J21C's Draft Class and UDFA Generator

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:03 pm

So what I came up here was an Excel Spreadsheet capable of generating complete draft classes, as well as UDFA classes for those that like to use practice squads. The Spreadsheet will output 256 rookies, which can then be imported into an MDC file with Excel or whatever spreadsheet program you have, and then be imported into Madden. It will also generate 256 UDFA rookies, which can then be placed into an MDC file, imported into a backup Madden Franchise to generate the UDFAs, then export it and import it into your main Franchise file.

For it to work, the spreadsheet first generates 512 Rookies. The players per position distribution is the same as Madden 08's players per position distribution. Continuing on, each player is assigned a "Projected Round" and a "Dev Rate". Those numbers are used to determine the player's "Adj. Dev Rate", which is then used to determine a player's ratings. Speed and Jumping are determined randomly based on position, as well as random deviation. Strength is determined by using the player's Body Mass Index. "Adj. Dev Rate" comes into play for the remaining Physical Ratings (Acceleration, Agility), as well as every other Skill Rating (Catching, Carrying, Pass Block, Injury, to name a few). First, the ratings are determined based on position, then a boost or penalty is given depending on the "ADR". High "ADR" players (Those players at the top of the draft, although some mid round guys can qualify) get bigger boosts, or at the very least don't get hit with a penalty. Naturally, Low "ADR" players (UDFAs and lower round guys) either get smaller boosts, or get penalties. These can be quite important. For example, a High "ADR" OL (Say, a highly rated Tackle) could come with solid AWR (60s), all around blocking ability (High 70s to low 80s, with some high 80s around too), and solid strength (90s), along with decent injury and toughness (Not an issue on linemen, but an issue on nearly every other position). Similarly, a Low "ADR" OL (Say, a UDFA Tackle), while he could be pretty good for a UDFA, he could: come with low AWR (Think 40s or even 30s), poor blocking ability (High 60s) or poor injury/toughness (Again, a red flag on other positions). With some luck, you might be able to get UDFA that outperform actual draft picks ... thing is, they are rare.

The spreadsheet is attached here. Every time you ask it to calculate (F9 in my case), it will generate a full, new batch of rookies. Just copy the whole "Output (Draft Class)" sheet into a MDC file and import it, and you should be good to go. The same with the "Output (UDFAs)" sheet, but the process is a bit longer, you do need to use RevanFan's instructions on importing UDFAs into your franchise.

This is version 4. The list of changes is:
  • Reworked some of the attributes, especially SPD for HBs, WRs, CBs and Ss
  • Reworked some of the equipment, especially visors and use of gloves.
  • Added Long Snappers to the UDFA classes after sufficient prodding from RevanFan. LB sized, decent SPD, STR and TAK, good PBK, terrible RBK.

DEs and DTs were drafted too high because of their good Acceleration and Tackling, which Madden AND MaddenAMP value a lot for the OVR calculation. To get the AI to properly draft DLs without altering their ratings, you need to:
Spoiler:
  • 1. Import the Draft Class as normal.
  • 2. Use MaddenAMP to open the franchise file and lower every Rookie LE, RE and DT's ACC and TAK by 15-20 (These values are still in testing) points. I'm not sure if NZA's Editor let's you specifically do this however.
  • 3. Do the Draft. You should have about 4-8 DLs to be drafted in the first.
  • 4. Right after the draft, manually increase every Rookie LE, RE and DT's ACC and TAK by 15-20 points, back to the default values.

But make a quick scan in the "Rookie Workout" section in Madden before making this process, as DEs and DTs might not need to be lowered now.

If you use AMP's draft, make sure to lead the StreamedData.db, otherwise AMP will crash.

As an extra, I'd recommend NZA Editor's Body Fix for the draft classes.

Finally, for this version, 256 rookie UDFAs will be generated as well. This was done for 2 reasons: a) So you can get EVEN MORE UDFAs and b) Because it is somewhat tough to export the 193 UDFAs from the earlier versions without including other dudes.

