NHL 99 on WINDOWS 7

Randall12
MVP

NHL 99 on WINDOWS 7

Postby Randall12 » Sat May 30, 2015 9:11 am

Trying to install but I guess this message of 16BIT can't run on 64x Bit Machine ? I can't even ID the Install.exe so I could select the WINDOWS 98 Mode.

I am thinking perhaps I will just have to use my much older laptop that has WINDOWS XP on it ?

NHL 99 on WINDOWS 7

Sponsor

Sponsor

Randall12
MVP

Re: NHL 99 on WINDOWS 7

Postby Randall12 » Sat May 30, 2015 6:32 pm

Installed just fine with my OLD WINDOWS XP Laptop.

Is there something I can maybe copy from my old PC and stick it in a folder on my WINDOWS 7?

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Sat May 30, 2015 9:28 pm

Randall12 wrote:Installed just fine with my OLD WINDOWS XP Laptop.

Is there something I can maybe copy from my old PC and stick it in a folder on my WINDOWS 7?

NO. 16-bit programs can not run on 64-bit Win7.
If you have Windows® 7 Professional or Ultimate then you may be able to run it in WinXP 32-bit mode.
Note that WinXP mode will not work with Win7 Home edition.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtua ... nload.aspx

Also, have you tried to run it in DOSBox?
GRIDIRON! The 1st physics based computer football simulation.

Randall12
MVP

Postby Randall12 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:25 pm

No clue what DOS Box is.

So I can't some how copy and use the INSTALLED FOLDER OF NHL99 from the computer along with DLLS from the XP Folder ? :mrgreen:

Gridiron
MVP

Postby Gridiron » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:53 pm

Randall12 wrote:No clue what DOS Box is.
And you couldn't be bothered to search to learn about it before replying??? :x
https://qrobe.it/search/?q=DOSBox&s=sbv4

If NHL99 is truly a 16-bit program, then it's probably not a Win32 application, which is why I suggested you try DOSBox. I do not know if it will work with that game, but it is worth a shot. The environment will likely require some configuration, which would require reading, comprehending, and following non trivial instructions which may not be worth it for you. It all depends on how much you really want to play it. Good luck.
Just did a little more investigation.

I see where they have NHL 97 running in DOSBox, but no mention of 98 or 99.
So it must be a Win32 game and DOSBox probably won't help here. It looks like it's just the installer that is 16-bit, and not the game. The good thing is once installed the game should run on your system.

"I have run into situations where there's a 16-Bit executable that launches the installer, but the installer itself is 32-Bit. Check the autorun.inf file to see which executable it's pointing to, and then look around the disc to see if there's a setup executable other than the one that autorun is referencing." Hopefully this is the situation and you can find a 32 bit executable to start the install. Otherwise you'll need to figure out what the installer is doing (has to be simple considering the year) and then do it manually, and it will then run on your computer.
GRIDIRON! The 1st physics based computer football simulation.

ultimatum77
Hall of Fame

Postby ultimatum77 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:52 am

Randall12 wrote:Trying to install but I guess this message of 16BIT can't run on 64x Bit Machine ? I can't even ID the Install.exe so I could select the WINDOWS 98 Mode.

I am thinking perhaps I will just have to use my much older laptop that has WINDOWS XP on it ?

Since it works on your xp laptop I would install win xp mode within windows 7 (mine-64bit) and try it out. I've run much older games such as simcopter (circa '96) which use 16 bit type graphics and the only way I got it to work without crashing was run it within windows xp mode on my W7 x64bit computer. The other option is to install a virtual machine (like oracle virtual box or the like) and if you have a win 98 disc lying around install that onto the virtual machine. Just search ehow/instructables on how to setup a virtual machine....it's super easy. :)

BTW windows xp mode is a type of virtual machine not to be confused with "windows xp compatibility mode which you get when you right click an icon and click properties).

Here it is straight from MS.....
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/wind ... -windows-7
For help running madden please consult my guide and posts from fellow users here....thanks! (link below) viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17907
I'm not on site much, so if I don't respond it's b/c I haven't checked in a while.

Return to “Other Sports Games”