Favorite Board/Card/Dice Games

Anything and everything.
RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:14 am

I've recently been looking into upgrading my collection of non-RPG tabletop games, as I lack a decent variety. While I was looking for new games, I decided to think about all the games I've already played, and I came up with a list of my current top ten favorite non-RPG tabletop games. Now, I've played barely a fraction of the games out there, but these are my favorites from the ones I've played thus far.

1. Pandemic: Legacy - Season 1
2. Pandemic
3. Star Realms
4. Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures
5. Dominion
6. Ticket to Ride
7. The Resistance
8. Sushi Go Party!
9. Small World
10. Catan

I'd love to see other lists of favorite non-RPG tabletop games. Partially out of curiosity, and partially as inspiration for where to look next.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Sponsor

Sponsor

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Re: Favorite Board/Card/Dice Games

Postby AaronS » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:58 pm

Risk

/ thread :lol:

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:30 pm

AaronS wrote:Risk

Yeah... Risk. Totally don't hate every minute spent with that game. Every agonizing, endless minute.

Innovative for its time, sure, but every single mechanic has been done better by many games since.
My Cowboys Journal

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:55 pm

RevanFan wrote:

Yeah... Risk. Totally don't hate every minute spent with that game. Every agonizing, endless minute.

Innovative for its time, sure, but every single mechanic has been done better by many games since.

The agonizing pain of Risk is nothing compared with Catan. Why would anyone play Catan? Even Monopoly is better than Catan.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:14 pm

JSamuel wrote:
RevanFan wrote:

The agonizing pain of Risk is nothing compared with Catan. Why would anyone play Catan? Even Monopoly is better than Catan.

You're joking, right? While Catan is certainly not the best game out there (and I'm bad at it), Monopoly has almost no strategy, takes a ridiculously long time to play, and its only result is pissing people off. If someone wins Monopoly, it's probably because everyone else gave up and left. If someone wins Catan, it's probably because they played well.

NOTE: I'm actually not a fan of trading mechanics in games. If I were, I may have ranked Catan higher. On the other hand, I have a few games I want to try out that will likely end up kicking Catan off my top 10 once I've actually had a chance to play them. XenoShyft: Onslaught is one in particular that I'm excited to try. Libertalia and Sheriff of Nottingham as well.
My Cowboys Journal

KeepinItTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby KeepinItTeal » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:49 pm

Catan makes me want to gouge my eyes out... but that's probably not because it's a bad game but because my in-laws love to play it for hours and hours and hours. :roll:

Give me no limit Texas hold 'em all day every day.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:15 pm

KeepinItTeal wrote:Catan makes me want to gouge my eyes out... but that's probably not because it's a bad game but because my in-laws love to play it for hours and hours and hours. :roll:

Give me no limit Texas hold 'em all day every day.

If I play Catan, I'll play one game. Then I'll move onto something else. Now Star Realms, Dominion, and Pandemic are games I can play for hours and hours. And Star Realms especially is very quick to play, so you can get a lot of games in over a few hours.
My Cowboys Journal

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:35 pm

KeepinItTeal wrote:Give me no limit Texas hold 'em all day every day.

Good, old Poker then? Never gets boring.

RevanFan wrote:

Risk can still be fun ... very, very situationally, but it can be fun.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:59 am

RevanFan wrote:
JSamuel wrote:
RevanFan wrote:Yeah... Risk. Totally don't hate every minute spent with that game. Every agonizing, endless minute.

You're joking, right? While Catan is certainly not the best game out there (and I'm bad at it), Monopoly has almost no strategy, takes a ridiculously long time to play, and its only result is pissing people off. If someone wins Monopoly, it's probably because everyone else gave up and left. If someone wins Catan, it's probably because they played well.

NOTE: I'm actually not a fan of trading mechanics in games. If I were, I may have ranked Catan higher.

I find that I enjoy Monopoly, however much luck may be involved. But Catan... I hate waiting for one of my numbers to be rolled, dealing with people who keep trying to trade, saving up cards for roads, etc.

KeepinItTeal wrote:Catan makes me want to gouge my eyes out... but that's probably not because it's a bad game but because my in-laws love to play it for hours and hours and hours. :roll:

Bro, it's the same way at my family reunions!

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:29 pm

JSamuel wrote:
RevanFan wrote:
JSamuel wrote:The agonizing pain of Risk is nothing compared with Catan. Why would anyone play Catan? Even Monopoly is better than Catan.

NOTE: I'm actually not a fan of trading mechanics in games. If I were, I may have ranked Catan higher.

I find that I enjoy Monopoly, however much luck may be involved. But Catan... I hate waiting for one of my numbers to be rolled, dealing with people who keep trying to trade, saving up cards for roads, etc.

Bro, it's the same way at my family reunions!

Fair enough. I actually haven't played it in quite some time, so maybe I'm misremembering it. I was gonna play it on Steam against the AI today or tomorrow. I'll report back if I now hate it.
My Cowboys Journal

Return to “Off Topic Discussion”