Credits to:
Cursive - About 50% of the spreadsheet comes from his M19 Draft Class Generator. Most of it is the Height, Weight, Skin Tone, as well as the generation of the Speed and Jump ratings.
LOBBS - I used his method for calculating Strength (Using BMI).
elguapo - I used part of his Roster Monster, namely the body type for players, as well as the face they'll use after being generated.
Attachments
Madden 08 Draft Class Plus UDFA Generator v4.xlsx
(3.05 MiB) Downloaded 1451 times
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Danchat
Hall of Fame

Re: J21C's Draft Class and UDFA Generator

Postby Danchat » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:03 pm

Whoa... this looks like it has a ton of work put into it! Good stuff, Jose! I am going to dig into this when I get some time on my hands, as I think this type of draft class generator is right up my alley.
Franchise Journal - Atticus Jenkins: Head Coach of the San Francisco 49ers
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2387&start=400

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:37 am

Danchat wrote:Whoa... this looks like it has a ton of work put into it! Good stuff, Jose! I am going to dig into this when I get some time on my hands, as I think this type of draft class generator is right up my alley.

Go ahead, give it a look. See if there's anything that could be improved.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:25 pm

I am very interested in trying this, especially since making UDFAs for my franchise takes freaking forever, but I'm not very familiar with the MDC file format? Wasn't there an issue with NZA where it wouldn't import the jump rating when importing an MDC file?

Also, regarding player face IDs, do you have it randomly select between all available faces? Because it always pisses me off that Madden by default only uses a select few for rookies. I always go through each player I draft and assign them a new random face based on their previously assigned skin tone.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:28 pm

jose21crisis wrote:The same with the "Output (UDFAs)" sheet, but the process is a bit longer, you do need to use RevanFan's instructions on importing UDFAs into your franchise.

Did I ever actually publish those intructions? I'm not sure I have. If I sent them to you at some point, could you forward them back to me? Or you can post them yourself in the Franchise Guides forum. Just give me credit.
My Cowboys Journal

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:54 pm

RevanFan wrote:I am very interested in trying this, especially since making UDFAs for my franchise takes freaking forever, but I'm not very familiar with the MDC file format? Wasn't there an issue with NZA where it wouldn't import the jump rating when importing an MDC file?

Also, regarding player face IDs, do you have it randomly select between all available faces? Because it always pisses me off that Madden by default only uses a select few for rookies. I always go through each player I draft and assign them a new random face based on their previously assigned skin tone.

The method that I've tried that works is keeping an MDC around (Which I get by exporting a draft class in NZA), which I open with Excel then I put the generated Draft Class/UDFAs, then re import them using NZA.

I have the spreadsheet randomly select a face based on skin tone, so that SHOULDN'T be an issue.

RevanFan wrote:Did I ever actually publish those intructions? I'm not sure I have. If I sent them to you at some point, could you forward them back to me? Or you can post them yourself in the Franchise Guides forum. Just give me credit.

I actually meant your Guide to Undrafted Rookies in Franchise Mode. But instead of directly exporting the PLAY CSV of the "Rookie Generating" franchise, first you import the MDC with the UDFAs into the "Rookie Generating" franchise. After that you just export the PLAY CSV as the instructions say and move on.
Semper fi

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:56 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
RevanFan wrote:Did I ever actually publish those intructions? I'm not sure I have. If I sent them to you at some point, could you forward them back to me? Or you can post them yourself in the Franchise Guides forum. Just give me credit.

I actually meant your Guide to Undrafted Rookies in Franchise Mode. But instead of directly exporting the PLAY CSV of the "Rookie Generating" franchise, first you import the MDC with the UDFAs into the "Rookie Generating" franchise. After that you just export the PLAY CSV as the instructions say and move on.

I completely forgot I posted that. I guess when you've been posting on the forums for... uh... 11 years, things start to blur.
My Cowboys Journal

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:01 pm

Question: Has anyone tried it and saw how it went? I'm wondering if I should do any tweaks to it.
Semper fi

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:53 pm

jose21crisis wrote:Question: Has anyone tried it and saw how it went? I'm wondering if I should do any tweaks to it.

I haven't finished my regular season yet, so I haven't had a chance. If you want, I can use a dummy franchise to test it now? What things are you potentially looking to tweak?

EDIT: One tweak I might recommend would be making all the rookies have 100 morale instead of 90. Not a big tweak, but just makes it that bit less likely that they'll decide they hate your team after one year. Also, I notice every rookie is set to 50 OVR. I assume that was done on purpose as a way of masking their actual rating? How does that affect the game?
My Cowboys Journal

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:18 am

I'm going to create a dummy franchise to test this. I'll let you know what I think of it a little later today, hopefully.
My Cowboys Journal

Return to “Draft Classes”