NFL 1970 Mod

A spot for your mods in progress.
Leeman67
MVP

Re: NFL 1970 Mod

Postby Leeman67 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:19 pm

Houston Oilers (these images are actually the 67 unis; the '70 uniforms contain subtle changes to the helmet and pants stripes, and socks that I can update for this mod):

Attachments
1971 Oilers Home.zip
(238.99 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
1971 Oilers Away.zip
(238.84 KiB) Downloaded 119 times

Sponsor

Sponsor

Leeman67
MVP

Postby Leeman67 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:22 pm

Saints road jerseys (black numbers in '70)

Attachments
1970 Saints Away.zip
(650.79 KiB) Downloaded 122 times

superben21
MVP

Postby superben21 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:48 pm

Uniforms: I downloaded NICK's uniform set and analyzed them. I found which uniforms are correct for 1970 which was about 80% of them. I also looked at Leehman's uniforms which he has screenshots for on this thread and have selected the ones I needed to help complete the set. Right now I have about 90% of the uniforms I need. Below is the overall list of what I will be using and which teams still need correct uniforms.

Uniform List
Bears = home (?), away (?)
Bengals = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Bills = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Broncos = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Browns = home (?), away (?)
Buccaneers = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Cardinals = home (?), away (NICK)
Chargers = home (Leehman), away (Leehman)
Chiefs = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Colts = home (?), away (NICK)
Cowboys = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Dolphins = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Eagles = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Falcons = home (NICK), away (NICK)
49ers = home (Leehman), away (Leehman)
Giants = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Fictional Team 1
Jets = home (?), away (NICK)
Lions = home (NICK), away (?)
Packers = home (?), away (?)
Fictional Team 2
Patriots = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Raiders = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Rams = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Fictional Team 3
Redskins = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Saints = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Seahawks = home (?), away (?)
Steelers = home (NICK), away (Leehman)
Fictional Team 4
Oilers = home (Leehman), away (Leehman)
Vikings = home (NICK), away (NICK)

Still Needed Uniform List
Cardinals = home (?)
Colts = home (?)
Jets = home (?)
Lions = away (?)

A few of these uniforms could be completed with simple changes to NICK's uniforms like changing the Browns pants colors to white instead of orange on two of his alternates, etc...

Thanks to NICK for allowing me to include his uniforms in this mod.

Leehman: if you have any of these uniforms in your set could you post them here? As you can see some of them I have already decided to include.
~ Superben21 | An active moderator at one point or another.

Leeman67
MVP

Postby Leeman67 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:20 am

Uniform List
Bengals = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Bills = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Broncos = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Buccaneers = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Cardinals = home (?), away (NICK)
Chargers = home (Leehman), away (Leehman)
Chiefs = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Colts = home (?), away (NICK)
Cowboys = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Dolphins = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Eagles = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Falcons = home (NICK), away (NICK)
49ers = home (Leehman), away (Leehman)
Giants = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Fictional Team 1
Jets = home (?), away (NICK)
Lions = home (NICK), away (?)
Fictional Team 2
Patriots = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Raiders = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Rams = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Fictional Team 3
Redskins = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Saints = home (NICK), away (NICK)
Steelers = home (NICK), away (Leehman)
Fictional Team 4
Oilers = home (Leehman), away (Leehman)
Vikings = home (NICK), away (NICK)

Still Needed Uniform List
Cardinals = home (?)
Colts = home (?)
Jets = home (?)
Lions = away (?)

Superben - absolutely no problem. I ran through his Uniforms.dat file as well, and here's what I came up with (using this link as a reference: http://www.gridiron-uniforms.com/1970.html ):

Bears - NICK did create these, and they should be in there as uniform nos. 8 & 9
Browns - Likewise. They are uniform nos. 46 & 47
Cardinals - These are uniform nos. 77 and 95, but we just need to switch them to black shoes
Colts - These need to be created, although arguably you could use the current uniform as it is basically the same (except for the "Colts" script written on the jersey front). I will add these.
Jets - I'll add these (he created a 70's uniform, but just needs black shoes and a slight adjustment to the helmet logo)
Lions - Already in there; Uniform nos. 205 & 206
Packers - Uniform nos. 241 & 242 (i'll make a slight adjustment to the helmet logo)
Seahawks - I have the 1976 version w/ black shoes that I can provide for this mod

Here are some other adjustments I can make to those he already created:

Bengals - Will change to black shoes and grey facemask
Broncos - NICK's (uniform nos. 60 & 59) are the 80's version, so you may want to use the ones I posted
Chiefs - I can add new ones for these. The 1970 version had black shoes and grey facemasks (and a slightly larger helmet logo)
Cowboys - I would go with my version - black shoes and darker shade of blue-ish grey pants and helmets
Dolphins - needs black shoes
Patriots - slight adjustment to the socks (probably not that important)
Raiders - white jerseys had silver numbers, which I have (see post above)
Saints - white jerseys had black numbers (also see above post)

So let me know and I can make these adjustments as well. I'll upload the dat files here shortly. Glad I can help! :)

NICK
All-Pro

Postby NICK » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:19 am

I'm almost 99.9% sure I created a 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's set for each team including the Sea Hawks ........ putting the seahawk on the sleeve was a royal pain.

