Standardized Rosters Sliders and coach settings

Temporary forum for the discussion of the Tuesday Morning project, to enhance the Madden 08 off-the-field experience.
Drizzt_13
All-Pro

Postby Drizzt_13 » Mon May 21, 2012 5:47 pm

I think we will need, for the purpose of testing things, standardized rosters slider and coach pass run percentages so that we don't have huge differences between various play tests due to factors not related to the mod. I don't use alternative rosters very often but I propose to use whatever comes with the latest MadMoD unless there are issues with that I don't know about. I'm open to suggestion for sliders and as for coach settings I just use the base stuff with madden 08 but I apply the cmp66 modifiers using NZA's Madden Editor.

Feedback on this issue from people not involved in the development of TMM but who are likely to use it is incredibly valuable and would definitely be appreciated.

Sponsor

Sponsor

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Re: Standardized Rosters Sliders and coach settings

Postby NickyJ » Mon May 21, 2012 6:24 pm

The problem with standardized sliders is that not everybody's skill is the same. What may be good for some might not be as good for others. That's part of what makes sliders so hard to set up. Many people have their own skill sets that their sliders cater to. The only true way to get good sliders is through trial and error.

Drizzt_13
All-Pro

Postby Drizzt_13 » Mon May 21, 2012 6:58 pm

NickyJ wrote:The problem with standardized sliders is that not everybody's skill is the same. What may be good for some might not be as good for others. That's part of what makes sliders so hard to set up. Many people have their own skill sets that their sliders cater to. The only true way to get good sliders is through trial and error.

That's true, but it is essential that when we play test this we have standardized sliders so we can identify what is an issue with TMM manager itself and what is an anomaly caused by your sliders. If the CPU logic keeps evaluating WR's really high then we have a problem, if it does that because you have QB accuracy and WR catch set super high and your WR's tend to put up huge numbers then there isn't anything about TMM that needs to be fixed.

In addition because what our program intends to do is effected by the stats CPU players put up, and most of their games will be simmed rather than played, player skill preferences don't have that much to do with it. If you have drastically different slider settings than what we used as our default, use our default settings for CPU games and switch to your preferred ones for games you play.

I'm not looking for the definitive best sliders, I'm looking for sliders that, in a season which is mostly simmed, produces stats similar to the real NFL and are close enough to what most people use that TMM isn't drastically changed when people use other settings.

dawg317
MVP

Postby dawg317 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:25 pm

Why not just use the game's default slider settings for testing purposes? This will eliminate any deficiencies based on the sliders. After getting TMM in good working order, then work with sliders to provide the "best experience" and "best results". Personally I've never tried adjusting the sliders (except for player in and out) so I'd be relatively clueless as far as how results are adjusted by them over the course of a franchise; but I'd use "suggested" sliders for "best results/experience".
"Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble." - John Madden

Drizzt_13
All-Pro

Postby Drizzt_13 » Mon May 21, 2012 7:50 pm

dawg317 wrote:Why not just use the game's default slider settings for testing purposes? This will eliminate any deficiencies based on the sliders. After getting TMM in good working order, then work with sliders to provide the "best experience" and "best results". Personally I've never tried adjusting the sliders (except for player in and out) so I'd be relatively clueless as far as how results are adjusted by them over the course of a franchise; but I'd use "suggested" sliders for "best results/experience".

My personal experience with the default sliders is that they don't produce anything close to actual NFL stats mostly because rushing is much more successful then it should be and passing is under utilized. If I don't have my coach settings and sliders set up right I tend to get multiple 2000 yard rushers and very few 4000 yard passers.

I am open to this possibility if we get a lot more people who say they don't mess with the sliders and that turns out to be the community norm. I would prefer to use sliders that produce more nfl accurate stats from the start rather then use the default and then adjust it at the end.

torontogrudlies
MVP

Postby torontogrudlies » Mon May 21, 2012 8:44 pm

Don't know if this helps, but earlier in the year I developed a small app which would analyze a league in various stat categories, then show a comparison against NFL averages. Oddball stats were in there, such as % of blocked field goals and rushing yards after first hit. (if there were less blocked kicks than in the NFL, for example, you'd try stuff like globally reducing kickers' speed and acceleration; if the yards after hit were too high you'd reduce the Break TacKle attribute.) I also looked at how frequently runners or receivers would fumble...

But I did notice that if you just sim the games, some of these adjustments would make no difference, even after sim of entire season. My idea going forward (for my league) was to total control sim everything; ratings and sliders would then have more of an effect.

Drizzt_13
All-Pro

Postby Drizzt_13 » Mon May 21, 2012 11:17 pm

torontogrudlies wrote:Don't know if this helps, but earlier in the year I developed a small app which would analyze a league in various stat categories, then show a comparison against NFL averages. Oddball stats were in there, such as % of blocked field goals and rushing yards after first hit. (if there were less blocked kicks than in the NFL, for example, you'd try stuff like globally reducing kickers' speed and acceleration; if the yards after hit were too high you'd reduce the Break TacKle attribute.) I also looked at how frequently runners or receivers would fumble...

But I did notice that if you just sim the games, some of these adjustments would make no difference, even after sim of entire season. My idea going forward (for my league) was to total control sim everything; ratings and sliders would then have more of an effect.

Could you send me this app please it would be interesting to check to see how accurate my current slider settings are. Also I'm curious about there being a difference between the results of total control simulations and other simulations. Does this hold true even if you just tell it to finish the simulation midway through or would I have to let it run the duration of the game.

Return to “Tuesday Morning Manager”