New Rules for Uploading vids to YouTube to comply with COPPA

Journals for customized Madden franchises.
bluegriffon
Hall of Fame

Postby bluegriffon » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:43 pm

Does anyone else have concerns about the new rules that YouTube has in place for uploading videos due to COPPA?

Sponsor

Sponsor

RevanFan
Legend

Re: New Rules for Uploading vids to YouTube to comply with COPPA

Postby RevanFan » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:44 pm

bluegriffon wrote:Does anyone else have concerns about the new rules that YouTube has in place for uploading videos due to COPPA?

Yeah. Basically every YouTuber is terrified. Especially gamers and adults doing toy stuff. And anyone who swears.

One I follow made a public Patreon post about it.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/whelp-were-boned-31651745
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:40 pm

Can I ask for a little sit rep here? Basically what do those rules mean?
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:15 pm

jose21crisis wrote:Can I ask for a little sit rep here? Basically what do those rules mean?

The podcast I linked to above explains it a little bit. I don't know the gritty details though. A lawyer would need to explain it fully. It's very convoluted.
My Cowboys Journal

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:17 am

In a nutshell,

If you plan to make money on youtube with children videos, forget it because your videos won't be recommended and you won't get ad revenue.

If you plan to make money on YouTube without targeting children but if YouTube deems it is targeting children your channel will be terminated and the FTC could fine you 40,000 per video.

To me it sounds YouTube is trying to remove family friendly content because it's threatening ad revenue from TV broadcast companies.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:18 pm

elguapo wrote:To me it sounds YouTube is trying to remove family friendly content because it's threatening ad revenue from TV broadcast companies.

That's actually the opposite of what YouTube is intending to do, but because YouTube's usual response to any issues that arise is either "ignore it" or "throw things at a wall until something sticks", they've gone the laziest route possible, and because of that, they'll basically be screwing over almost every channel on the site.
My Cowboys Journal

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:21 pm

YouTube got caught collecting data on children. It has nothing to do with advertising to children. If advertising to children was a no no then why do stores advertise to children why do TV broadcasters run children advertisements?

Since YouTube has a live TV stream and TV stations advertise on YouTube for their family shows but YouTube has channels that potential customers dismiss because they would rather watch a yiutube creator instead. It is plain to see.

bluegriffon
Hall of Fame

Postby bluegriffon » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:20 pm

i believe the crux of the matter is how the FTC will interpret its own words.."as being appealing to children". We run sim leagues with an old video game, but with that said, we still use a video game. I know that not all of us that post journals go the route that I do with mine by posting the entire game vid. Still the FTC could see that our vids (whole games or just highlight clips) could fall in to that broad interpretation.

I for one am not making money on my content. Its more of sharing an experiment with an alternative Pro football league. If i label my videos as kid friendly I doom them to obscurity and not being found via Google. if I don't label them for children I could potentially face fines running to the Millions of dollars which i don't have. And if Youtube is complying what does that say about the other platforms out there for video sharing?

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:14 pm

My Cowboys Journal

Return to “Madden Journals”