Jags cut QB David Garrard

theangel&thegambler
Rookie

Postby theangel&thegambler » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:23 pm

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- David Garrard lost his starting job the same way he got it: Just days before the season opener and in stunning fashion.

The Jacksonville Jaguars released Garrard on Tuesday, making a "pure football decision" that will save the franchise $9 million in 2011.

Whether it saves coach Jack Del Rio's job remains to be seen. Team owner Wayne Weaver has said Jacksonville needs to make the playoffs for Del Rio to stick around for a 10th season.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/69369 ... ays-opener
:?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Littleware
Banned

Re: Jags cut QB David Garrard

Postby Littleware » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:18 am

maybe he'll end up in Miami. Del Rio is not a good coach and will lose his job before the season is over.

wolfbest
All-Pro

Postby wolfbest » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:00 pm

Very stupid move :x he play good games last year

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:28 pm

When I heard this I was like "WHAAAT?? :o " Why would you cut your starting QB after the preseason, a week before the season actually started? It would make sense if Garrard was cut at the beginning to middle of the preseason, but this is crazy!
Coach Jack Del Rio has apoligized for the bad timing of Garrard's release, (which I just read......).
It's Luke McCown time! Go Jacksonville!!! (more like RIP Jacksonville..... :( )
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

Littleware
Banned

Postby Littleware » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:35 pm

You would think that David was the best QB in the division since Payton is injured. You'd think Del Rio would realize this to capitalize on that fact. This could have been a great season for the Jags to run to a division title and into the playoffs. Now, 6-10 at best! Blaine may as well be the starter going in over McClown *sp*.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:28 pm

Littleware wrote:You would think that David was the best QB in the division since Payton is injured. You'd think Del Rio would realize this to capitalize on that fact. This could have been a great season for the Jags to run to a division title and into the playoffs. Now, 6-10 at best! Blaine may as well be the starter going in over McClown *sp*.

Actually, in my opinion, the QBs in that division go as follows.

1. Manning
2. Schaub
3. Garrard
4. Hasselbeck

Garrard had some good games last year, and some bad games. He is so-so. Even so, he is a million times better than McCown.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:26 pm

We'll see how good McCown really is.....*adds him to my fantasy team*
He better be good.
Garrard is better, yes, and it's too bad he's gone....but let's take a look at his potential landing places!
-Miami- Chad Henne might not be great.....but the fans hate him, and the Fins could use a chance of pace at QB.
-San Francisco- Alex Smith, in my opinion, still stinks, and Kaepernick has a ways to go before he's a full-time QB. This would be great for the 49ers, he could win the division for them.....
-Oakland- When isn't Oakland in a conversation like this? With Campbell and Pryor, it would make sense for him to land there. But I think Campbell would need to get hurt first....
-Cincinnati- Andy Dalton is OK at best, and Bruce Gradikowski is mediocre too. (even though he's a personal favorite of mine) Garrard could be good here, but for some reason I don't think the Bengals will get him.
-Washington- They have just 2 QBs (to my knowledge) on the roster. John Beck....and Rex Grossman. Garrard could start here.
Any teams I missed?

bcorby
Rookie

Postby bcorby » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:49 pm

I'm actually terrified that this move will result in Del Rio being allowed to come back in 2012, for one of two reasons:

1. Luke McCown plays some damn good football, the team wins a playoff game and Del Rio (please God, no) gets another extension.

2. The second McCown struggles, Del Rio throws Gabbert to the wolves (ready or not), then uses the, "I was breaking in a rookie quarterback," excuse to parlay 7-9 into another year with the team.

Dirk Koetter should be coaching the Jaguars. Blaine Gabbert is perfect for the type of offense Koetter runs (or at least ran at ASU, before arriving in Jacksonville to find that Del Rio wanted him to run the ball every down). I'm hopeful that Del Rio is gone at the end of the year, but somehow I fear that he'll be back next season.

slive360
Veteran

Postby slive360 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:13 am

I just hope the Raiders don't pick him up we need better WOLB, C, and possibly a CB not another QB, I love how those "experts" seem to say every QB in the world suits the Raiders....

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Postby Danchat » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:32 pm

slive360 wrote:I just hope the Raiders don't pick him up we need better WOLB, C, and possibly a CB not another QB, I love how those "experts" seem to say every QB in the world suits the Raiders....

I know what you're talking about, the Raiders are never out of a QB signing talk. But they aren't going to sign Garrard.

Return to “Jacksonville Jaguars”