Completed 1990 Roster

Here is where you can find all completed rosters from any year, ranging from fictional to real life!
ianjones
Veteran

Completed 1990 Roster

Postby ianjones » Fri May 16, 2014 9:02 am

Here is a 1990 roster that I am pretty much through with. This was an experiment, so it is probably going to be a bit different from the rosters you have already, but feel free to try it out and let me know what you think! The original roster was based off of a 1990 roster that I found on here somewhere, that was based off of Muscle Mike's 1986 roster, but was never completed. the base roster was saved in a manner that did not allow me to import it to either editor, so I had to do it all by hand which is what took me so long.

if you are wondering what the experimental part is, I felt that the average player on the default roster, as well as most rosters, is around 83-85. this means that a superstar with a 90s rating is never more than a stone's throw away from an average player, and in a franchise it seems to mean that being rated in the 90s only means that that player will have a couple more good games per season than an average player, but unless they are through the roof on the 99 scale, no one is guaranteed a pro bowl year after year. but there are players in their 50s and 60s, which is a bit further from the average rating in the opposite direction. in essence, a player can be really bad, but not really good. what I did on this roster was dumbed the average player down to about 75. I noticed that EA's basketball games do this regularly in order to make the superstars stand out more.

so while there was no strict rule on rating the players, the general idea is this: players that mostly sat the bench get 60s, players that started but never made pro bowls/all pro get 70s, players that made pro bowls get 80s, and only hall of famers get 90s. one of the most predictable drawbacks to this is that it is going to affect player roles and weapons. (kickers and punters stay in the 80s and 90s since they don't get HOF nominations no matter how good they are and FBs and TEs follow this rule more loosely, being that their pro bowl/hof nominations usually only have to do with their receiving prowess but their OVR lays heavily on blocking as well as receiving)

For the most part, I didn't really rerate the coaches so much as just renamed them, and I didn't use team playbooks, as I didn't want to go through and make out which ones had which formations. you will probably want to at least create a Run N Shoot playbook for the oilers and the lions, as they did not use FBs or TEs in 1990, and the roster reflects that. the coach sliders are a little run heavy, but in 1990, without the roughing the passer penalty, teams ran slightly more, if only to increase qb longevity haha. the aggression sliders on offense are set by a qbs completion % vs YPP and the aggression sliders on the defense are set by whether the DL or the LBs got the most sacks (teams like the chiefs and giants have higher aggression, since they sent their ROLB nearly every down, and teams like the oilers and the bears are very conservative, letting their DL suck up most of the sacks) since some FBs were still very much a part of teams' rushing offense in 1990, but its tough to get madden to call FB runs, I reordered some teams depth charts so that the FB is the 2nd string HB, so that if the 1st string HB is tired, and the CPU runs a singleback formation, the FB will be in the HB position.

as of right now, I cant find a way to rearrange the divisions or take the team total down to 28 teams without crashing the game, so much to my chagrin, the expansion teams are still in there. I dumbed them down a bit so they shouldn't be making any playoff runs. and I filled each of their rosters with 55 players and made each player's contract length appropriate in years so where their affect on the drafts will hopefully be minimized until the year they truly entered the league (for instance, all the players on the jags and panths have 4 year contracts, all the ravens have 5 year contracts, and all the Texans have 7 year contracts - which is the longest contract ive seen on the default roster).

the roster should play and sim fine, but one thing needs to be done. I don't know why it happens, but WHEN YOU START A FRANCHISE WITH THIS ROSTER, IT WILL CREATE A COPY OF MIKE DITKA IN THE BENGALS COACHING ROSTER!!! after I start a franchise, I just go in and rename him, dumb him down, and throw him into free agency to keep the bengals from having 2 head coaches.
Attachments
ians 1990.zip
(784.68 KiB) Downloaded 1083 times

Completed 1990 Roster

Sponsor

Sponsor

mikehill
All-Pro

Re: Completed 1990 Roster

Postby mikehill » Sun May 18, 2014 4:31 pm

Seems really good. Have you tested, does it work for multiple seasons?
http://www.youtube.com/user/Mikehillschannel
Bizarre music videos every Sunday

ianjones
Veteran

Postby ianjones » Mon May 19, 2014 11:13 pm

mike, no I haven't. im still gauging the in-game performance and tweaking some skin colors, jersey numbers, etc. the number of free agents is sound, I think. and I learned a hard lesson that "total contract" is not to be confused with "player salary"...so after that the contracts should be ok, if light. if the coaching anomaly was taken care of and the roster still crashes on someone after multiple seasons, my first guesses would be that its either because of the expansion team contracts not letting players retire, and causing a build up, or for the players to have age/yrs pro above the accepted parameters of the game (which I tried to mitigate a little) or because the way that both the original roster, as well as my way of dealing with players that left the nfl after only a few seasons is to dump their toughness down to about 20-40, which would create a very slight possibility that there would be too many career injuries in a season and cause havoc in the free agent pool.

if anyone gets a crash, help me out and let me know!

mikehill
All-Pro

Postby mikehill » Tue May 20, 2014 5:03 am

Simmed few seasons and currently playing. So far so god :D

ianjones
Veteran

Postby ianjones » Wed May 21, 2014 7:51 am

that's great news! im curious about your drafts. are a lot of veterans getting benched or has player progression made them all 80s again? and how are the expansion teams affecting the draft? is the CPU able to dishonor player contracts and scoop up draft picks or are they just drafting people and letting them go to free agency?

mikehill
All-Pro

Postby mikehill » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:11 am

Sorry about the late answer.
I play with default player progression so some have raised highly and lowered heavily.
Expansion teams are slowly building. When you play this it is probably smart to at least control expansion teams in the off-season.

ycleped
Hall of Fame

Postby ycleped » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:48 pm

Anyone have this? It got corrupted due to site problems.
// Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me //

ImageImage
ImageImage

ycleped
Hall of Fame

Postby ycleped » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:55 pm

Please..?
// Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for You are with me //

ImageImage
ImageImage

MajorGeneralBloz
Veteran

Postby MajorGeneralBloz » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:07 am

Please reupload... :(

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:01 pm

MajorGeneralBloz wrote:Please reupload... :(

He hasn't been on the site in two years.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Return to “Finished Rosters”