Uniform Updates for PS2 NCAA games

minotauri
All-Pro

Re: Uniform Updates for PS2 NCAA games

Postby minotauri » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:43 pm

Sorry for all the amounts of roster trials im putting up.

Here's another 2015 one based on some comment feedbacks from h4wduk3n
Attachments
NCAA06 - PS2 - 2015 Test 6.zip
(769.29 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
I also go by Antdroid on other forums and places.

https://www.ncaanext.com - NCAA 06 NEXT Mod
https://discord.ncaanext.com - NCAA & Madden NEXT PS2 Discord

Sponsor

Sponsor

minotauri
All-Pro

Postby minotauri » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:14 pm

One of the mods I've been trying to work on but paused this week was a NCAA conference re-alignment mod. I have teams realigned properly with new conferences and everything. It works but freezes during Week 1 recruiting phase.

minotauri
All-Pro

Postby minotauri » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:08 am

Minor update:

Just fixed the default team ratings/overall score so it shows an accurate rating on team selection screen, not the really outdated ratings from a decade ago.
Attachments
NCAA06-PS2-Test7.zip
(777.12 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

h4wduk3n
All-Pro

Postby h4wduk3n » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:28 am

Hey guys maybe for more detailed stuff I'll post here and stop spamming the two os threads. Just to put what I'm up to in one place: playing minotauris updates on both psp ncaa 10 and ps2 ncaa 06. Last few days only had time with ppsspp. My hopes for next steps are to start a dynasty and upload weekly gameplay but am traveling next couple weeks. So I'll likely only get time with ppsspp again. But now that we have a roster update path I'm wondering if I should start spending my time back on uni editing for 06 at least. We got stuck in a few spots last time in this very thread but maybe with minotauris help we can get through. Anyway just trying to keep in touch. Way to go guys!

minotauri
All-Pro

Postby minotauri » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:46 pm

Hi,
Okay. We can talk editing here. Seems more useful here, if the PC guys can help as well with their background knowledge.
I'll recopy what I wrote on OS regarding Unis:
Uniforms: I read through most of the FootballIdiot thread a while back, and I believe it works pretty much the same way -- which is complicated. Reeshmd23 and I were thinking about looking into it but didnt get too far. I'm still up for trying to do something though. It requires the use of EA Graphics Editor to extract viv files, then most likely Console Texture Editor and a Hex Editor to find and extract out the graphics unless something easier is around or can be made.

That said, I've done most of my trials on Madden 08/12 PSP but the same file structure. The challenge for PSP perhaps is trying to figure out where things are as well. Some of the graphics are in viv format, but there are also uis_*.dat files present which is where you may typically find graphics too. So its a little weird.

One thing Reeshmd23 and I found is that you can just copy and paste some full *.viv and *.dat files from newer games to older ones. I've tried this with Madden 12 to Madden 08 for stadiums and uniforms and it worked without a hiccup. There were some things that didn't work off the bat, but required extracting and renaming and re-importing back into the viv and then replacing the file such as Field/Grass Textures and that worked too.

I had put what I think were helmets (UIS_Helmets.dat) from 10 to 07 and it didnt crash or cause any graphical weirdness, but I wasnt sure if it changed anything.

I picked up a video capture box this week and may try to use it more often as well. Its actually more painful than I thought it would be for PSP since you have to hook it up to a TV to see the game. The PSP doesnt mirror its image, it sends all video out, and unfortunately it looks crappy on a large TV so I have to use it in my office with pc monitors.

I saw a PS2 Fat and Slim at a thrift store for $39.99 but thought that was a little high. I may re-purchase a PS3 though instead if I get more interested in NCAA06 gaming since I still have a DS3 controller already and it has hdmi. I did get some non-sports games running on pcsx2 actually pretty decently on the mac running wine, but now I cant even boot up NCAA 06 past the splash screen. I get a vblank error.

minotauri
All-Pro

Postby minotauri » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:34 am

I started working on a conversion tool for the NCAA coach/team profiles. I've tested some changes here and there and it shows up in the game. VolWalker is going to work on getting the appropriate playbooks to the associated teams using what's in NCAA 06 now. This file would only work by injecting it into an existing dynasty save though. We may be able to edit the template dat file on the disc to get it working by default but I've had very hit or miss luck on editing that file for PSP and havent tried on PS2 yet.

