Making Americans into Wussies is their Goal.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Re: Making Americans into Wussies is their Goal.

Postby AaronS » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:31 pm

JSamuel wrote:People need to figure out that if they get hurt, it's their own fault. They chose to play that sport, and they need to accept the fact that they themselves are the reason for their injury. If they didn't want to get injured, they should have stayed home.

Yes, that's easy to SAY, and type.

We live in the land of frivolous law suits. Regardless of the self-assumed risk involved with football, there are still irresponsible human beings out there that can AND WILL file suit against the school districts that put on (and are ultimately responsible for) these football games.

Schools aren't being properly funded in the US as it is. Education in this country is falling behind many other developed nations. They don't need funding taken from them courtesy of damages being paid to former students and greedy parents.

.. nevermind the fact that its OUR tax dollar that would flip the bill.

JSamuel wrote:Nobody should have to ban any sport for safety reasons.

I don't want it banned.

But we're well past the point of no return regarding player safety, and there is nothing on the horizon to clean it up.

I think its grossly irresponsible to keep football as a part of publicly funded school systems.

Sponsor

Sponsor

PatrioticParty
Veteran

Postby PatrioticParty » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:00 pm

School Shouldnt have ANY Sports. They need to be affilated with something else. I dont mind college football but really sports that do anything with school is wacky... School is there to teach you basic things. Not sports.
John 3:16

Sadly,I'm not allowed to have this anymore. Why am I leaving it there? I don't know,I'm not sure. Any how, Read this instead:

MADE IN AMERICA,PROUD IN AMERICA,LIVE IN AMERICA!!!!!

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:56 pm

PatrioticParty wrote:School Shouldnt have ANY Sports. They need to be affilated with something else. I dont mind college football but really sports that do anything with school is wacky... School is there to teach you basic things. Not sports.

well said....there is too much emphasis these days on sports and not on basic arithmetic or grammar.....that's why you end up with athletes who can't speak english or do math like mike tyson or even peyton manning who uses aint and ya'll which are not grammatically correct lol. Not hating on these athletes for their accolades but the truth is the education system failed them in one way or another....

Just look at the modern NFL or NBA draft.....players all over the world including USA, europe, asia all are great athletes but they can't speak basic english for an interview....we no shoot de tree in european basketball rofl.....and yet they make millions isn't it a psychotic world we live in?!
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

AaronS
Hall of Fame

Postby AaronS » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:57 pm

PatrioticParty wrote:School Shouldnt have ANY Sports. They need to be affilated with something else. I dont mind college football but really sports that do anything with school is wacky... School is there to teach you basic things. Not sports.

Public schools do it for the same reason colleges do - $$$$

Think about how much money Texas makes off high school football. Southern California. Florida. Just the State Tournaments alone. Nevermind the weekly rivalry games.

And I've heard that March Madness, the NCAA Tournament alone, generates enough money to fund ALL collegiate athletics. So imagine how much money FOOTBALL brings in?! Think of the BILLIONS of dollars they've robbed scholarship athletes of over the last 50 years.

Collegiate sports aren't going anywhere. Even if they have to start paying their athletes.

I don't believe it will be the same story with high schools. Not the way the funding is setup.

Squeeze
Veteran

Postby Squeeze » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:37 am

I was 15 yo when I told my parents that I want to play football. They signed papers that they were aware of the risks that came with football so I could play. When I came to the them after a blow to the head with a bleeding elbow, my dad's reaction was "This is what you wanted so this is what you'll get." :lol: My dad often says that sports are good for kids because if kids are grinding on the field they can't do stupid things in their free time and end with problems. However let's not forget that besides football, sports like ice hockey, rugby and australian football have signs of CTE. But no one seems to care about that.

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:58 am

This is an EXCELLENT DISCUSSION.
People being able to express their opinions and feelings about a complex subject without being attacked, shows a mature mindset among the forum members.
Thanks.

I am afraid of the baseball.
I could not imagine being a catcher, even with all the equipment, it is a very dangerous position.
The pitcher is also very vulnerable if a rocket hits the noggin during the follow through.
And those broken flying bats, perhaps there should be a Plexiglas shield protecting the fans like in hockey?
Perhaps a ban is needed?
Or is it better to let well enough alone?
I think that you already know how I feel from the topic's title.
Allowing personal freedoms which do not cause involuntary harm to others is ALWAYS better than involuntary regulation (enforced by state violence).
GRIDIRON! The 1st physics based computer football simulation.

achernar
Hall of Fame

Postby achernar » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:59 pm

Squeeze wrote:I was 15 yo when I told my parents that I want to play football. They signed papers that they were aware of the risks that came with football so I could play. When I came to the them after a blow to the head with a bleeding elbow, my dad's reaction was "This is what you wanted so this is what you'll get." :lol: My dad often says that sports are good for kids because if kids are grinding on the field they can't do stupid things in their free time and end with problems. However let's not forget that besides football, sports like ice hockey, rugby and australian football have signs of CTE. But no one seems to care about that.

