HD Ball Mod v.3.0 (DAT)

A collection of all finished mods!
trey31
Hall of Fame

Re: HD Ball Mod v.3.0 (DAT)

Postby trey31 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:42 pm

1312qohelet wrote:Yeah, looks great to me!

Thanks Q!

The v.2.0 looks fantastic upclose, but the moire effect from having the limited palette was driving me nuts.

In texmod with 16 million colors available in RGB the 64x64 texture I used didn't have that issue, but that's because each bright pixel was buffered by anti-aliasing pixels that smoothed the texture. When indexed to 256 colors, it forced a lot of hard edges and that caused the moire issue.

In my humble opinion, the actual dimple texture doesn't look as nice in v.3.0 as it does in v.2.0 (not the overlay, that looks significantly better in v.3.0) but the problem is that, while it looks nice outside the game, it caused issues when rendered in-game.

Madden palette limitations strike again. :roll:

On the other hand, v.3.0 has literally no moire effect, looks good regardless of render size/distance, and still looks significantly improved over the default ball.
My M08 mod work is all open-source to anyone who wants to use it in any way, no restrictions or permissions necessary.

Sponsor

Sponsor

1312qohelet
Hall of Fame

Postby 1312qohelet » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:27 pm

trey31 wrote:
1312qohelet wrote:Yeah, looks great to me!

Thanks Q!

The v.2.0 looks fantastic upclose, but the moire effect from having the limited palette was driving me nuts.

In texmod with 16 million colors available in RGB the 64x64 texture I used didn't have that issue, but that's because each bright pixel was buffered by anti-aliasing pixels that smoothed the texture. When indexed to 256 colors, it forced a lot of hard edges and that caused the moire issue.

In my humble opinion, the actual dimple texture doesn't look as nice in v.3.0 as it does in v.2.0 (not the overlay, that looks significantly better in v.3.0) but the problem is that, while it looks nice outside the game, it caused issues when rendered in-game.

Madden palette limitations strike again. :roll:

On the other hand, v.3.0 has literally no moire effect, looks good regardless of render size/distance, and still looks significantly improved over the default ball.

I like them all, but v3 looks the best....in my eyes and on my screen, anyway.

Return to “Finished Mods”