FF/FI Mod Discussion Thread

A spot for your mods in progress.
RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:20 am

First, two things. No, I have NOT started work on the mod yet officially. No, this is not the official name of the mod, though it may be if I don't think of anything better. As has been posted before, the mod is going to become an ever evolving platform. To read more about that, go here. I am currently trying to work out how to make it work, and continuously keep it working harmoniously with Rogerjinx's roster. I started this thread now because I have a very important question to ask the community, and I want all opinions on this. So please, speak up. I am considering one of two options for releasing the mod. I want to know which one the community prefers.

1. Release the mod as a COMPLETE PACKAGE when enough work is finished, and provide future updates as PATCHES or UPDATE PACKAGES.

2. Release the mod in SEPARATE PARTS, specific to TYPE OF UPDATE. For instance, one file would be Uniforms, one would be other core files, such as stadiums and DB_TEMPLATES, and another would be less important files. Each one would need to be downloaded for the full package to work, but they could be downloaded separately (smaller files overall) and updated separately (so only downloads of updated parts would be necessary, instead of downloading a full package every time.)

Please do let me know your thoughts, anyone who reads this and uses our mod or plans to use it in the future.
Support me on Cash App - $RevanFan
Historic Cowboys Teams Mod
My Cowboys Journal
I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and a lifelong New Yorker.

Sponsor

Sponsor

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Re: FF/FI Mod Discussion Thread

Postby 1312qohelet » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:44 am

#1 is great, because everything is there....almost like a new issue of the game.
Just copy, paste and you're off and running.
The downside is the longer waiting periods.
It's never bothered me so much, because I get a lot out of r-jinx' rosters.

I like #2, as well .
Updated files will be posted when they are finished? Sounds pretty good.
I think it would work well, because rogerjinx is constantly updating DB_TEMPLATES, rosters/franchises, and mug-shits.

As of right now, I am leaning toward #2

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:50 am

1312qohelet wrote:#1 is great, because everything is there....almost like a new issue of the game.
Just copy, paste and you're off and running.
The downside is the longer waiting periods.
It's never bothered me so much, because I get a lot out of r-jinx' rosters.

I like #2, as well .
Updated files will be posted when they are finished? Sounds pretty good.
I think it would work well, because rogerjinx is constantly updating DB_TEMPLATES, rosters/franchises, and mug-shits.

As of right now, I am leaning toward #2

Well, to be more specific on #2, the files would all still be plug and play, but they'd just be included in separate zips.
My Cowboys Journal

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:06 am

RevanFan wrote:Well, to be more specific on #2, the files would all still be plug and play, but they'd just be included in separate zips.

Understood.
#2 sounds even better.

I think you kind of hit a "ceiling" with XV and XVI.
That is not a jab at the modders, but a statement to the limitations of the game.
We can still accomplish a lot, but perhaps, the patches would be the way to go, from now on.

I would like to see everyone's take on this.
Especially the folks who have been here as long as you and the other moderators.

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:13 am

So, this is how I picture it.

All the files, the same ones from XVI (updated, obviously) would be in the mod. It would be the same as downloading it whole, only split into pieces. The .rars could be like this (work in progress):

Code: Select all

1. FF/FI Uniforms.rar (date of last update in these parentheses)
2. FF/FI Core.rar (date of last update)
3. FF/FI Program Files.rar (date of last update)
4. FF/FI Graphics.rar (date of last update)
5. FF/FI Data and Other Files.rar (date of last update; also not sure what would be included in this one. Might get cut from the list.)

Any time one or more of them had to be updated, only the ones that were updated would be downloaded again, and the date in parentheses would be updated so you can know if you need to download it again.
My Cowboys Journal

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:05 am

I prefer waiting until the mod is complete, then downloading the whole package. It's better that way.

There are people who visit our site as guests; and they want to download mods, or read tutorials, but they don't want to check back on our site every single day. If we release the mod in parts, it's going to make it hard for them to download it all. We need to say, "Hey, this mod is in development, so if you want a mod, go get the FF/FI XVI."

Also, I hate the idea of some people having different versions of the mod than others. If you release it in bits and pieces then that's exactly what you'll get. Some people will have some parts of the mod, some people will have other parts - I can't even imagine how hard it would be to use the mod for online play. Even when the project is complete, there will still be a few people who only have a few parts of the mod. It would be a hassle.

Trust me RevanFan, if you release the mod in bits and pieces, it will make it difficult for everyone. Don't do it please.

