D3DX9 Shader Mod

Any ideas for mods go here!
trey31
Hall of Fame

Re: D3DX9 Shader Mod

Postby trey31 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:02 am

VirdeeMan wrote:I just don't understand how a company as big as EA couldn't even get the color of the sky correctly lol

All about them Benjamins...

To be honest it really goes back to the transition from Madden 2000 to Madden 2001. Tons of work went into it and it showed.
Spoiler:
Madden 2000
Madden 2001
It was like a whole new game and it probably cost a fortune. As a result, due to the budgeting of a major corporation, Madden 2002 through 07 were pretty much roster updates (except for some add-ons like Tony Bruno show, storylines, and Superstar mode). Madden 08 PC has tons of assets that were designed in 1999-2000 (for Madden 2001) and it shows, they couldn't even get the elbows to align on their arm textures because when they designed them (1999) on-the-fly 3D modeling design software didn't exist. But when they sat down and did the budget for 2001, they figured in the cuts to the future installments all the way up to the first 360 release; 2002 onward were all built with shoestrings and hand-me-down code.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

Sponsor

Sponsor

VirdeeMan
All-Pro

Postby VirdeeMan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:12 am

trey31 wrote:
VirdeeMan wrote:I just don't understand how a company as big as EA couldn't even get the color of the sky correctly lol

All about them Benjamins...

To be honest it really goes back to the transition from Madden 2000 to Madden 2001. Tons of work went into it and it showed.
Spoiler:
Madden 2000
Madden 2001
It was like a whole new game and it probably cost a fortune. As a result, due to the budgeting of a major corporation, Madden 2002 through 07 were pretty much roster updates (except for some add-ons like Tony Bruno show, storylines, and Superstar mode). Madden 08 PC has tons of assets that were designed in 1999-2000 (for Madden 2001) and it shows, they couldn't even get the elbows to align on their arm textures because when they designed them (1999) on-the-fly 3D modeling design software didn't exist. But when they sat down and did the budget for 2001, they figured in the cuts to the future installments all the way up to the first 360 release; 2002 onward were all built with shoestrings and hand-me-down code.

WOW Madden 01 looks EXACTLY the same as '08..... :( :( :lol: :lol: :( :(

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:19 am

Shader 31 (zero based) doesn't appear to affect any of the environment models/textures
Spoiler:
Removed
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:34 am

Ignore the last post. I overwrote the wrong shader file......

Can someone send me a copy of the vanilla Madden Shader dat???

Edit: Actually Shader 31 is definitely a player/coach/ref/sideline people shader, and definitely does not affect environment models/textures.
Spoiler:
I do need a new default Shader dat though :roll:

VirdeeMan
All-Pro

Postby VirdeeMan » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:43 am

trey31 wrote:Ignore the last post. I overwrote the wrong shader file......

Can someone send me a copy of the vanilla Madden Shader dat???

Edit: Actually Shader 31 is definitely a player/coach/ref/sideline people shader, and definitely does not affect environment models/textures.
Spoiler:
I do need a new default Shader dat though :roll:

One coming your way, check pm.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:45 am

Also of note, Shader 31 doesn't affect much of the uniform, except obviously the numbers and some of the smaller bits around the helmet and such.
Spoiler:

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:45 am

VirdeeMan wrote:One coming your way, check pm.

Thank you kind sir!

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:37 am

For anyone who remembers all the fits the default shaders were giving me on the hands in the HD Texture Mod tpf...
Spoiler:

Unintentional byproduct of shader testing; I can make the arms, hands, and fingers "less shaded" now.

cyclone2426
All-Pro

Postby cyclone2426 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:43 am

trey31 wrote:For anyone who remembers all the fits the default shaders were giving me on the hands in the HD Texture Mod tpf...
Spoiler:

Unintentional byproduct of shader testing; I can make the arms, hands, and fingers "less shaded" now.

Thats really good. I mean I understand there needs to be shadows and lighting, but it seems like EA just arbitrarily added deep shadows to stuff for no reason. They could've just as easily added more shadows to the graphic part of it instead of adding unnecessary shadows to the Shader.dat. Another one that could be toned down or removed is the shadow between the torso piece and shoulder piece in the uniform, there's a shadow along the seam that is just unnecessary.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:40 am

cyclone2426 wrote:
trey31 wrote:EDIT: why add color? Our son is yellow, not monochrome. I have seen this before in an Oblivion or Skyrim mod (IIRC) and thought it was a significant improvement to the "realism" of the screen captures.

So would/could you do a cooler set for indoor games or is it all working off the same set?

I'll upload screens after shader testing. I have to leave for a few hours later today but I will update a shader screenshot dump at some point today or tonight.

To answer your question directly, YES WE CAN!
Spoiler:

Confirmed so far: (shader #'s are all using zero-based arrays for files, per StingRay68's suggestion)
Shader #31 is for outdoor venues, it applies shading to player faces, arms, hands, jersey numbers, tiny helmet bits, chinstraps, tiny uniform bits.
Shader #32 is for outdoor venues and applies shading to jerseys, pants, and possibly other player/coach/sideline personnel models.
Shader #33 had no discernable effect, until I loaded an indoor stadium. It works similarly to #31, but applies to indoor stadiums.

Will update more later.

Return to “Mod Ideas”