Kickoff at 35

A place for all old random modding threads.
Also, feel free to ask any questions here!
calhoupe
All-Pro

Kickoff at 35

Postby calhoupe » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:16 pm

This is a little hack that moves the kickoff to the 35 yard line. Just another example of what Cheat Engine can do.

Edit: Updated to 1.1; kickoffs out of bounds will now be put at the 40 yard line as per NFL rules.

Kickoff at 35

Sponsor

Sponsor

slydways
Banned
Location: Alliance,Ohio ........Home of the MOUNT UNION PURPLE RAIDERS 11 Division III National Championships

Re: Kickoff at 35

Postby slydways » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:49 pm

Tried it on win7 64bit...didn't work...did I miss something? ( no instructions )

calhoupe
All-Pro

Postby calhoupe » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:28 pm

Did you activate the hotkey by pressing Ctrl+K? You will hear a beep and if you alt-tab out of Madden you will see that the hotkey has turned red. I just tried it on two machines (both Windows 7 64 bit) and it worked perfectly.
Edit: In practice mode it will only work on the kickoff immediately following the play selection screen. After that the game just keeps doing kickoffs without going to the play selection screen. The script is triggered by the play selection screen to move the kickoff to the 35.

slydways
Banned
Location: Alliance,Ohio ........Home of the MOUNT UNION PURPLE RAIDERS 11 Division III National Championships

Postby slydways » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:04 pm

No ...didn't know that...thanks for the info ;)

torontogrudlies
MVP

Postby torontogrudlies » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:30 pm

Any thoughts on coming up with a procedure to emulate the newer overtime rules? Like, maybe when the first field goal is kicked, resetting the score so the game still thinks it's tied?

calhoupe
All-Pro

Postby calhoupe » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:08 pm

Any thoughts on coming up with a procedure to emulate the newer overtime rules? Like, maybe when the first field goal is kicked, resetting the score so the game still thinks it's tied?

Goodness! That would be tough to implement properly although your idea of confusing the game is often the kind of workaround that one needs to do to get some of these hacks to work.

I'll take a look into it but it may be beyond my abilities. If you can think of some other rule changes or things you want changed feel free to post.

DrBrownsFan
MVP
Location: Akron, Ohio. Home of the 0-Time NCAA Champion University of Akron Zips! FEAR THE ROO!

Postby DrBrownsFan » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:10 pm

torontogrudlies wrote:Any thoughts on coming up with a procedure to emulate the newer overtime rules? Like, maybe when the first field goal is kicked, resetting the score so the game still thinks it's tied?

Off-topic, but it's nice to see you around the forums more lately Dave. :)

On-topic, wouldn't something like you suggested just cause the next field goal (which should tie the game) to win the game? Unless we could temporarily add three from the defending team or just make it so the game doesn't end after an OT score, I don't think we could do that. Especially since the game probably doesn't distinguish between an OT score and a regulation score, I would think it just takes the score after every play and queries if Team A's points are equal to Team B's. If false and the game is in OT, then the game is over and the team with the higher point value wins.

An easy way to find what variable controls the score might be to go into a situation-mode game with a certain score, then go into the same situation with the same teams with a different score.
I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I, and 4/5 trained apes, prescribe lichtental's extremely useful USEFUL LINKS thread.

*One grain of salt included in each prescription.

calhoupe
All-Pro

Postby calhoupe » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:20 am

OK, I've posted a New OT Rules in Customization.

Especially since the game probably doesn't distinguish between an OT score and a regulation score, I would think it just takes the score after every play and queries if Team A's points are equal to Team B's. If false and the game is in OT, then the game is over and the team with the higher point value wins.

Pretty good guess. Actually Madden runs a code to check this point differential only in OT. Once I found that code I was able to inject my own code around it that took into account the several possibilities of the new rules. It was a bit tricky to code and I'm sure someone will find some exception that I haven't accounted for.

BelieverInTeal
Hall of Fame

Postby BelieverInTeal » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:02 am

Good work on the kickoff hack, calhoupe. I noticed though that if the kickoff goes out of bounds, the ball is placed at the 35 yard line. If there is a touchback, however, the ball is still at the 20.

I wonder why that might be.

calhoupe
All-Pro

Postby calhoupe » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:26 pm

Thanks for the info: I know exactly why. The Madden code stupidly makes the kicking out-of-bounds penalty a yardage issue (30 yard penalty) instead of just a ball placement issue whereas touchbacks always go to the 20 yard line. I will attempt to fix this and upload a new version.

Return to “Archive + Q&A”