I really thought I included the Saints away uni with the black numbers cuz I remember looking at pictures of archie manning as he was really the only saints player from that era that I remembered.

Now some of the unis from the 70's may be middle 70's, late 70's, or early 70's ...... I went with what I thought was the better of the 70's era depending on the team so there may be slight differences.

white shoes really didn't come in til around 74 for the most part, but some teams still wore black. I think around 76 til the end of the 70's white shoes were dominantly worn by most teams.

I redid the Cowboys unis several times with my favorite version being the 75 - 80 uniform with the blue silver pants and the numbers on the shoulders. I also redid them several times as most film and photos depict cowboys colors as a darker blue than they actually were ..... film and photos are very misleading with regard to the cowboys royal blue. Their color blue on the helmet was also royal blue ....... it tended to look darker though once they started using the pro tough type decals that put the actual star decal underneath about a 16th of an inch of clear vinyl. You have to hunt high and low for photos and film that will show the true shade of cowboy royal blue. "A football life" program about Tom Landry has a ton of footage in it that correctly shows the decals on the helmet, the blue jersey, as being a royal blue.

I believe that the reason why film and photos did not capture for the most part the true shade of blue is because of lens filters for the camera equipment. You needed to have a blue lense filter to capture the true shade of blue, other wise it would appear much darker than it actually is.

Now Staubach and cliff harris wore helmets that had their decals under the helmet clear coat which actually made their helmet stars easier to detect the royal blue shade.

As you can see, depending on lighting and whether or not a blue filter is used on the camera lense ..... cowboy blue can look darker or lighter ...... but the color is actually royal blue. The cliff Harris helmet from 1976 is many years later ..... the white stripe has yellowed, and the blue stripe has darkened over the years. You can see under the red stripe, the original color of the blue, which matches the star under neath the helmet clear coat.

JOHN 3:16

Leeman67
MVP

Postby Leeman67 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:10 pm

Interesting stuff re: the Cowboys NICK. Their uniforms circa 1973-1980 will always be my favorite, and you captured them brilliantly (the numbers, in particular). :) And you're right, the different shades of blue, silver, blue-grey, etc. that they have used since about '64 to the current season have always been very difficult to interpret in graphics due to the different lightning effects,etc. (the "orange" Broncos jerseys from the 60's and 70's are a similar issue).

Re: the Saints throwbacks - yeah the ones you created have gold numbers on their white jerseys, which they had from '67-69 (and in my opinion, are the best looking unis they ever wore). In all honesty, they are probably just fine for a 1970 mod - I'm just a geek about details so I love adding/changing the subtle changes in teams' uniforms from year-to-year. ;)

Leeman67
MVP

Postby Leeman67 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:41 pm

Superben - I have updated the Uniforms.dat file that NICK provided as well as the DBTemplates file. Let me know and I'll post a link so you can download it (zipped, it's a little less than 300mb). Once you have that, here are the uniform numbers you'll want to have as your defaults for the mod (should be in order of dark jersey, white jersey). The ones I tweaked or added to the dat file are in BOLD:

Bears - 8,9
Bengals - 408,409
Bills - 39,38
Broncos - 434,435
Browns - 46,47
Bucs - 67,66 (?)
Cardinals - 415,416
Chargers - 471,472
Chiefs - 404,405
Colts - 424,425
Cowboys - 398,397
Dolphins - 99,100
Eagles - 134,133
Falcons - 154,155
49ers - 448,449
Giants - 171,172
Jaguars - ?
Jets - 422,423
Lions - 205,206
Packers - 241,242
Panthers - ?
Patriots - 475,476
Raiders - 258,372
Rams - 267,266
Ravens - ?
Redskins - 281,285
Saints - 375,376
Seahawks - 402,403
Steelers - 368,399
Oilers - 377,378
Vikings - 326,321
Texans - ?

Here's some additional info that you may find useful - the following teams wore white jerseys at home in 1970: Bengals, Browns, Cowboys, Rams :)

superben21
MVP

Postby superben21 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:45 pm

Thanks for the input guys!

Leeman: could you upload the file(s)? I would like to take a look at them when I get a chance :)

EDIT: I will respond in further detail to some of this after Leeman uploads his edited file.

Leeman67
MVP

Postby Leeman67 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:21 pm

Before I upload it, one thing I neglected to do, and that was to get NICK's permission to do so. My apologies to you, NICK. Even after my additions, it's still your base dat file, so before I upload it and provide a link (essentially, "distributing" something that doesn't belong to me), I want to make sure you're ok with it.

Thanks in advance! :)

superben21
MVP

Postby superben21 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:17 pm

Leeman67 wrote:Before I upload it, one thing I neglected to do, and that was to get NICK's permission to do so. My apologies to you, NICK. Even after my additions, it's still your base dat file, so before I upload it and provide a link (essentially, "distributing" something that doesn't belong to me), I want to make sure you're ok with it.

Thanks in advance! :)

NICK Already gave permission...

NICK wrote:*****
superben21 wrote: wrote:
Thanks NICK, I'll take a look. Would it be ok with you if I (or someone for me) extracted some of the uniforms and created a new file?

Absolutely ..... all of my stuff was given to the community long ago to use however the user wants.

Return to “Mods In Progress”