Looking at getting a new computer. Madden 08 question

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Re: Looking at getting a new computer. Madden 08 question

Postby ultimatum77 » Fri May 11, 2018 10:49 pm

phalanx93 wrote:
ultimatum77 wrote:

Sometimes old laptops just need a little TLC....just look up on youtube your model and if your brave like me just open up your laptop clean out the dust fan and put some new thermal grease on the cpu and gpu. Sometimes you need to test if your hard drive read/write speed is up to par or if its too old and lost some of its speed.

I still am using a 6 year old toshiba laptop and its running fabulously just by doing system maintenance every year of cleaning the vents and thermal grates from dust and putting new thermal grease on the cpu and gpu.

just some food for thought, maybe you can save a bit of money.....

In my case, the usb ports on the left side aren't holding their connection and need to be replaced. Best case scenario, roughly $200, and this is if the USB ports are not on the main motherboard. Otherwise, more money. And even a good low-end gamimg comes in at about $600-$700. Plus all the other advantages of a new computer.

You can do it yourself for way less than that if its not on the mainboard like you said. If its just a usb controller board with a ribbon cable you can buy one for about $30 or up (depending on if USB 2 or 3.0) and then use youtube to watch a video, dismantle the laptop and replace the board.

If you like just post your brand and model number/serial number here (usually found on bottom of computer or sometimes if you remove the battery within the battery pack's holding chamber (like on hp models). I can help find a video for your laptop and possibly a part. I hate watching salvageable technology just be thrown out without giving it a second chance using a cheap part. At worst you can have this old laptop as a media center laptop......
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Sponsor

Sponsor

phalanx93
All-Pro

Postby phalanx93 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:31 pm

I've taken this computer apart before, I could not put it back together without massive help. And it didn't really get put right until we took it to a professional. Asus ROG G53jw

It's a great design, has heat exhaust ports out of the back.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Sat May 12, 2018 8:30 am

phalanx93 wrote:I've taken this computer apart before, I could not put it back together without massive help. And it didn't really get put right until we took it to a professional. Asus ROG G53jw

It's a great design, has heat exhaust ports out of the back.

If the USB is not on the motherboard itself but linked via a ribbon cable like this.... this may be all that you need....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Asus-ROG-R ... 3377648236

For $12.95 it may be worth it if you can squeeze a few more years of use from your laptop using it....

there are also tear down videos of your laptop on youtube.....it is a gaming laptop so the components may be a bit more complicated than traditional laptops but I think it could be done.....jmo.....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sat May 12, 2018 8:42 am

The worst part of working on laptops is the proprietary parts and screws. At least with a desktop almost everything uses a #2 Phillips, haha.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

phalanx93
All-Pro

Postby phalanx93 » Sat May 12, 2018 1:07 pm

RevanFan this is true, especially for this particular model. Had to get a whole set of precision screwdrivers for the tear down to add more RAM.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Sun May 13, 2018 5:06 am

RevanFan wrote:The worst part of working on laptops is the proprietary parts and screws. At least with a desktop almost everything uses a #2 Phillips, haha.

Maybe for custom gaming laptops like yours but for generic laptops like my toshiba or hp they were mostly all phillips screws with 2 different sizes...the big ones for the chassis and the small ones for the mainboard components.....

You can't lug your desktop with you out of town when you're in a hotel Revanfan :P

Return to “General Discussion”