Tom Brady's new extension

treble
Pro Bowl

Re: Tom Brady's new extension

Postby treble » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:45 am

Speaking of pay cuts, Packers tight end Jermichael Finley stated that he will not be willing to take a paycut. To me, if you have the talent and the recognition, you can demand to be paid the big bucks.

I had no issues with brees 100million dollar contract bc the team would be nowhere without him.

Sponsor

Sponsor

DarthViper3k
All-Pro

Postby DarthViper3k » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:50 am

superben21 wrote:
DarthViper3k wrote:honestly... NFL players make enough money and the good ones have enough clout that if they're not happy.. .they talk to their agent and they do what it takes to make the player happy.
Seriously.. with the money they make... if they hate their job its not like they don't have agent's and NFL Career advisers to talk to about finding them something they do like.

So.... again... no sympathy

Wait did you seriously just pull the money=happy card? :lol:

no.... pulled the money = the resources to find what makes you happy.

DarthViper3k
All-Pro

Postby DarthViper3k » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:51 am

treble wrote:I had no issues with brees 100million dollar contract bc the team would be nowhere without him.

And the team hurts b/c of the contract... it leaves less cap room to put talent around him. Watch as somebody starts bitching that he has no weapons

treble
Pro Bowl

Postby treble » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:50 am

Well, there is an article on nfl.com where drew stated that he was willing to restructure his contract for the salary cap if necessay. So we'll see how the team performs in the coming seasons. Did the contract cause this horrible 2012 season? I mean, there was the bounty thing going on, sean payton suspended, and the defense was horrible.

DarthViper3k
All-Pro

Postby DarthViper3k » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:31 am

NO Had so much going on this last season that the contract alone can't be blamed for it... I think it may have been a factor perhaps. But it'll be difficult to decide what the affects of his contract are until a couple of seasons have passed and we start seeing how well they're handling their salary cap. If it turns out that some big name players start leaving over money issues... or they start restructuring additional contracts to make cap room... then we'll see the damaged caused by such a huge deal.
If they start restructuring a lot of contracts to make cap room... the franchise might be in trouble. Most players wont agree to a restructure unless there is something in it for them.. which generally means that the contract is converting salary to signing bonus.... makes the present year and maybe next year cheaper... but makes years at the end of the contract even more expensive... meaning they'll have to release or restructure contracts again once they get to those more expensive years.

And if you read up on Brady's deal.. thats basically what they did. They took the $30mil salary he was due over the next 2 seasons... and gave him a $30mill bonus... so now instead of paying him $30mill salary the next 2 seasons.. its what $1 & $2mill? He is still getting his $30million...

Vic Ketchman with packers.com has been an editor in the NFL for 40 years and did several columns while he was with the Jags wen the cap was introduced almost entirely on the cap and contracts... past 3 off-seasons he's been giving readers like a 101 on contracts and shit....

Oh.. and I ran into that exact same situation with one of my Madden Franchises. Won a Super Bowl... gave my QB a $90m/7yr contract.... like 3 seasons later I've won another super bowl and I had to restructure my QB's contract and like 5 other contracts... just to sign my draft picks.... the following season was even worse. Ended up trading a lot of my expensive elite players for cheaper average/great players. went 8-8 that season :(

So... an example from Madden... and a guy that has talked with a lot of GMs and has seen a shit ton of contracts done to show what I mean.

DrBrownsFan
MVP
Location: Akron, Ohio. Home of the 0-Time NCAA Champion University of Akron Zips! FEAR THE ROO!

Postby DrBrownsFan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:41 am

superben21 wrote:
DarthViper3k wrote:honestly... NFL players make enough money and the good ones have enough clout that if they're not happy.. .they talk to their agent and they do what it takes to make the player happy.
Seriously.. with the money they make... if they hate their job its not like they don't have agent's and NFL Career advisers to talk to about finding them something they do like.

So.... again... no sympathy

Wait did you seriously just pull the money=happy card? :lol:

No, he pulled a "money+influence=happiness" card. Really rare, ultra-collectable lol. His point, although it is very simple and a lot more factors go into happiness, and often being famous and popular and such makes people feel like they are missing something, but generally having more money and influence will make you happier than you were without the money and fame.
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I, and 4/5 trained apes, prescribe lichtental's extremely useful USEFUL LINKS thread.

*One grain of salt included in each prescription.

treble
Pro Bowl

Postby treble » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:22 pm

Darthviper3k - Point taken :D But we can agree on letting Finley go and pick up a TE in the draft who can catch the ball? ;)

DarthViper3k
All-Pro

Postby DarthViper3k » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:17 pm

OMG... I remember his rookie season and watching a post-game locker interview and just cringing at his punk attitude. I remember telling some friends back then that Finley was just a punk and his career with GB wasn't really ever going to go anywhere.

I think his attitude is what is affecting his performance.

Return to “New England Patriots”