Empty Playbooks for importing formations

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:30 am

I've been trying to make custom playbooks bigger than what the game allows (around 400 plays in 17 formations). But there was one limiting factor, in that I can't export formations from a playbook from the Gamedata.dat file, to a custom playbook created either by Madden itself, or Packfan's editor. The Playbook Merger would simply not allow that by giving errors left and right. After trying to edit the Madden created book to see if I could get the formations from the standard playbooks, I gave up and decided to look for an empty offensive playbook in the decompressed Gamedata.dat files. Good thing is, I found one. I attached it here. Using that playbook as a base, you can import formations from other vanilla playbooks using a decompressed playbook from the Gamedata.dat file. I'm using that one to work on a HUGE offensive playbook for my franchise. Hopefully anyone that wants to make an offensive playbook can find that useful.
Attachments
EmptyOffensivePlaybook.pbo
(16.49 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Sponsor

Sponsor

tonysly41
Rookie

Re: Empty Playbooks for importing formations

Postby tonysly41 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:38 pm

Hello there, bud! I have a question: when you say this way is possible to import formations from other playbooks how do you exactly do this? I'm having some trouble finishing my customized playbook, around 155, 160 plays the packfan's playbook editor just begins to crash and if I try to edit the playbook in the game madden crashes when I try to save the file. So I'm totally stuck here. Also, I can't seem to be able to make the playbook merger work. Any tips? Thank you!

JPK
Hall of Fame

Postby JPK » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:38 pm

Hi tony! The way I do it, I always start in game and add the plays/formations I want in however many different files I need. Let's call them 001, 002 and 003.

Then with the playbook merger, you can start from a blank playbook and add 001, 002 and 003 playbooks one after the other. I think you have to do it formation by formation.

If you need to edit the plays, you can either do it in game when creating the original files (001, 002, 003), or use the playbook editors before or after the merging (not sure which is better).

When creating a very large playbook, I suggest saving often because if my memory serves me right, the moment you go over the limit, the software crashes.

Also, I highly suggest using the DAT file replacer to upload your custom playbook into the game. That way, you will have access to audibles and such.

I hope this helps!

tonysly41
Rookie

Postby tonysly41 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:10 pm

Thank you so much for your help! Been able to put some of these stuff in practice, but still have some minor playbook problems.

My playbook is not crashing anymore since I'm now compressing the file, and the size is more than enough (around 180 plays, 11 formations with some basic HB and WR/TE packages) but I'm not pretty sure why some PA plays are not working as supposed to, specially on a shotgun 2RB Flex formation (or 2RB 3WR, I'm guessing it's about the same) when the fake handoff should be performed with HB2. Also, the play art is not looking as it's supposed to in a singleback bunch formation. The Slot receiver and the WR1 routes are inverted. Not pretty sure why, and not pretty sure either how to fix this.

Regarding the Playbook Merger it wasn't working because I'm using windows 7. Checking some threads here found out about the comp issues, got Virtual Box and installed Windows XP, and is now firing on all cylinders. Will try to add my playbook as a stock one on the dat file as soon as I'm satisfied enough with it. Thanks for the advice!! I'll keep working on it. :)

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:48 pm

Hey I have noticed that in Goal line if you want an extra OL in at TE it has been coming up at a DT or MLB. This is without going thru the substitutions editor in game. But you can bring in an extra OL in on the "BIG" single and I ( both weak and strong) formations.
What I did notice that in Goal line in the Subs there are OL listed ...but when you use the button at the play screen it will be a Defensive player...
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

Veteran

Postby 158.3 » Sat May 11, 2019 10:29 am

Copying from other thread to the right place here -

TeeNice wrote:
158.3 wrote:I think, i was misunderstood ...
I was having in mind the next - if you create (for example) a pattern like Shotgun 4WR and you want to put it in playbook , named Balanced Offense.
After that you save this updated playbook Balanced Offense with the pattern within... and use it in matches from Franchise Mode...
Is it possibly ?

Yes, and it's super easy to do. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=939. And after your done open franchise in NZA. Open Coaches tab. You assign books there. Save your updates go play and enjoy the results!

Sorry for the (VERY) late reply...
I would like to modify Balanced pbo, actually I want to create Flexbone and Wishbone formations and to add a few plays within them.
According this photo
there are 3 balanced pbo - 73,74,75...I want to add presumably pass plays.

How should I proceed then ?
=======================
Edit:
This explanation will be long.
To sum up, I need to edit offensive Balance playbook, embedded in game.
In order to do this,

1.I extracted file Ñ 73 from gamedata.dat (by the way it's a compressed file, but anyway);
the file's name was Gamedata.dat.filexxx or something like that;
2.I changed the extension from .filexxx to .pbo and put it in folder My Documents/Madden NFL 08/Playbooks
3.From the menu "Features" I choose Create-A-Playbook. At this point on the screen appears message for error "Unable to load playbook.This file may be damaged.Click OK to continue."
But, anyway, the playbook was loaded and could see it consist of Plays 288/75 and Sets 22/10. If I try to enter the menu "Add Plays" and then click to anyone of plays within, the game crashes...

Probably, if i could to de-compress Gamedata.dat.filexxx, which one I believe is reffering to Balanced offense pbo, then it might be modified this way...?
Why I don't want to create a new custom playbook and instead of this I want to modify an existing one ?
Any custom playbook, which you'll be creating, is limited to 75 plays and 10 Sets , which is very unsufficiently for extensive gameplay.

That's way I am leaning to edit Balance Offensive pbo (i need only to create 2 additional Formations within with max of 10 new plays), using in-game editor "Creat-A-Playbook".
I don't have installed any custom packs, editors, add-ons or whatsoever...

