How to - Editing and Importing Portraits

Modifying Madden 08.
trey31
Hall of Fame

Re: How to - Editing and Importing Portraits

Postby trey31 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:23 pm

NickyJ wrote:Always happy to help. :mrgreen:

Truth be told, I had the same reaction a couple of years ago after a reformat and reinstall, and spent more time than I should have trying to fix how it looked in the dat editor. I thought I was the only who took a while to test it ingame lol

I actually screwed up the SHADERDAT.dat I was testing the other day. Loaded the experimental dds shaders from a different folder into the dat and continued working on other things. When I finally loaded it in-game I was shocked to see what looked like a Sgt. Pepper LSD-fueled nightmare. Rainbow technicolor shading everywhere I looked :o :shock: :?
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

Sponsor

Sponsor

bluegriffon
Hall of Fame

Postby bluegriffon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:24 pm

question. I want to use pics of the players in my UCFL roster. this roster combines elements from the GHT 1.5 roster (58baltimore colts, 66 green bay packers, 67oakland raiders, 73cincinnati bengals, and 87new orleans saints) and the FF-FI XVI mod..(2016 Minnesota Vikings, Baltimore Ravens, and Buffalo Bills), the rest of the league is made up from WFL teams, WLAF teams, USFL teams and XFL teams. i was able to find pics for the XFL and WFL teams and i am make slow work on finding pics for the USFL and WLAF.

the question is..do the player ids and photo ids need to match or can i extract the images from the UIS_LIB_PLAYER_PORT.dat and just put in the pics i want and recompile the images to mmap and redo that dat using DFR4

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:32 pm

You sort of lost me at the end with the recompiling of the images to mmap, but to answer your question as best I can, the player IDs and portrait IDs don't need to match. So if you want to use some of the teams from a 2016 roster along with its portrait pack, then that should be easy enough. Export the teams to your new roster, and the portrait IDs should stay the same. Or do it the other way around, and export the historical teams to the 2016 roster. Whatever happens to the player IDs is irrelevant as far as portraits go.

bluegriffon
Hall of Fame

Postby bluegriffon » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:31 pm

i figured things out. but I did come across or am having this issue.
the transparency layer isn't converting with my dds files after i load them into the Playerphoto dat with Stingrays editor. (See image)

Top of the photo shows the image of Lorenzo Alexander with the transparency layer and the bottom shows that same photo as it loaded into Stingrays Dat editor. What am i missing or not doing right?

cyclone2426
All-Pro

Postby cyclone2426 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:33 pm

bluegriffon wrote:i figured things out. but I did come across or am having this issue.
the transparency layer isn't converting with my dds files after i load them into the Playerphoto dat with Stingrays editor. (See image)

Top of the photo shows the image of Lorenzo Alexander with the transparency layer and the bottom shows that same photo as it loaded into Stingrays Dat editor. What am i missing or not doing right?

DEX doesnt show transparency, whether it has it or not.

bluegriffon
Hall of Fame

Postby bluegriffon » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:23 pm

unfortunately the background appears in game

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:46 am

Did you make sure to save it with the same settings as the DDS tool picture in the OP? If that still causes you trouble, try remaking the portrait from scratch. Sometimes a setting gets changed somehow and messes with picture the rest of the way. And if THAT doesn't work, open your unedited portrait in MS Paint, save it as a jpg, and start over with that. The transparency will be gone, but so will any strange settings that are laced into the photo too.

bluegriffon
Hall of Fame

Postby bluegriffon » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:13 pm

I am not a graphic artist, so i am trying to follow the instructions in the OP to the best of my abilities. Alot of my pics are from defunct leagues and teams so the images are not from gettyimages but from what i can find out in the interweb

ApexPredator_tK
Rookie

Postby ApexPredator_tK » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:33 pm

Hey, I'm having trouble importing any graphic IDs above 2057. I can import images into IDs 1-2057 just fine. But crashes when I try to import anything above it crashes. I'm using 2017-2018 ROGERJINX HD PORTRAITS as a base. I tried expanding the DAT but the problem still persists. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
MUT 18.jpg
MUT 18.jpg (272.44 KiB) Viewed 8364 times

NickyJ
Hall of Fame

Postby NickyJ » Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:11 pm

I think it's related to how rogerjinx's portrait pack is expanded. 2057 was the original limit that Madden put in the game, but eventually ways were made to expand the dats to fit more portraits in. One way is through StingRay's Dat Editor in first post of this thread. I'll guess that roger's was made differently since all the files in the expanded part (2058 and beyond) say "Abnormal" instead of the usual "File #00000 512x512 256 Color" or "192x192 256 Color".

There's only one way around it that I know of, and that's to expand the portrait pack using the StingRay's Dat Editor. Find the last file in the portrait pack, go to there, expand by however many you want, and then you'll be able to import over your own expansion. I would also have suggested using DatFileReplacer from MadMod-X, but I tried that just now and the game crashed as soon as I looked at the player whose portrait I imported.

It's always bugged me how that portrait pack doesn't import like other ones. I'll experiment with it and see if I can come up with anything, but in the meantime, you'll either have to expand the portrait pack for your new portraits or check with rogerjinx and see if he has any ideas.

Return to “Modding”