Even soccer (have CTE signs)... but no research or protocol was been created...

A concussion happen in the 2014 World Cup, and i don't see anyone talking about that
in the moment of the game...

ElementalKazzoo
All-Pro

Postby ElementalKazzoo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:49 pm

Gridiron wrote:This is an EXCELLENT DISCUSSION.
People being able to express their opinions and feelings about a complex subject without being attacked, shows a mature mindset among the forum members.
Thanks.

I am afraid of the baseball.
I could not imagine being a catcher, even with all the equipment, it is a very dangerous position.
The pitcher is also very vulnerable if a rocket hits the noggin during the follow through.
And those broken flying bats, perhaps there should be a Plexiglas shield protecting the fans like in hockey?
Perhaps a ban is needed?
Or is it better to let well enough alone?
I think that you already know how I feel from the topic's title.
Allowing personal freedoms which do not cause involuntary harm to others is ALWAYS better than involuntary regulation (enforced by state violence).

I was always scared of being a pitcher. You never know where that ball's gonna go.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:32 pm

error
]
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

Drewbaby27
Rookie

Postby Drewbaby27 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:34 am

Sorry for being a late-comer to this, and even reviving it from the dead - but it hits home on quite a few levels, so I felt compelled to respond.

First and foremost, I think this, along with most things in our society, are not as black and white as people might think. There's a whole shit-ton of gray area, where idea from both sides live intertwined, not at polar ends of each other. As a football coach, a fan of the port, and the father of a kid who plays football (Lineman, at that) with 1 nasty concussion already under his belt, I can absolutely understand both sides of why people do and don't want their kids to play football.

I am fortunate that the state and school district I live in have put an immense focus into proper fundamentals that I feel his and my 'other boys' likelihood of getting one has greatly been reduced. However, nothing will reduce it to zero. Do the risks outweigh the rewards? That's really hard to say, I don't have a magic eight ball to see 40 years into the future. I do know that the more they play, the greater the chances are they incur significant damage. I personally have no issue in postponing tackle football until 8th grade (which is what they've implemented up here). The reality is, even into 8th grade - a majority of the kids simply don't have the strength or coordination to play the game technically sound enough to tackle and block right in order to reduce injury.

The science of these injuries are just like any other science - when the light of knowledge is shed on an area not known before, it just exposes how large the dark really is on what we still don't know.I mean it should be common sense that you ram your fist into a wall enough times, you're going to develop some damage. It would be foolish to think the same thing won't happen to a brain. People who play many years playing football and have documented concussions are more likely to have CTE than people who don't. Not voodoo or fakenews, it's simple math. *However* the rub is that there's been brain studies of people who have had ZERO head injuries that have also been diagnosed with CTE.

It is also a tricky thought because the media is absolutely in cahoots with the far left in this aspect, painting football out to be the devil when SO many other sports still have head injury issues. I'm no statistician, but I'd bet a crisp $10 bill that the reason football's numbers are dwindling is due to (in one way or another) misreported news by questionable media. It's interesting, our school district had (about) a 3 to 1 ratio of volleyball head injuries to football head injuries, yet not a peep from the local paper but whenever play stops for any kind of play in football, the paper is sure to note it in the article. NCAA volleyball, soccer, and other non-football head injuries still don't get evaluated the same way that football ones do. There is definitely a bias, but doesn't mean the reason why they control football-related ones is bad or wrong.

And just to throw this in there, a school should be tasked to make a well-rounded person that will pursue their skills and talents to the best of their ability and be a contributing and positive member of our society. To say sports shouldn't be in school would be just like saying there shouldn't be the arts. Well-rounded people don't come from a limited curriculum. It's noted that exposure to BOTH the arts and sports is more beneficial that anyone exposed to only 1.

I read through these comments several times, and I think they show exactly whats wrong with America. Not the thread, mind you - but America. We really need to do what you all have done here and looked to see that our intent is pretty much the same, we just see different ways of getting there. We want young people to be challenged in life so they can handle the challenges of adulthood. We want them to explore and experience the social camaraderie that something like team sports can provide.We want our kids to be able to do whatever they want in a safe way without having to end up dealing with those decisions later in life. I think once we can agree on the positives we want and agree that our intent is for the best, we can move forward in conversation in a way that's beneficial, not detrimental to ourselves, others, or the subject at hand.

</soapbox>

Return to “High School Football”