Realistic contracts?

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Re: Realistic contracts?

Postby jose21crisis » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:55 pm

The problem would be what happens if the player you are resigning had a contract far higher than the one you calculated. Which I'm not sure how to figure that one out.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.
And be able to improvise.

Sponsor

Sponsor

Kriegsmarine
All-Pro

Postby Kriegsmarine » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:15 pm

jose21crisis wrote:The problem would be what happens if the player you are resigning had a contract far higher than the one you calculated. Which I'm not sure how to figure that one out.

I liked your method, though. Another problem I found was that QB contracts in particular seemed very off given the discrepancy between starters and backups. I found a relatively simple solution; sorting out the 18 highest average salaries/year gave me an average of $64m/3 years. Using these figures, a 95 OVR quarterback would make $76m on a three year contract, or $139m on a five year contract.

Another thing I tried was creating different tables for Rookie and Veteran contracts, and while they may accurately reflect players closer to the average salary, they don't feel accurate for top players. Our 95 OVR quarterback from the previous example would only get $83m on a five year contract using the Veteran average, whereas a 95 OVR RB would only make roughly $3m more than his 80 OVR counterpart. One solution to this would be lowering the average overall to, say, 70.

At any rate, I'm uploading the new tables as well in case anyone wants to check them out.
Attachments
NFL Contracts2.xlsx
(17.93 KiB) Downloaded 69 times

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:39 pm

jose21crisis wrote:The problem would be what happens if the player you are resigning had a contract far higher than the one you calculated. Which I'm not sure how to figure that one out.

Using NZA, once you correctly input all the fields and signing bonus/total contract ....the salary cap will be automatically adjusted in franchise mode....

if you resign the player to like a 30 mil deal for 5 years.....within madden....just save your franchise...exit madden then start NZA and edit the franchise and the specific players contract.....then make sure to hit teh save button

for example you could go my route and go 5 mil total contract over 5yrs (1 mil each season) with optional .5mil signing bonus....the total contract would then be 5.5 mil......

then when you reload your franchise...your salary cap will auto adjust and your player will show 5.5 mil over 5 years....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Kriegsmarine
All-Pro

Postby Kriegsmarine » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:29 am

My current idea is adding a multiplier based on OVR rating in addition to the formula suggested by jose21crisis. For example, we set 80 as the average, and then add or subtract 0.1 to our multiplier for every 3 OVR in either direction. A player with 95 OVR would as such have a multiplier of 1.5 while a player with 70 OVR would have 0.7. Using jose's formula, a 95 OVR QB would look something like this:

Quarterback 95 OVR
Avg. contract: $38 488 783
Multiplier: 1.5
Desired contract length: 5 years

Code: Select all

$38 488 783 x (95/80) x 1.5 = $68 558 145

Code: Select all

$68 558 145 x ((5/3) x 1.1) = $125 689 932

This figure gets us relatively close to the top QB contracts in the NFL right now. In fact, Derek Carr's contract over five years is $125 000 000.

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:56 am

That looks great. I'm taking notes about it. I'll post a formula that contains all that a later today.
Semper fi
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Always have a plan. And a backup plan. And backups to the backup.

Kriegsmarine
All-Pro

Postby Kriegsmarine » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:36 pm

I made a calculator to figure out good contract numbers. It might not be flawless but it seems to work pretty well. The Average OVR is based on your personal judgment, though I suppose it would be possible to put together some guidelines.

To use the calculator, simply enter your player's OVR and the Average OVR (80?) for the position. Then look up the corresponding multiplier in the OVR TABLE to the left and enter the number in the calculator. Finally, add the desired length of the contract. Then all you need to do is find the position in the CONTRACT TABLE; that's your player's salary.

Here's an example using Patriots LT Nate Solder from the 2018 season of my franchise:

Spoiler:

Solder has 85 OVR which gives him a multiplier of 1,1. Using the assumed 80 OVR average and a desired contract length of 4 years, we get a contract worth $55m.

EDIT: One could obviously, as jose suggested, add other multipliers for awards and such, or maybe negative multipliers for players who are particularly injury prone.

EDIT2: Another idea I had was to have the multipliers increase exponentially to simulate how players at the very top of their position get paid disproportionate sums. DeAndre Hopkins is currently the top paid WR with $81m over five years, which is well above the $51m a 99 OVR WR would get according to the calculator.
Attachments
Madden 08 Contract Calculator.xlsx
(16.08 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Kriegsmarine wrote:I made a calculator to figure out good contract numbers. It might not be flawless but it seems to work pretty well. The Average OVR is based on your personal judgment, though I suppose it would be possible to put together some guidelines.