Harry97
All-Pro

Postby Harry97 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:54 pm

Conference re-alignment goes hand and hand with rosters. After the 2010 season is when major conference re-alignment really started. It seems that starting a new dynasty, saving it at the beginning and then editing the dynasty seems to be easier than trying to edit stuff globally but if you have any luck with that then please let us know how you did it. I had tried editing conferences globally for example (outside of dynasty) but couldn't find anything and I think just ending up getting frustrated trying to do it that way. If you take a 2015 or 2016 roster into a new dynasty, then a lot of stuff will have to be edited in that dynasty to make it like 2016 instead of 2005. It all would have to be done manually. To make current conferences in a dynasty, the teams would have to be moved into different conferences and every game of the season will have to be rescheduled one-by-one. This should be doable but it would require a lot of man hours to be done successfully in a dynasty.

Now that we are into 2016, it might be a good idea to create an updated 2016 PS2 roster for NCAA 06 for the current season. If that can be done by converting a PS3 roster, then editing it from there fixing any issues, that might be the fastest way. minotauri I think you know a lot about that conversion process. I wasn’t sure if converting a PS3 NCAA roster to PS2 NCAA would even be possible. Though some of the fields are the same, the values (like for player apperance) could represent different options in-game in the PS3 game compared to PS2. This I think is the difficulty trying to convert a PS3 roster and could explain the player appearances issues I seen when I tested your 2015 roster. The player appearance issues I am referring to are more than just players having the wrong appearances, I have observed glitches of the player models during the game that did not occur on regular PS2 rosters. If you cannot run the game yet then I can test rosters for you if you need me to. I highly encourage trying to iron out these details from a converted PS3 NCAA roster to PS2 I am just giving you my observations when I tried your roster.

One of the reasons why I have been holding off on getting more into dynasty is because of how important uniforms are to a custom dynasty. As it stands, even if we moved teams around into different conferences in dynasty, I'm pretty sure the uniforms will still have their 2005 conference logos on them (in gameplay) and there will still be 2005 logos on the field (in stadiums). So we really need to learn more about uniform and logo editing if we are going to have any custom 2016 conferences we do in dynasty appear in gameplay. That's why I'm still hard work on uniform editing and why dynasty research has been on the backburner. Now with new rosters though I’m more interested in getting more into Dynasty.

h4wduk3n I don’t know how we’re going to get it to work in the .DAT if we can’t adjust file size or compress it back to be small enough to fit into the slot. The .DAT is programmed to only accept a specific file size for each slot right. The other hurdle to this is actually editing an NCAA formatted stock uni file which is exceedingly difficult since as far as I know there aren’t any tools that edit these files. With all this talk about rosters and dynasty, it makes editing uniforms even more of a priority to getting the fully updated dynasty experience we all want. If we can’t edit uniforms, switch conference logos, or switch logos on the field in stadiums, then updating dynasty will only get us so far. I had a look around dynasty to try to see if I could edit uniforms from within dynasty, (like editing a dynasty save file) thus far I haven’t found anything like that related to uniforms. Until someone finds a way to edit uniforms another way, like inside a dynasty, we’re likely going to have to try to get the .DAT to accept larger files since we have no way to compress the .uni files.

After reading minotauri’s comments about trying to put full DATs like UNIFORM.DAT from other games into NCAA 06, well I did try doing that and it didn’t work, at least in the games I tested. FYI it crashed in game when I put a later game’s full STADIUMS.DAT, STADATA.DAT etc into NCAA 06 likely because the .DAT from the later NCAA game had more slots than the one from NCAA 06. After taking at STADIUMS.DAT in DFR, it appears that this .DAT works the same as UNIFORM.DAT. (with compressed files) If we are going to edit Field Art, Stadium Art, Uniforms, or anything like that, I think we’re going to have to figure out how to get custom files into those DATs that have compressed files. like UNIFORM.DAT.

The primary focus of this topic is to update uniforms in NCAA PS2. Any way that can be done I’m all for. I know there are a lot of other aspects of NCAA PS2 modding worth exploring, like dynasty, especially now that we have rosters. I do want to work on that stuff, but the uniforms remain my primary goal right now, as I think that combined with rosters will make the game really feel updated.

