Toon Portrait Replacement MOD

A spot for your mods in progress.
trey31
Hall of Fame

Re: No More Toon Portraits MOD

Postby trey31 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:13 pm

RevanFan wrote:
trey31 wrote:Honestly it kills the immersion for me. Instead of seeing a thumbnail of an actual photo, I see videogame people whom I have no sense of connection with. Never make it past year 4-5 in franchises because I stop caring about who I sign or cut when they both have the same dead eyes.

I'm currently in season 51 of my franchise. It would look absolutely horrible WITH real portraits at this point.

I simmed all the way to season 30 once on a PS2 Madden. Out of curiosity, how many Super Bowls have you won in 51 seasons?
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

Sponsor

Sponsor

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:17 pm

1312qohelet wrote:Hey, that could be a backup plan....using Super Nintendo sprites!
Abobo and the Double-Dragon crew, Altered Beast, Bad Dudes, Mario and Luigi, and countless others.
Maybe even the "Codec" pics of all the characters in Metal Gear Solid.

Only if we use both of these :lol:
Spoiler:
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:25 pm

trey31 wrote:
RevanFan wrote:
trey31 wrote:Honestly it kills the immersion for me. Instead of seeing a thumbnail of an actual photo, I see videogame people whom I have no sense of connection with. Never make it past year 4-5 in franchises because I stop caring about who I sign or cut when they both have the same dead eyes.

I'm currently in season 51 of my franchise. It would look absolutely horrible WITH real portraits at this point.

I simmed all the way to season 30 once on a PS2 Madden. Out of curiosity, how many Super Bowls have you won in 51 seasons?

I play on Pro difficulty, so... all of them. I have no desire for challenging gameplay in my franchise. That's what my historic Cowboys tournament is for. My franchise is basically my "roster management simulator". Frick, my favorite part is the preseason because I use full 90-man rosters.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

rogerjinx
Hall of Fame

Postby rogerjinx » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:52 pm

trey31 wrote:
rogerjinx wrote:Last time I overwrote the toon portraits when I created the HD Portrait Pack, it messed up some non-toon portraits by having toon parts-mustache, hair. Just replace only the toon faces and not the toon parts.

One more thing, you can use batch import if you do portraits in MUER just like what I did in the HD portrait pack.

Does HD Portrait Pack already have all the toon images replaced with photos? Or you scrapped it?

I was planning to use the bald hair DDS dat file (transparency only, 16x16px, File #2405 in DEX) to replace all of the hair files as well. You think I should leave them alone? Won't the hair and mustaches appear over these photo portraits if I leave them?

I retained the toon faces to avoid some issues with the HD portraits. I only replaced the 1st 32 slots who belong to retired players for the team helmets.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:35 pm

rogerjinx wrote:
trey31 wrote:
rogerjinx wrote:Last time I overwrote the toon portraits when I created the HD Portrait Pack, it messed up some non-toon portraits by having toon parts-mustache, hair. Just replace only the toon faces and not the toon parts.

One more thing, you can use batch import if you do portraits in MUER just like what I did in the HD portrait pack.

Does HD Portrait Pack already have all the toon images replaced with photos? Or you scrapped it?

I was planning to use the bald hair DDS dat file (transparency only, 16x16px, File #2405 in DEX) to replace all of the hair files as well. You think I should leave them alone? Won't the hair and mustaches appear over these photo portraits if I leave them?

I retained the toon faces to avoid some issues with the HD portraits. I only replaced the 1st 32 slots who belong to retired players for the team helmets.

I've got a lot more work to do with this plus testing, but once it is finished would you be willing to merge this with yours so they wouldn't be separate and incompatible dats?

rogerjinx
Hall of Fame

Postby rogerjinx » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:11 pm

trey31 wrote:
rogerjinx wrote:
trey31 wrote:

I've got a lot more work to do with this plus testing, but once it is finished would you be willing to merge this with yours so they wouldn't be separate and incompatible dats?

Sure.. Also, it would also be helpful for roster makers to make the portraits resemble the toon version - I know it is tedious but it is worth it in the long run once done.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:51 pm

rogerjinx wrote:
trey31 wrote:
rogerjinx wrote:

Sure.. Also, it would also be helpful for roster makers to make the portraits resemble the toon version - I know it is tedious but it is worth it in the long run once done.

Can you elaborate a bit more on what you'd like? Do you mean matching the skin tone of the toon in the dat to the tone of the photo that replaces it?

rogerjinx
Hall of Fame

Postby rogerjinx » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:11 pm

trey31 wrote:
rogerjinx wrote:
trey31 wrote:

Can you elaborate a bit more on what you'd like? Do you mean matching the skin tone of the toon in the dat to the tone of the photo that replaces it?

Yes, that's what I meant.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:14 pm

rogerjinx wrote:
trey31 wrote:
rogerjinx wrote:

Yes, that's what I meant.

Ok that should be doable. I'll pres-sort the portraits not only by light/medium/dark, but also by hue/tone.

trey31
Hall of Fame

Postby trey31 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:36 pm

Have a new jersey template to make these go quicker. Using a Raiders 2017 jersey that I modified to have a front layer and a back layer, then I open the base portraits as "Open as Layer" in GIMP, and if the back layer is selected (and below the front layer in the layers select cell) the new layer opens already in-between the front and rear portions. Then I just scale layer to 225-240px and export it and overwrite. Should make the process much quicker.

Also my base portraits are all indexed color, so this saves several steps since I don't have to change the color mode to scale the layer.
Attachments
155887.png
155887.png (56.7 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
150724.png
150724.png (61.91 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
137351.png
137351.png (63.79 KiB) Viewed 1651 times

Return to “Mods In Progress”