Madden with no mods crashes on penalties

Madden crashing, franchise corrupt, games won't sim? Get help here.
Governor
Rookie

Re: Madden with no mods crashes on penalties

Postby Governor » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:48 pm

I also tried NHL 09 from EA Sports and it's working fine. Also some other old games from 2009-2004 and all of them don't crashing. So I think this is unique problem.

Sponsor

Sponsor

CovertSlinky
Rookie

Postby CovertSlinky » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:25 pm

Governor wrote:I also tried NHL 09 from EA Sports and it's working fine. Also some other old games from 2009-2004 and all of them don't crashing. So I think this is unique problem.

Yep, it is unique to this game. All I have gathered so far is that it is causing an Access Violation. tried using some of the tricks I have used in the past for crashes relating to this, and I came up short. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem relates to the changes Microsoft made to DirectX9 with the Fall Creators Update. They specifically said that the biggest change made was how DirectX9 and Windows now utilize memory. And if memory serves right, Access Violations can be thrown from trying to write to unauthorized memory addresses, like the infamous Null Pointer problem caused by trying to access memory address 0 by mistake. I don't know if this can be fixed without a patch from EA, odds are they will not even bother.
"THAT SENTENCE HAD TOO MANY SYLLABLES! APOLOGIZE!" Mr. Torque

tomkatt
All-Pro

Postby tomkatt » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:30 pm

CovertSlinky wrote:
Governor wrote:I also tried NHL 09 from EA Sports and it's working fine. Also some other old games from 2009-2004 and all of them don't crashing. So I think this is unique problem.

Yep, it is unique to this game. All I have gathered so far is that it is causing an Access Violation. tried using some of the tricks I have used in the past for crashes relating to this, and I came up short. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem relates to the changes Microsoft made to DirectX9 with the Fall Creators Update. They specifically said that the biggest change made was how DirectX9 and Windows now utilize memory. And if memory serves right, Access Violations can be thrown from trying to write to unauthorized memory addresses, like the infamous Null Pointer problem caused by trying to access memory address 0 by mistake. I don't know if this can be fixed without a patch from EA, odds are they will not even bother.

Well damn. This officially leaves PC users (at least those on Windows 10) without an NFL game of any kind. EA needs to get its shit together and release a new Madden for PC or release its stranglehold on NFL licensing. There's no excuse not to today with everything running on Frostbite now.

My desktops are still running Windows 10, but I've reverted my couch gaming rig back to 8.1 for now. This fall update borked more than a few games for people, and I hope they fix it. I haven't had a single crash since reverting to Win8.1. Even on Win10 1703 I got occasional crashes, and it became unplayable on the 1709 Creators update.

I can't believe I'm considering a VM on my home lab server cluster just for Madden... I'll need a GPU for it if I go that route. And I'd prefer not spinning up a VM for something so asinine.

CovertSlinky
Rookie

Postby CovertSlinky » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:04 pm

We need everyone who has posted in this topic who have said they have this same problem, to go and fill out a support ticket with EA. I have wrote one up myself, my expectactions are pretty low, but I figure the more people who fill out a support ticket with it, the better odds we have at EA atleast looking into it and verifying if the game needs a patch job. So to everyone who has this issue, even if you went back to 1703 or another version of windows entirely, go here and fill out a ticket. If you haven't already done so anyway.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:53 am

dang this sucks.......I'm planning on upgrading to 1703 in a few days if I figure something out I will let everyone know :) as of this date all builds up to 1703 (not including 1703+) can work without crashes after installing the older support softwares and running game booster....other than that we will have to wait and see if MS addresses this memory issue....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:30 am

ultimatum77 wrote:dang this sucks.......I'm planning on upgrading to 1703 in a few days if I figure something out I will let everyone know :) as of this date all builds up to 1703 (not including 1703+) can work without crashes after installing the older support softwares and running game booster....other than that we will have to wait and see if MS addresses this memory issue....

1703 works fine. 1709 doesn't.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

CovertSlinky
Rookie

Postby CovertSlinky » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:52 am

RevanFan wrote:
ultimatum77 wrote:dang this sucks.......I'm planning on upgrading to 1703 in a few days if I figure something out I will let everyone know :) as of this date all builds up to 1703 (not including 1703+) can work without crashes after installing the older support softwares and running game booster....other than that we will have to wait and see if MS addresses this memory issue....

1703 works fine. 1709 doesn't.

That is correct. We have yet to hear from anyone who has build 1709 aka Fall Creators Update installed and can play the game without it crashing.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:45 am

Im downloading the FC update 1709 build and will be testing it in a few days....will post if I can get it to work with m08....
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

calhoupe
All-Pro

Postby calhoupe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:34 am

Don't give up hope yet on Windows 10 1709 just yet. I'm working on figuring this out and creating a work-around. Basically what's happening as others have suggested is that the Update makes lower parts of memory inaccessible to Madden. I've identified one of the codes that tries to read from one of these lower parts that's related to the penalty overlay box popping up. I'm working on finding the stat box overlays that I think is also creating problems.

Ultimately it would be better if we could figure out how to make the memory accessible again, but I can't find any information regarding this.

calhoupe
All-Pro

Postby calhoupe » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:39 pm

Go here to see post about possible fix for the 1709 Fall Creator's Update bug: http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16466&p=109368#p109368

Return to “Troubleshooting”