Is it possibly to do, what I want, in this manner (like above mentioned)... ?

P.S.
Please, if you have stock offensive Balance pbo (uncompressed), upload it for me...!

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Sun May 12, 2019 1:47 pm

158.3 wrote:Copying from other thread to the right place here -

TeeNice wrote:
158.3 wrote:I think, i was misunderstood ...
I was having in mind the next - if you create (for example) a pattern like Shotgun 4WR and you want to put it in playbook , named Balanced Offense.
After that you save this updated playbook Balanced Offense with the pattern within... and use it in matches from Franchise Mode...
Is it possibly ?

Yes, and it's super easy to do. http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/view ... f=15&t=939. And after your done open franchise in NZA. Open Coaches tab. You assign books there. Save your updates go play and enjoy the results!

I would like to modify Balanced pbo, actually I want to create Flexbone and Wishbone formations and to add a few plays within them.
According this photo

=======================
Edit:
In order to do this,

1.I extracted file Ñ 73 from gamedata.dat (by the way it's a compressed file, but anyway);
2.I changed the extension from .filexxx to .pbo and put it in folder My Documents/Madden NFL 08/Playbooks
3.From the menu "Features" I choose Create-A-Playbook. At this point on the screen appears message for error "Unable to load playbook.This file may be damaged.Click OK to continue."
But, anyway, the playbook was loaded and could see it consist of Plays 288/75 and Sets 22/10. If I try to enter the menu "Add Plays" and then click to anyone of plays within, the game crashes...

Probably, if i could to de-compress Gamedata.dat.filexxx, which one I believe is reffering to Balanced offense pbo, then it might be modified this way...?
Why I don't want to create a new custom playbook and instead of this I want to modify an existing one ?
Any custom playbook, which you'll be creating, is limited to 75 plays and 10 Sets , which is very unsufficiently for extensive gameplay.

That's way I am leaning to edit Balance Offensive pbo (i need only to create 2 additional Formations within with max of 10 new plays), using in-game editor "Creat-A-Playbook".

P.S.
Please, if you have stock offensive Balance pbo (uncompressed), upload it for me...!

You should not use the in game Playbook editor. It is way too limited in what you can edit for it to be useful. You should use "The Madden Playbook Editor", an utility you can download on this very website, along with the Playbook merger (which comes in the MadMod-X package, or on it's own in the DL section).
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

TeeNice
All-Pro

Postby TeeNice » Fri May 17, 2019 8:56 pm

jose21crisis wrote:
158.3 wrote:Copying from other thread to the right place here -

TeeNice wrote:
Yes, and it's super easy to do. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=939. And after your done open franchise in NZA. Open Coaches tab. You assign books there. Save your updates go play and enjoy the results!

According this photo

=======================
Edit:
In order to do this,

P.S.

You should not use the in game Playbook editor. It is way too limited in what you can edit for it to be useful. You should use "The Madden Playbook Editor", an utility you can download on this very website, along with the Playbook merger (which comes in the MadMod-X package, or on it's own in the DL section).

I tried to use those files, but madden crashed randomly. The only way I could do somthing similar to what you want is these steps. Not inject formations and plays into an extracted compressed book, but taking everthing out of the compressd book in madden, then building a new one and inject the new book into the gamedata!

In madden I created new book start with empty book. add formations. opened base 3-4 to start.Then made 4 custom books with the formations I wanted. Modified formations in madden with new nfl schemes like 3-3-5, 2-4-5 formation, Big Nickel and Big Dime as base formations. Opened ravens pbd and selected the Nickel and Nickel Strong. Opens steelers pdb selected 3-4 over and under formations moved SS closed to los, made cover 3 schemes saved. Opend base 3-4 book1 and merged with 2-4. Big thing on using the formations from with-in Maden is that it copies all the formations shifts too! Which are a pain to deal with in the editor! Then merged raven-steeler into the base1 big book. I imported into gamedata and assigned to teams who play 3-4. 300+ plays and 24 formations grouped 8 sets. Gives me chills when I see it in action.

I used the packfan playbook editor to edit the play call AI. Does anyone know how to make the defensive AI use playbook to match offensive personnel package sets? It seems all the editors only edit situational AI! If offense call base set, then Ai should call any 3-4 set. If offense call 5 Wr set. Ai should call any Qtr set!

Veteran

Postby 158.3 » Sat May 18, 2019 7:28 am

I have created around 25 offensive formations.
Using Madden Playbook Merger v 2.0 iam able to inject maximum 18/17 Formation Groups and 199 Plays.
Trying to add more formations gives me always crash...I don't believe this is a HUGE offensive playbook !?

What's wrong?

This guy says:
JPK wrote:When creating a very large playbook, I suggest saving often because if my memory serves me right, the moment you go over the limit, the software crashes.

He is right - the software crashes and how to save then any more formations in merger :(
I can't get it......

TeeNice
All-Pro

Postby TeeNice » Wed May 22, 2019 2:41 am

This is one of my books. As you can see 219 plays and 21 seIs! I followed the steps by in the playbook dump thread by Teoita our playbook God! Using the playbook compression feature will get you past the limits! Odd thing when I try to load the other def book 300 plays in madden PB editor, it crashes, but it's in my gamedata and plays well! But Madden 08 is limited and we're out the box! I do know the merger has issue with merging duplicate coded formations. Exampple is I formation set. Some teams have I formation, while others have I formation normal or I formation close. All 3 sets use different codes. So merging them is ok. But if you already merged I formation then try to merge a different teams' I formation, you will not be able to merge the second version of the I formation. Merger will crash!! Trial and Error
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (293.81 KiB) Viewed 3814 times

Return to “Plays and playbooks”