feels offended by the term, even if it's a minority and results that the person has some valid reason to feel offended, why not listen? why not make a change for good? they could change the name to something like Warriors, everybody will be okay, the fans in Washington will still root for the team and probably there'll be even more fans granted the name will not be labeled as classless by the people who can't stand the term "Redskins" and the world will keep spinning. There are some things we should let go, even if it hurts

Return to “Washington Football Team”