So the Giants traded Beckham....

Re: Modding Fundamentals

Sponsor

Sponsor

lichtental
MVP

Postby lichtental » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:39 am

Hi elguapo, finaly got time to watch your uniform video, thanks for the lesson (for me is also a way to practice my understanding of english language :D )

Questions about inserting numbers (the creation parts needs more studying :? ), if I understood well you start importing the "0" for all the 3 palettes, then for numbers "1" to "8" only one inserting is enough (I think because of the sharing of the palettes) and then you insert the hex edited "9" for all the 3 palettes (creating the trasparency for all the numbers), is it right ?

Also in this thread you wrote:

"I have an update. when you create the layer and set the opacity to 1%, set it to 0% instead and you won't need to hex edit the dds file.
I believe that in photoshop the layer order matters so that's why i put the transparent layer on the bottom. On the sample above the image was already 16 colors so when i saved in 256 + alpha dds file, it was easy to see the alpha were not set to full opacity like it use to do before
This is why i believe an entire uniform can be created using dds files without hex editing any dds files. Uniforms can now be made faster than before. The numbers are still a pain but it still faster than before."

So is it possible, using this method, to have the trasparency for the numbers without hex editing ?

I reserve the right to do more questions :)

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:52 pm

lichtental wrote:Hi elguapo, finaly got time to watch your uniform video, thanks for the lesson (for me is also a way to practice my understanding of english language :D )

Doing the videos also helps me with my English ;)

lichtental wrote:Questions about inserting numbers (the creation parts needs more studying :? ), if I understood well you start importing the "0" for all the 3 palettes, then for numbers "1" to "8" only one inserting is enough (I think because of the sharing of the palettes) and then you insert the hex edited "9" for all the 3 palettes (creating the trasparency for all the numbers), is it right ?

Also in this thread you wrote:

"I have an update. when you create the layer and set the opacity to 1%, set it to 0% instead and you won't need to hex edit the dds file.
I believe that in photoshop the layer order matters so that's why i put the transparent layer on the bottom. On the sample above the image was already 16 colors so when i saved in 256 + alpha dds file, it was easy to see the alpha were not set to full opacity like it use to do before
This is why i believe an entire uniform can be created using dds files without hex editing any dds files. Uniforms can now be made faster than before. The numbers are still a pain but it still faster than before."

So is it possible, using this method, to have the trasparency for the numbers without hex editing ?

That is correct, "0"s in palettes 0-2 first, then 1-8 once and then the hex edited "9" in palettes 0-2. This is what i think is going on; when you insert the 8-bit(256 colors) in palettes 0-2, the palette is increased from 4-bit(16 colors) to 8-bit(256 colors) plus the image and the palette are being updated. That's "0"s; Numbers 1-8 the image and the palette are being updated; hex number "9" the image and the palette are being updated.

What's the differnce you ask? Well instead of having to hex edit all the numbers, you only hex edit one number and that updates the palette for that set. (hope that makes sense)
What about hex editing? Using DDS files will require to hex edit the file. :( (gotta take it to the next level 8-))

lichtental wrote:I reserve the right to do more questions :)

Fair enough.

I'm also planning on doing an alternate way of doing the numbers... stay tuned. (yes...hex editing will still be involved)

Rixster67r
Hall of Fame

Postby Rixster67r » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:20 am

I think that hex editing way......might be easier?

lichtental
MVP

Postby lichtental » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:29 am

elguapo wrote:What's the differnce you ask? Well instead of having to hex edit all the numbers, you only hex edit one number and that updates the palette for that set. (hope that makes sense)
What about hex editing? Using DDS files will require to hex edit the file. :( (gotta take it to the next level 8-))

I'm also planning on doing an alternate way of doing the numbers... stay tuned. (yes...hex editing will still be involved)

Ok, hex editing doesn't scare me (not too much :D ), it's just that I like to understand the reasons of what you are doing

Thanks a lot :)

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:07 am

Rixster67r wrote:I think that hex editing way......might be easier?

It would be easier if you're doing the numbers. We can duplicate the "make the first color in the palette transparent" option in MUER with a simple hex edit but we would have more flexibility with being able to change any color's transparency with the hex editor.

lichtental wrote:Ok, hex editing doesn't scare me (not too much :D ), it's just that I like to understand the reasons of what you are doing

Thanks a lot :)

I will try to be more descriptive and explain why i'm doing it a certain way.

lichtental
MVP

Postby lichtental » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:39 am

elguapo wrote:I will try to be more descriptive and explain why i'm doing it a certain way.

I never meant to criticize your tutorials :) it's normal that some things are explained only through questions and answers

unless you have pick6's talent :D

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:18 am

lichtental wrote:
elguapo wrote:I will try to be more descriptive and explain why i'm doing it a certain way.

I never meant to criticize your tutorials :) it's normal that some things are explained only through questions and answers

unless you have pick6's talent :D

I'm not very good at explaining so that's why I'd rather do the videos. But yeah, unless I have pick6's talent I'll stick to the videos. lol

mee
Hall of Fame

Postby mee » Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:44 pm

why is 9 the only one requiring hex editing? EDIT: so its not 9 its just the last one?
Also FF is hex for 255 or 255,255,255 i didn't hear very clearly.
So the Giants traded Beckham....

elguapo
Hall of Fame

Postby elguapo » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:01 pm

mee wrote:why is 9 the only one requiring hex editing? EDIT: so its not 9 its just the last one?

elguapo wrote:instead of having to hex edit all the numbers, you only hex edit one number and that updates the palette for that set.

mee wrote:Also FF is hex for 255 or 255,255,255 i didn't hear very clearly.

NICK has a nice blending scale for the alpha channel.
http://www.footballidiot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=15811&start=20

Return to “Modding”