Valuation of players and draft picks

Temporary forum for the discussion of the Tuesday Morning project, to enhance the Madden 08 off-the-field experience.
torontogrudlies
MVP

Re: Valuation of players and draft picks

Postby torontogrudlies » Tue May 08, 2012 10:34 pm

Wouldn't rushes + pass attempts + sacks + penalties = the number of snaps?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Drizzt_13
All-Pro

Postby Drizzt_13 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:53 am

torontogrudlies wrote:Wouldn't rushes + pass attempts + sacks + penalties = the number of snaps?

Yes, but not the snaps played by a specific player. I think we can easily figure out the total number of snaps the QB was on the field for if he wasn't injured, but figuring out how many snaps the nickel corner played is harder.

torontogrudlies
MVP

Postby torontogrudlies » Sun May 13, 2012 12:47 am

I'm also working on building in a .cfg file to hold various configuration data....stuff which doesn't need to go into the Madden-type database format, and which won't regularly be changed through normal use of the app.

If there are numeric values which we're trying to get right, such as percentages and factors to fit into formulas, they would be able to be pulled from this file. Other examples would be the names of the divisions and conferences... by default will be NFC North, AFC, etc. In my custom league I have different names for my divisions so this is where I would change them.

Drizzt_13
All-Pro

Postby Drizzt_13 » Sun May 13, 2012 1:09 pm

torontogrudlies wrote:I'm also working on building in a .cfg file to hold various configuration data....stuff which doesn't need to go into the Madden-type database format, and which won't regularly be changed through normal use of the app.

If there are numeric values which we're trying to get right, such as percentages and factors to fit into formulas, they would be able to be pulled from this file. Other examples would be the names of the divisions and conferences... by default will be NFC North, AFC, etc. In my custom league I have different names for my divisions so this is where I would change them.

So you're saying we can just leave a lot of things as variables when we're writing these formulas and than have the values pulled from the .cfg

Again sorry that I haven't been able to do much lately, school ends in a week and I should be able to help out more then.

torontogrudlies
MVP

Postby torontogrudlies » Sun May 13, 2012 3:53 pm

Yeah, I'd say we would want to get something which makes sense and seems to basically fit, then if there were some numbers in a cfg file, we could adjust as we go...

Drizzt_13
All-Pro

Postby Drizzt_13 » Mon May 21, 2012 6:46 pm

I have a bunch of ideas for this once we agree on standardized settings my plan is to sim a season and plug the stats into a spread sheet. Then I'll see what correlates strongly with ovr and other areas. Is there a faster way than writing stuff down by hand and typing it in to move game stats into a spread sheet or is that the only option?

dawg317
MVP

Postby dawg317 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:26 pm

You can have the game export the game log. I believe that is either a .txt or .csv file.
"Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble." - John Madden

Drizzt_13
All-Pro

Postby Drizzt_13 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:45 pm

Is the game log only just one game, because I would prefer the entire seasons worth of stats.

torontogrudlies
MVP

Postby torontogrudlies » Mon May 21, 2012 8:48 pm

Tell me what you need and I can write an app to grab the stats. See my other post; I wrote an app which grabs a lot of this stuff and it's probably just a matter of tweaking it.

torontogrudlies
MVP

Postby torontogrudlies » Mon May 21, 2012 8:49 pm

Drizzt_13 wrote:Is the game log only just one game, because I would prefer the entire seasons worth of stats.

There is a team file which will have an entire season of stats for particular players on a team. Please post more detail about what stats we're looking for.

Return to “Tuesday Morning Manager”