To use the calculator, simply enter your player's OVR and the Average OVR (80?) for the position. Then look up the corresponding multiplier in the OVR TABLE to the left and enter the number in the calculator. Finally, add the desired length of the contract. Then all you need to do is find the position in the CONTRACT TABLE; that's your player's salary.

Here's an example using Patriots LT Nate Solder from the 2018 season of my franchise:

Spoiler:

Solder has 85 OVR which gives him a multiplier of 1,1. Using the assumed 80 OVR average and a desired contract length of 4 years, we get a contract worth $55m.

EDIT: One could obviously, as jose suggested, add other multipliers for awards and such, or maybe negative multipliers for players who are particularly injury prone.

EDIT2: Another idea I had was to have the multipliers increase exponentially to simulate how players at the very top of their position get paid disproportionate sums. DeAndre Hopkins is currently the top paid WR with $81m over five years, which is well above the $51m a 99 OVR WR would get according to the calculator.

This looks great! You know, Madden's Roles increase a player's worth during trades and while the CPU signs them, I made a list with those roles here. You could use that to increase the money given to each player. So, let's say you have a 99 OVR WR who is a NFL Icon (+10%, but for purpose of contracts let's say +20%, the double) and has the Go-To Guy player weapon (These don't increase value, but let's assume that on our calculator it does, for ... say 40%, since it is a Star weapon). That $51m would become $81.6m. Close to what DeAndre Hopkins has as a salary. And Player can only get 2 roles, so this shouldn't get out of whack. Standard player weapons get +20%, Star player weapons get +40% and other roles get the double of what's mentioned, so if the role says the it increases player value by +5%, in our calculation it would be +10%, if it lower player value by -10%, in our calculation it would be -20%.
Semper fi

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:16 pm

All right, so while adding that additional multiplier to the calculator, I ran into the problem that QBs and O-Lineman would have a crap ton of money as salary. The salary of a 99 OVR QB with the NFL Icon and Franchise QB roles for 5 years is $180m. The salary for a 99 OVR LT with the NFL Icon and Road Blocker roles is $150mil. So I think the best is either use the Roles as multipliers, or use the OVRs as multipliers. I decided to use the OVRs as multipliers, aka the OVR Table. I decided to alter a bit the multiplier table as well. I will upload my modified version here.

For comparisions: I decided to compare Ben Roethlisberger's (QB) contract with the OVR Table (My modified version) and Player Roles. He is 91 OVR and his player roles are Franchise QB Weapon, Team Mentor and he's an NFL Icon. Using only the OVR Table, a 5 year contract would be $120m, using only the player roles, without duplicating the effect of the role, the same contract would be $106mil. However, using both OVR Table and Player Roles, while duplicating the effect of the roles, that contract goes up to $153m. His real contract is about $105m.

I also decided to compare Antonio Brown's (WR) contract with both OVR Table and player roles. He's 93 OVR and his player roles are Go-To Guy Weapon and NFL Icon. Using only the OVR Table, a 5 year contract would be $45m, using only player roles, the same contract would be $39m. Considering his real life contract is of about $80m, that is a great discrepancy. However, using both OVR Table and Player Roles, while duplicating the effect of the roles, that contract goes up to $72m.

I also used Cameron Heyward (Left End). Contract length is for 6 years. His OVR is 86 and player roles are Run Stopper and NFL Icon. Using only the OVR Table, a 6 year contract would be $40m. Using the player roles, this would also be $40m. Using both OVR and roles, duplicating the effect of the roles, gives $56m, which is the closest to what used to be his salary of $59m (it got reworked recently)

Finally, I used Le'Veon Bell (Halfback). Let's assume the Steelers get him back and extend his contract. His OVR is 96 and player roles are Feature Back and NFL Icon. Using only the OVR Table, a 4 year contract would be $28m. Using only the player roles, the same contract would be of about $20m. Using both would yield $45m.

All in all, I like this calculator. What I'll do is: For Defensive Lineman and WRs, I'll use both OVR and roles. For QBs, I'll use the Player Roles table. For other positions, I'll use the OVR Table.
Attachments
Madden 08 Contract Calculator.xlsx
(17.49 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Semper fi

jose21crisis
Hall of Fame

Postby jose21crisis » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:21 pm

Also, the signing bonus. What I would do is, for players that are less than 4 years on the league, signing bonus would be 10% of the salary. For players that are 4 to 8 years on the league, the bonus would be 20-25%. For players that are 8+ years on the league, the bonus would be 30-40%.
Semper fi

Kriegsmarine
All-Pro

Postby Kriegsmarine » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:14 am

Gotta say, this is shaping up really nicely.

Return to “General Discussion”