It is great that we have found so many people interested in updating NCAA on PS2 especially NCAA 06. Getting other game’s rosters in NCAA 06 is really a dream come true. I am trying not to get too excited about the roster stuff knowing that we still need to figure out uniforms. All is does is motivate me to really work even harder at this. I knew when I created this that people really didn't know what could be done in modding NCAA PS2. (including myself) I knew there was a crossover to the Madden 08 PC community after taking a look at the files in NCAA PS2. If anyone wants to work with me on the uni stuff in depth, just post your ideas or message me and we can try to work out how to do this.

minotauri
All-Pro

Postby minotauri » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:06 pm

Uniform/Graphics:

I'll try to help out on uniforms as much as I can. I'm limited in that I work on a Mac and many of the tools are windows based so somethings dont just work properly for me. I have an XP setup in a virtual box so that helps but it's outdated, and I just dont have the spare HDD space to install a newer OS like Win7/10. Vista just doesnt work right on VBox for some reason. I'm definitely interested though, even if I don't pick up a PS2 because cracking how to do it on PS2 is also going to more than likely crack it on PSP. I'm definitely gaining more interest in PS2 though. I've been bargain hunting a PS2 Slim or PS3 20/60gb BC to use.

There really isnt anything in the dynasty save that'll help you with graphics. It's mostly just a bunch of db tables and numbers. That said, there are uniform db's in there I believe but it just points to the file number you want if I remember correctly.

edited: when I tried stadiums from 10 to 07 PSP it causes serious graphical issues. it worked for uniforms for me, see next post.

Dynasty/Roster Mods
As far as conf realignment goes, the link I sent is dead. I changed my website address a bit over the weekend. I put up a video of where I got here: http://www.antdroid.net/2016/01/ncaa-20 ... -test.html

Basically, I got everything aligned right, but it crashes during simulation, surprisingly during recruiting phase and not game sims.

I'm still trying to track down why this is happening but I paused to work more on Madden this past week.

Rosters: The team that allowed me to use their 2015 rosters are currently working on their 2016 version now. I am still trying to iron out the bugs of course, but I think the PSP version is mostly free now. The PS2 and PSP now currently share the exact same data. The issue here is that the PS2 has more graphical options in it so accessories and things may look off and that's where I would need community help until I get my own console setup. h4wkduk3n has helped a bit here thanks!

As far as putting together a more complete mod that is easily sharable, yes, we will have to work off of a ready-to-go dynasty save. That's the bad news. The good news is that within the Team db in the dynasty save, there's a column that let's you choose who the user coach is by flipping a 0 to a 1. So creating something like that isn't as crappy as it seems, but there's no way I'm aware of editing the user team in the game, so it would require a bit of non-novice editing to get the save properly ready to go. Of course, we can create a tool to make that step a little less complicated.

So, I'll take a look again at what's been posted already in the past to catch myself back up and see what hasnt been looked at.

minotauri
All-Pro

Postby minotauri » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:31 pm

Here's an example of what I was saying about being able to replace the Uniform and Helmet files from another game. In this case, I took NCAA 10 's Uniforms.viv and uis_helmets.dat and put it in NCAA 07.

I'll try if I can do something like this for NCAA 11->06 or something on PS2. I think I still have my NCAA 11 PS2 copy in my garage.

NCAA 07 Unmodded
Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 7.27.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 7.27.47 PM.png (979.37 KiB) Viewed 2479 times

NCAA 07 Modded
Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 7.24.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 7.24.22 PM.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 2479 times

Another example

Before - Miss St White

After - Miss St Red

h4wduk3n
All-Pro

Postby h4wduk3n » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:08 am

Very nice work. I've been playing your PSP NCAA 10 update on my phone lol and got used to touch controls. 07 plays slower in ppsspp but I prefer the gameplay there. However autzen and many other stadiums stink in 07 PSP.
Regarding unis and rosters ultimately I'd prefer NCAA 06 ps2 modded w rosters, unis, and if possible conferences. Regarding that, iirc, the unis for ps2 research was done with using madden PC mod tools. We extracted specific files out of uniforms dat and then made madden pc try to load them by injecting them into a hacked uniform dat. We were then able to use the muer tool to extract some of the gfx IE get around compression. I also tried to simply swap one file w another in the dat . You then pad w 0s and this way we swapped a few teams unis with other teams unis. Changing file sizes in the dat or trying to add files to the dat always crashed. My theory was that we needed to update additional tables in some dat some place but was fearing sizes and offsets being compiled directly into the executable. But if the pcsx2 guys can patch one dword to fix NFL 2k games crashing then maybe we can do something too if someone learns to debug w the emulator...
I'm interested in your psp work for NCAA and madden as well since it allows me to play on the go but I think the hot target for many of us is ps2 06. That said, I'll still test and try to help w psp if that's your passion.
BTW, nice job w the huskies ducks screen ;)
A shining example that we don't have to hate each other quite ALL the time haha.

Return to “Other Football Games”