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:31 am

JSamuel wrote:I prefer waiting until the mod is complete, then downloading the whole package. It's better that way.

You make some valid points.
I like the "package deal", I just like #2 a little better.

There are people who visit our site as guests; and they want to download mods, or read tutorials, but they don't want to check back on our site every single day. If we release the mod in parts, it's going to make it hard for them to download it all.

For the sake of discussion, he did say the instructions would be minimal.
Well, he used the perfect phrase, "plug and play."
You have been here long enough to know that daily releases are unrealistic. Not to say, they won't ever happen, but few and far between.
And it will be easy to keep track.
Every file would be dated. More downloading over time, but less waiting.
Also, I hate the idea of some people having different versions of the mod than others. If you release it in bits and pieces then that's exactly what you'll get. Some people will have some parts of the mod, some people will have other parts - I can't even imagine how hard it would be to use the mod for online play. Even when the project is complete, there will still be a few people who only have a few parts of the mod. It would be a hassle.

There aren't many of us who care for online play.
And from what I have read, there aren't many online players who use our mod.

I am not trying to turn this into a "needs of the few vs needs of the many" argument. Everyone's individual desires should carry the same weight. And I think they do.

That is why RevanFan opened this thread.

JSamuel
Hall of Fame

Postby JSamuel » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:19 am

1312qohelet wrote:
JSamuel wrote:Also, I hate the idea of some people having different versions of the mod than others. If you release it in bits and pieces then that's exactly what you'll get. Some people will have some parts of the mod, some people will have other parts - I can't even imagine how hard it would be to use the mod for online play. Even when the project is complete, there will still be a few people who only have a few parts of the mod. It would be a hassle.

There aren't many of us who care for online play.
And from what I have read, there aren't many online players who use our mod.

I'm not just talking about online play. I only used it as an example to show this:

I despise the idea that there would be many people who would have parts of the mod, but not all. There would be many different "versions" of the mod out there. Copies of the mod would be vary depending on how long each person stuck around to download updates. You ask someone, "Do you have the FF/FI Mod?" and they respond, "Well, I have the uniforms pack, and the stadiums pack... But I don't think I have the whole mod." That would be bull.

And even though I'm not on the mod team, I still want the best for this mod, and for the developers. So let me tell you, it is so much easier to troubleshoot bugs, release fixes, help people, and much more if everyone's running the same version. If somebody posts in the mod thread and says, "I'm having trouble with this mod because [fill in the blank]," How do you even know he has all the mod files you do?

In this thread, Gridiron says:

Gridiron wrote:October 31st, 2016 Microsoft will inhibit the last legal way to obtain a new copy of Windows® 7

Why do you think they would do that? Because Microsoft knows that their job is easier if everyone's running the same version of Windows.

I can not make it clear enough. As mod developers, your life will be better if everyone's using the same version of your mod. And that's not going to happen if you release it in bits and pieces over a period of time.

BUS36
Hall of Fame

Postby BUS36 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:17 pm

Gentleman,

OK..the base of the MOD is done ..EA does not recreate Madden every year. They just keep the base and add on to what they have. giving bits and pieces is ok that is what they do was weekly up dates.Waiting for the whole Mod is fine also getting updated files is also fine.The state of our Mod to me is this ( and is only my opinion).
.DAT files can be just plug and play as long as they are being used the same by all parties. r-jinx has been has been updating the uniforms with the color rush, portraits and with his roster. Those can be done as needed to be updated like it is now. Stadiums and scripts can be done the same way. An initial CORE release should be done first, to get everyone on the the same path.
I feel the whatever the course shall take I will go along with it.
In closing, r-jinx has most of the 2016-2017 season setup, other than soloplayers, stadiums and a few other things we are nearly right there.I will always help out as much as I can. This is a great bunch of very smart men who give their own time to get this done and every year a MOD comes out we should all raise a glass of our favorite beverage to the team.

BUS36
I bleed BLACK N GOLD

RevanFan
Legend

Postby RevanFan » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:07 pm

JSamuel, I specifically said that the mod would not work without all parts. It's just segmenting it so it uses less bandwidth for people with restrictions, and takes less time overall, and makes updating files easier. The thread title would be updated every time there's a new update, as well as a new post being posted. I would also state to check the thread periodically for updates.

Does that make #2 any more appealing, or do you still like #1?
My Cowboys Journal

Return to “Mods In Progress”