Route Tutorial

Kyote
All-Pro

Route Tutorial

Postby Kyote » Sun May 15, 2022 7:06 am

I'm new to creating playbooks. How do you make specific routes, option etc? Do you use the in game create a playbook or an editor. Is there a tutorial for this process?

Route Tutorial

Sponsor

Sponsor

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Re: Route Tutorial

Postby MikeWest502 » Sun May 15, 2022 8:55 pm

Kyote wrote:I'm new to creating playbooks. How do you make specific routes, option etc? Do you use the in game create a playbook or an editor. Is there a tutorial for this process?

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1055&p=5187&hilit=Playbook+Help#p5187

Kyote
All-Pro

Postby Kyote » Mon May 16, 2022 12:52 am

Thanks, looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Mon May 16, 2022 10:30 am

Kyote wrote:Thanks, looks like I have a lot of reading to do.

Yep, you sure do. When I started my playbooks project, I had zero knowledge of using any of the playbook tools, zero. I was very green, but had a plan and a passion. I've spent many days searching the forum and most of the time the results came back with over 400 hits. But I read and dug to find the gems of information I needed to get started and make progress. Actually, the Playbooks Help Topic should be larger than seven pages. I found answers to my questions by searching and reading through many posts scattered across several topics.

I got stomped a few times, reached out, got no help most of the time. But there were a few members willing to point me in the right direction and gave me info I used to get pass a few hurdles. There's a wealth of information about editing playbooks here, but it's not centrally located in the help topic where it needs to be.

Don't be afraid to use the site's search feature. And you'll probably want to read the information called "Research Stuff" that's included in the 2.5 version of Packfans editor, more gems.

And if you read through those posts in the Playbook Help Topic as I did, you'll find that Solarkev is the tenured playbooks expert here on site, not me. He actually did playbooks back in 2013 using the exact same method I'm using today. Knows the way Skywalker does.

Kyote
All-Pro

Postby Kyote » Mon May 16, 2022 11:07 am

One question is not clear, do you use the create a playbook or one of the editors?

Austinmario13
Hall of Fame

Postby Austinmario13 » Mon May 16, 2022 9:24 pm

Kyote wrote:One question is not clear, do you use the create a playbook or one of the editors?

create-a-playook first, editor 2nd.

Kyote
All-Pro

Postby Kyote » Tue May 17, 2022 12:04 am

Thanks, I'll do some research and give it a try.

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Tue May 17, 2022 12:11 am

Austinmario13 wrote:
Kyote wrote:One question is not clear, do you use the create a playbook or one of the editors?

create-a-playook first, editor 2nd.

Yep, I second that. Since you're green to the editors, as RIO stated, create a small book in madden then, start using the playbook editor to make modifications and grow your knowledge base using it. Creating the base book in Madden keeps the motions/shift logic intact. One less step in the process. In Madden, you can't create playaction or option routes, jet sweep, motion.

As for me, the current book I'm working on Raiders offense, I'm only using the external editors, built from scratch. I use Alpha and 2.5 for offenses and 1.2 for defenses. I use the DB Extreme Editor to modify the data I can't acess to using the PBE's. I'm at the point where I don't need to do any portion of the books in Madden.

Kyote
All-Pro

Postby Kyote » Tue May 17, 2022 12:30 am

It's a bit confusing, but I'll read over the material. Give me something to do, not much of a TV person other than sports and the news. If I've been reading correctly, all actions; handoffs, options etc are controlled by PASL numbers?

MikeWest502
Hall of Fame

Postby MikeWest502 » Tue May 17, 2022 1:36 am

Kyote wrote:It's a bit confusing, but I'll read over the material. Give me something to do, not much of a TV person other than sports and the news. If I've been reading correctly, all actions; handoffs, options etc are controlled by PASL numbers?

What's confusing? And yes all actions are controlled by the PSAL Codes. So reading the Enumerated PSAL codes spreadsheet from that Research Stuff folder is a must to gain clearer understanding of what each does.

Most of the playbook editing information is scattered across the forum besides in the Help Topic. I really have no desire to retype whats already been stated multiple times over. Just take your time reading the materials. Learning this is a fun process, be patient. Again, the forum search is your ally, use it.

Edit: don't forget the Defensive AI Playbooks Thread to review more information your looking for.

Return to “Plays and playbooks”